SLK 57 CROW

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonRocketry

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Well time to build this kit that I got from Fuddrucker. But since this kit is messed up as it came as a four fin instead of 3 fins so I will add one of my modular electronics bays making it dual deployment and 8" to the overall length. I will make custom decals for this along with a different paint layout. Got the motor mount built and installed so far.

IMG_1407.jpg
IMG_1408.jpg
IMG_1409.jpg
IMG_1310.jpg

Last edited:
I like the 4 fin setup. I didn’t realize the 4” had 4 fins. I have the 2.6 and it’s a 3 fin model.

I had to look at both of mine, but they are both 3 fin. They are both Madcow Fiberglass.

The 4" fiberglass Pike model is a tank, and heavy. It should fly M's, but that won't work with our waiver. Big motors will have to wait, and it won't be my level 3. It's first ride will probably be a K400.
Decals.JPG

Last edited:
I must of got a screwed up kit since it has 4 fins. The instructions that came with it show as a 3 fin kit. I like the 4 fin layout.

I must of got a screwed up kit since it has 4 fins. The instructions that came with it show as a 3 fin kit. I like the 4 fin layout.

Don't sweat it. I prefer 4 fin rockets anyway. I'm not so much a low and slow fan, as I am a punchy motor fan. Draggy rockets tend to handle punchy motors and stay in sight. Also, more fins stiffen the can.

If you do any open rocket/Rocksims be sure you have the right fin count in the sim.

With all that weight at the back, though, you may want to be sure you have enough nose weight.

Last edited:
With the extra fin this rocket is marginal stable, so I decided to use one of my 12" modular electronics bays over the 8" and also replaced the upper tube with a 23" long over the 19". This added 8" to the total length and now has the margin closer to where I like it without adding nose weight. Plus I think the extra length makes it look better.

IMG_1431.jpg

Got everything painted finally after an issue with primer not wanting to dry, gotta love rust oleum paint :mad: I will let the paint cure for a couple days then I will apply decals. Hope to launch this on July 11th.

IMG_1446.jpg

Thanks to IR heater paint cured nicely, so I got all the decals installed. I will get pictures tomorrow of it all together.

IMG_1448.jpg

I really like the paint colors. What brand/colors are they? I can see the cans in the background but can’t make them out. Rocket looks great. I might have to do a 4 split fin rocket myself…

I really like the paint colors. What brand/colors are they? I can see the cans in the background but can’t make them out. Rocket looks great. I might have to do a 4 split fin rocket myself…
Thanks. VHT paints. These are all engine paints. I used gloss black as a base then sprayed Copper metallic and the tip of the nose cone and e-bay is gold metallic. I also used there gloss clear coat on the entire rocket.

Latest posts

Back