SLS Skyhook by SEMROC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
I got my Large scale Sky Hook Saturday and thought...kinda short...it needs something:rolleyes:

This is a dry fit of the parts. I had an extra bulkhead left from my Constellation+ kits.

Looks kinda cool! Doncha think?

sandman

Yeh , she looks sweet! Are you gonna build her stock or beef up the motor mount ? :D

EDIT :

She deffinetly needs a upscale! Maybe 29mm or 38mm ? ;)

The SLS kits come standard with a 29mm motor mount and a 24mm adaptor.

38mm is bigger than the body tube!

sandman

nice work Sandman! ,
I know these new upscales have the old-timer BAR appeal but, at the risk of treading sacred ground ... I'll be honest ,they do absolutly nothing for me
I know the quality and the excellent company behind them
but to me it's just annother 3fn(and payload tube in this case).

out of curisity(and due respect to the alpha generation),,just what is the draw to these type of kits?

Originally posted by stymye
out of curisity(and due respect to the alpha generation),,just what is the draw to these type of kits?
I guess you had to be there! This was pretty exciting stuff in it's day.

I'm building my first SEMROC kit as we speak and it happens to be the same SLS Skyhook (without payload). Did Sandman mention this baby will handle 29mm motors? I believe he did. I also ordered the Laser-X and the Hydra (7 engine cluster :D ). SEMROC is a first class operation all the way.

It's a nostagia thing.

You bring one to a launch...and all the...I mean us...old guys recognise a Sky Hook.

:D

I figured that was the reason and it makes sense ...I didn't get fully involved untill the mid 70's
although my first kit was an alpha, there were alot of scale type kits I remember drooling over and I seem to be drawn to that more than anything now...
sorry to interupt the build Sandman,thanks for the replys
I also have the semroc laser X it's a very nice kit !

I just drooled about 10 or 12 years earlier than you did.

I'm one of those early droolers as well. Sandman, that looks fantastic. I can't wait to get the SLS Skyhook. I've built the standard version, because I never got around to getting that one as a kid. I just like the looks of plain old 3 fin jobs when they are designed well, like the Skyhook and Alpha, for example. It is a nostalgia thing, but also sometimes you want to see a clean design that looks fast just sitting there.
Drew Tomko

I think I'll get my sons a pair of the SLS kits for Christmas. They'll love to build a "heavy duty" adult type rocket that is as nearly as simple as it's skill level 1 parent. Of course dad will be there to help. ;)

Originally posted by rbeckey
I think I'll get my sons a pair of the SLS kits for Christmas. They'll love to build a "heavy duty" adult type rocket that is as nearly as simple as it's skill level 1 parent. Of course dad will be there to help. ;)

10 points for rbeckey. I think he just hit the nail on the head. In their early years, the kids will never know the difference. They drool over rockets like this regardless of the fin configuration. Just wait 'til they are BARs. Technology may advance to something other than BP or APCP yet whatever powers their rockets will still have vintage and nostalgic shells. Remembering youth exclusively through one object is worth more than the object itself or whatever it is supposed to accomplish in practical terms.

I hope where still using APCP & BP in years to come ! I wouldn't like lasers firing rockets into the sky & using electronics (on LPR stuff) to deploy 'chutes/streamers.

Ya carn't beat the smell of BP or APCP! :D
Karl

Looks very cool Sandman. Nice touch.
Looks like it would be just right to hold a small digital camera. ;)
Would that be too wierd?, an old style rocket with a digital camera in it?
Can't wait to see it finished.
I'm wanting one myself, but just have too many projects going on right now.

Hey, since it's 29mm, how do you all think it would do on one of those new Ellis Mtn. G20's ? :D

Tim

Originally posted by Fore Check
When Semroc releases an SLS Laser X, I'm in!

Now that's what I'm talking about! That would be nice. Or an SLS Hydra with 7 G motors ripping off the pad:)

Right thats it!!! Mark me down for a Hydra if it comes out !!!! That would be AWESOME!
Karl:D

Originally posted by rbeckey

I think they are down on my X-Mas list , along with 2 Hydra 7's if they come out :D

Got my SLS Skyhook yesterday. Very nice looking kit :). Looks like a Skyhook, but everything is bigger.... including the parachute.... Why does something this small and high flying need an 18" parachute? I am going to put a cute 12" nylon chute in it... and if I decide to be brave enough to put an E or F in it... I will swap it with a streamer.

I noticed the instructions recommended white or yellow glue. I am wondering if I should do that... or build it with epoxy? They woudl work I know... opinions please :D

Well I got told that you can build a Level1 rocket with white glue / wood glue / PVA ect. Even from the stress of a Pro38 2 Grain. Aslong as you realy rough up the area your going to glue.
Karl

I was wondering about the motor/chute combination. You'd chase that sucker for miles on larger motors! A 12 inch chute or 6 inch spill hole are in order.

Well, she's finished!

The decals are....well, it take 4 hands your knees and an elbow to get them lined up right but the decals are nice and heavy. They can take a lot of abuse.

As a matter of fact EVERYHING on this kit is HEAVY DUTY!

The tube is really thick! It should take a lot of abuse.

Now I guess you could use this for an L1 rocket but with an H128 in it you have maybe 2.5" left for your recovery.

It's not THAT big! OK...it's too short for an L1 rocket but it would be cool!

I'll bet a G80 would take an insect for a thrilling ride!

I left the nose cone loose in the pic 'cause the paint is still a little "tacky". I was afraid it would glue itself to the plastic payload section.

I guess it's my camera but no...the paint on the fins (Dutch Blue) does not really match as close as the picture shows.

Wish it did!

Sweet looking rocket sand! I just built one also, but have yet to start finishing due to a sore back and lots of wind.

great job Sandman, it has that vintage look!

whats the tiny dowel rod in the payload?

Well, it's been over a year since I finished it!:eek:

I did get to fly it at NARAM.

Unfortunately for the rocket...AND the grasshopper in the payload bay...the recovery was LESS than stellar.

Poor Mr. Grasshopper!

This is the Aftermath pic...for the insurance company...

This happened in front of Vern and Gleda Estes as well as Carl McLawthorn of SEMROC.

They had to sign it for the NTSB accident report.

How embarrasing!

:eek:

Just to prove nothing in particular, it flew flawlessly later that day on a D12-7.

It sorta has a "Ram Jet" look to the nosecone, doesn't it?

No the grasshopper did NOT survive!

Originally posted by sandman
....This happened in front of Vern and Gleda Estes as well as Carl McLawhorn of SEMROC.

They had to sign it for the NTSB accident report.
No the grasshopper did NOT survive!
It HAD to be pilot error due to inexperience, but since the pilot perished (turned into green mush) and could not be debriefed, we will never know. The black boxes were also not recovered.

Back