Smaller engine help for a Star Orbiter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich56

Reaction score
After many years I'm returning to model rocketing. I just received from Santa a Star Orbiter. Its suggested engines are E16-6 and F15-8. Then I found my local club has a 800 ft altitude limit and the package of the rocket quotes 1800 ft flight. Is there a adapter to use D engines for first and other flights for lower altitude? Recommendations are appreciated.

The E16 flew over 1000' on my star orbiter. You can buy a 29 to 24mm adapter or make your own with some correct tubing and centering rings.

1609460448228.png
1609460556249.png

Ran a quick Rocksim simulation from a file at EMRR.
D12-5 shows 529 ft. apogee.
4.68 sec. optimal delay
Speed off launch rod is 41 fps.
E12-6 goes over your ceiling at 1030 ft.
Maybe your club should look for a bigger field with a higher ceiling? :D
2020-12-31.png

Last edited:
After many years I'm returning to model rocketing. I just received from Santa a Star Orbiter. Its suggested engines are E16-6 and F15-8. Then I found my local club has a 800 ft altitude limit and the package of the rocket quotes 1800 ft flight. Is there a adapter to use D engines for first and other flights for lower altitude? Recommendations are appreciated.
I’ve flown my SO on a D15 and it‘s performance pretty much matched Kuririn’s sims. The SO is a fun rocket and flies great on a lot of different motors.

Thanks so much for the info. The D12-5 will give me what I need for a first launch. My home state of NJ is crowded. There is another club to check out. I will be checking out clubs near my winter home. Vero Beach Florida

Thanks so much for the info. The D12-5 will give me what I need for a first launch. My home state of NJ is crowded. There is another club to check out. I will be checking out clubs near my winter home. Vero Beach Florida
Where do you fly and/or live in NJ?

winter home. Vero Beach Florida

I just visited the Ft. Myers Tripoli website. They fly out of LaBelle which is not terribly far from Vero. A couple of hours of rural driving. The space coast also has a rocket club (real rocket scientists!) near Titusville. Less than a couple of hours up I-75.

I fly with Tampa Tripoli.

Where do you fly and/or live in NJ?
Toms River. There are 2 clubs driving distance. The one with the 800 ft ceiling is around Wall Township. There’s actually a big enough retention basin (dry) behind me for a first launch. But I’ll be in Florida soon. I will be seeking the Palm Beach club

Toms River. There are 2 clubs driving distance. The one with the 800 ft ceiling is around Wall Township. There’s actually a big enough retention basin (dry) behind me for a first launch. But I’ll be in Florida soon. I will be seeking the Palm Beach club

For future spring/summer launching, you're about equidistant (a bit less than 2 hours away) from both BARC, down south, and Radical Rocketeers, up north. Both have nice farms to fly on, and 5000' waiver.

Flown on a D12-3 using the adapter. Nice beautiful, slow flight - absolutely straight with no roll. Deployment at apogee, estimated 400-500 feet.

so you fly with cenjars, I was considering joining . What is the other club ?

I just visited the Ft. Myers Tripoli website. They fly out of LaBelle which is not terribly far from Vero. A couple of hours of rural driving. The space coast also has a rocket club (real rocket scientists!) near Titusville. Less than a couple of hours up I-75.

I fly with Tampa Tripoli.
I was at the Labelle launch yesterday, had a good time, the Florida Gators university team was there. Vero is much closer (30 miles) to the Spacecoast Rocketry Association launch site in Palm Bay, which at this time is probably the best site in Florida. Next launch in Palm Bay on January 16.

I’ve flown with CENJARS in Wall NJ since 2018, and we routinely fly stock Goblins on D-12’s to well over 1,000ft...I’ve also flown a Star Orbiter there on E’s and F’s....Not a problem as long as you use a chute release, we always try to set up to use the wind favorably....I’ve never been told that the ceiling is 800ft....
Anyway, bring the Star Orbiter and have some fun! And as others have mentioned, BARC high power in Bridgeton and Radical Rocketeers high power in Great Meadows are on farms and have higher altitude waivers...In October at BARC, I flew a 3” Madcow Twitch to 5993ft!
Cheers
Franz in NJ

I’ve flown with CENJARS in Wall NJ since 2018, and we routinely fly stock Goblins on D-12’s to well over 1,000ft...I’ve also flown a Star Orbiter there on E’s and F’s....Not a problem as long as you use a chute release, we always try to set up to use the wind favorably....I’ve never been told that the ceiling is 800ft....
Anyway, bring the Star Orbiter and have some fun! And as others have mentioned, BARC high power in Bridgeton and Radical Rocketeers high power in Great Meadows are on farms and have higher altitude waivers...In October at BARC, I flew a 3” Madcow Twitch to 5993ft!
Cheers
Franz in NJ
yes , but great meadows and Bridgeton are a drive. Esp Gest Meadows which may involved rt 80. I wonder about SOJARs. Thanks for replying.

Back