Smallest Dual Deploy Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done dual deploy in a tiny rocket, perhaps with an 18mm composite D motor?

This might be a way to get high altitudes when flying from a smaller field...

We have an AltusMetrum EasyMini and it works well, but it won't fit in an 18mm minimum diameter rocket

Are there dual deploy (or non-apogee / main-only single deploy) altimeters available smaller than the EasyMini?

The Eggtimer Quark fits in a BT-50 (24mm) tube but you do either solder it yourself or have it done for you. Though at $20 it is pretty cheap if you happen to mess it up.

I have fit an Eggtimer Quark into an 18mm frame. Before I soldered the components on the board I wet sanded material off of both edges of the board. You can go even smaller if you add jumpers to span the traces you removed. I am sure that this will void Cris's warranty but at $20 it is not much risk. You will also need to mount the FETs at a slight angle if needed and not use terminal blocks.

For a Quark to fit into an 18mm tube, I recommend leaving out the high-profile through-hole parts... the terminal block and the header pins. If you need to set the deployments to something other than defaults (drogue at apogee, main at 500') you can simply solder a jumper across the appropriate pads. With the 300 mAH Turnigy 2S battery ( https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-300mah-2s-45-90c-lipo-pack.html ) it should fit fine.

Not to dissuade the intent of the OP but, in my mind, building a BT-50 rocket rather than a BT-20 based one (or using an 18/24 transition) would be a more viable choice than carving down an already rather small gizmo. But it is an intriguing idea - how small, how high, how light can you go and have a reasonable chance of recovering the rocket is a fun goal to shoot for.

Has anyone ever done dual deploy in a tiny rocket, perhaps with an 18mm composite D motor?

This might be a way to get high altitudes when flying from a smaller field...

We have an AltusMetrum EasyMini and it works well, but it won't fit in an 18mm minimum diameter rocket

Are there dual deploy (or non-apogee / main-only single deploy) altimeters available smaller than the EasyMini?
The Telemini should fit. It's narrower than the Easymini, but it will cost a lot more.

The new altiDuo are ready. it also has its own battery and switch. This should be very easy for beginners!!!
it can fit in a model rockets and do dual recovery

IMG_20210320_151459.jpg

The Telemini should fit. It's narrower than the Easymini, but it will cost a lot more.

Things to note about the cost of the TeleMini. It is a Dual Deployment, Data Logging, Flight Computer, WITH a 70cm RF Beacon built in. All of this, and it easily fits inside an 18mm coupler. It can be tracked with a $35 BaoFeng radio. The Technical Support @bdale and @keithp provide is beyond outstanding. It's a fantastic value.

The TeleMini can be flown AS-IS without the need to program it. By DEFAULT, it will blow a charge at Apogee, the Main is blown at 250 Meters. The RF Beacon transmits on 434.550MHz.

On the pad, the RF beacon transmits the ematch status (3 beeps if both matches are connected). After Apogee, it transmits a beacon every 5 seconds. You can monitor your TeleMini status from a mile away or more.

The TeleDongle or TeleBT are NOT needed if the default settings are fine, and you do not want to pull flight data. A USB connection can also be wired, with care, directly on the TeleMini board. You will not be able pull the flight logs without one of these interfaces.

Boris' latest µAltiDuo is an AWESOME addition to the 18mm DD capable devices. The $50ish price makes it even more appealing. It is super simple to use. Just attach your charges and battery. Good to go. I've used the AltiDuo SMT. I can't wait to try the latest µAltiDuo.

Back