Small cheap reliable altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you want to build an altimeter yourself you can have a look at my code on github.
However if you want to build a small altimeter that is not easy because you will have to buy the necessary equipment to solder SMT components so unless you plan on building lots of altimeters or your love electronics, the cheaper option would be to get it from a re-seller

What about this altimeter on ebay, any good?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-27-17-12-18-175.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-27-17-12-18-175.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 52
Or this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-27-17-16-25-191.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-27-17-16-25-191.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 26
What about this altimeter on ebay, any good?

For that rate, just buy a Firefly ($25 plus shipping), Flightsketch Mini (if they come back into stock), Eggtimer Quark ($20 plus shipping), or Eggtimer Apogee ($15 plus battery, which you can buy from Eggtimer plus shipping). If you're interested in/have skills to assemble your own electronics, the Eggtimers are an ideal entry point. All of these are well-proven in the hobby rocketry community, so you'll get a solid product.

If you want to get your feet wet with Eggtimer products, we recommend either the Apogee ($15, single-output plus apogee beep-out) or the Classic ($35, dual-output with datalogging, lots of options). Both of those use almost all through-hole components, which are a bit more tolerant of novice soldering techniques. We still recommend that you acquire some basic tools... a good 12W-15W pencil iron with a .032" tip, a mesh "sponge", a tinning block, and a lighted magnifier (either head magnifier or desktop ring-type magnifier). Money spent on tools is always a good investment... at least that's what I tell the Mrs.

I'm thinking about doing this just to see how difficult it would be. I figure if I can solder a stained glass window, I can solder an altimeter.

I was pretty much new to soldering, and was able to assemble a working Quantum on the first try (plus a little of Cris' help finding the joint that needed rework). It wasn't pretty, but it works. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Quark as an entry level project. A temperature-controlled soldering iron and some fine tips are a must though. I haven't personally assembled an Apogee yet, but it sounds a bit easier.

Well during the day, im a maintenance technician at a high rise community in downtown Raleigh nc, i have a couple of the basic soldering pen/guns like you get at wallmart and the magnifieng glass with gator clip connectors. I have done alot of basic soldering, but nothing really small. I feel confident trying the apoge but im sure once i get it im going to want the classic or quantum. Who doesnt want dual deployment with data?

Last edited:
Went with the quark, $5 more then apoge and worth every penny. Cant wait to get it in the mail and buture it with my soldering skills lol im going to have one sick estes 29mm vapor. Guess ill do like a 6" drogue and my new lightweight 1.1 32" ripstop w/20" spillhole fore lightweight. Idk if im going to make my own ebay or get a cheap 3d printed one. Seems like the 3d printed ones are strong and lightweight. Any ideas, send them my way.

Changed my mind on the quark and went ahead and got the quantum. If i lose the quantum then ill probably get the quark lol

Back