3D Printing slicer software preference (vote!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slicer software preference (vote!)

• Simplify3D

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Cura

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • 3DPrinterOS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OctoPrint

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slic3r

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other? (Please comment)

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
What slicer software do you use?

Do you like it? Don't like it?
What do you like / don't like about it?

We're about to get Simplify3D for eh department. It came bundled with our Printer (Fusion3 306). But we have been warned about version 4.1.X not playing nicely with our printer..

Simplify3D.

Bought it because the reviews were good at the time, and have not looked back. It is crazy advanced and allows you to change just about every parameter of the print at any print level.

The slicing / preview are quick as well.

I’m a Cura user, and have always got on well with it. For me I can’t justify the cost of simplify 3D, both cura and slic3r are very close to it in features now with the only real difference being easily customisable supports which would be nice but I am yet to find something I can’t print without that.

Generally I find a slicer is only as good as your profile settings anyway, so changing slicer can be more detrimental to you print quality initially than any new features are worth.

Cura has been perfect for me, no issues whatsoever software-wise. It takes a bit to refine your settings but once you do, it's great. I haven't changed my settings in years.

I've been using the new PrusaSlicer, which is based on Slic3r. It makes it a lot easier to add custom parts that can be used modify all kinds of settings. Also the default configurations have been very good starting points for my prints. It also now has Simple, Advanced, and Expert buttons that allow the user to control how many settings are available.

I did try a couple of other slicers but in the end I always have gone back to the Prusa edition of Slic3r. But so far most of my prints have been reasonably simple.

Tony

advanced-features.jpg

Back