Small Field MPR?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My field is roughly 700ft x 500ft. I have yet to launch anything over D12 however I am fairly confident that my Falcon 9, Maxi Alpha III, Firebolt and TopShot would stay within the field if launched with an E9 on a calm day. I bought some E9's so I plan to try it Friday morning.

I have spares for all four rockets so I am willing to take a small risk.

My field is roughly 700ft x 500ft. I have yet to launch anything over D12 however I am fairly confident that my Falcon 9, Maxi Alpha III, Firebolt and TopShot would stay within the field if launched with an E9 on a calm day. I bought some E9's so I plan to try it Friday morning.

I have spares for all four rockets so I am willing to take a small risk.

It'll definitely stay on the field since your rocket will go about 10 ft. high and the motor will CATO. :p
Estes E9s have a colorful history...

D is just right for that site, unless the neighbors are extremely friendly. :)

Dog park and lake on one side, industrial complexes on the other three sides. When it comes to my launch site it is all about knowing the REAL direction of the wind and adjusting my launch position if needed. Adding, my park is directly underneath one of the main runways for MSP airport.

Roughly a month ago I accidentally launched a Show Stopper with a D engine. I was intending to use a C. I think it landed in the next county... LOL

I printed out a few 29mm to 24mm adapters (you can also buy them...) the Estes PS-IIs on the F44-4 or the 24/40 reload E28-4's are nice and low. 500-700 ft and easily recoverable in your size field.

The trajector and Cosmic Interceptor will also fly nice and low on an E12-4. The Trajector will need the 29 -> 24 mm adapter.
[video=youtube;M0IzNWyCj9A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0IzNWyCj9A[/video]
Mine landed about 50' from the pad.
[video=youtube;36d5sijbufw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36d5sijbufw[/video]
The same trajector went into orbit on a G40-10. :)
[video=youtube;cFypokDRL18]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFypokDRL18[/video]

24>29mm adapters are easy to make. You need an appropriate length of BT55 (or you can roll your own). Wrap each end with a 1/2" wide piece of typing paper, putting a glue "dot" down every few inches. When the glue is thoroughly dry, cut a slot through the wrap on one end for an engine hook. Glue in an engine block in front of the end of the hook. The advantage of making one like this is that you can make the adapter longer, and shift the engine rearward, thus shifting the CG with a 24mm motor to near where the original CG would be with a 29mm motor.

A couple of examples:

emount2.jpg

m-mount.jpg

Attended my second Tripoli launch today. First time I launched my own rockets. Tried to launch my Falcon 9 with an E9 engine but it would seem I had a CATO. Hard to believe the Falcon 9 survived but it will fly again.

I am not sure what happened but my guess is the top cap of the engine blew out at ignition.

QUOTE=mccordmw;1713900]It'll definitely stay on the field since your rocket will go about 10 ft. high and the motor will CATO. :p
Estes E9s have a colorful history...[/QUOTE]

Back