Slow Motion Rocket Videos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce

Reaction score
I remember the iconic slow motion videos of the Saturn V taking off on its moon missions.

Does anyone have any super-slow motion videos of their rockets taking off?

Those were nice launches, even though the rockets all seemed to be quite similar. I liked the music and the sparky motors and black smoke. And the mach diamonds on that last one were cool. But did we ever get to see SkyPilot fly?

Are there any super-slow-mo videos with a more zoomed in view of the nozzle as the rocket takes off?

It would be great if the camera could track the nozzle as the rocket left the pad!

Here one of the Apollo 11 Saturn V with a more zoomed in view of the nozzle. Too bad it doesn't track up as the rocket leaves the pad...

Saturn V.jpg

Nice! Especially liked the tracking up as the rocket leaves the pad!

I think not as slow motion as you're looking for, but I took a few video clips at 120 fps at the last Red Glare:

Edit: I thought the long, epic piano with nothing but smoke was sort of funny, I have an odd sense of humor, skip forward if its too long.

I think not as slow motion as you're looking for, but I took a few video clips at 120 fps at the last Red Glare:

Edit: I thought the long, epic piano with nothing but smoke was sort of funny, I have an odd sense of humor, skip forward if its too long.

Yeah, that first one made the point that too much slow motion is sometimes NOT a good thing, lol!

the super duece at 4 minutes was stunning, though, the hang time at apogee was amazing, even at slow mo!

Yeah, that first one made the point that too much slow motion is sometimes NOT a good thing, lol!

Yes, that bit definitely drags on!

the super duece at 4 minutes was stunning, though, the hang time at apogee was amazing, even at slow mo!

I'm a bit disappointed that I lost focus there, but that entire rocket launch was really quite spectacular. A "had to have been there" moment.

I liked it! Well done! What camera do you use?

What was the rocket at 7:26 in the video? It looked like it took off backwards!

I liked it! Well done! What camera do you use?

What was the rocket at 7:26 in the video? It looked like it took off backwards!

Thank you, I used an Olympus OM-D E-M10 ii camera with the 40-150 mm lens. It makes a nice light and compact setup which is easy to carry around.

That rocket was referred to as an "upside down rocket" by the announcer, it had tractor motors on the top, but looks like it didn't have quite enough stability!

And without the music or sound effects..

Sorry, I am very busy right now getting my project (and camera set up) ready for NSL. However, without sound effects or music leaves nothing or a high pitch squeel that is very annoying. When slowing down the video, the audio also gets adjusted and the only choices are those three, nothing, music, or annoying squeel.

Sorry, I am very busy right now getting my project (and camera set up) ready for NSL. However, without sound effects or music leaves nothing or a high pitch squeel that is very annoying. When slowing down the video, the audio also gets adjusted and the only choices are those three, nothing, music, or annoying squeel.
Sorry, I forgot about the forth option, add sound effects. Something that you think it should sound like.

Not rockets flying, but some old slow-mo or rocket stuff before the mega slow stuff started being published. Apparently, nobody on YouTube was interested back then and it might still be uninteresting, but here are mine (no clue why there are ads. . . )

Sandy.

PS: I haven't looked at my YouTube channel in years until now. I actually built some rockets that did pretty good at balanced (i.e. little spin) on the ascent back then. The one guy who pointed it out made me look again and watch my other videos and they were generally decent as far as spin goes.

I will thank my 100 viewers (over the past 11 years) and note that I think my one thumbs up balances my one thumbs down. I'd like to thank all (one) of my subscrbiers ('Hi, Mom!') and if you want to see the next video I publish, please like and subscribe. I'm not likely to publish a video any time soon (if ever) but make sure to click that notification bell and grab my merch. Oh wait, I don't have merch. . .

Wow how Youtube has changed over the years. . .

Last edited:

I quite like the music, it sure beats slow motion audio.

thanks for replying.

Back