3D Printing SLA Goblin up next......

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curlrup

Reaction score
Still testing my Doorknob but I drew up a Goblin nose cone, and I have a new LCD screen in one of my SLA machines so Ineed to test it. The Goblin will be a hybrid cardboard tube, and 3D printed. Setting things up now. The nosecone is taller than my & axis so I had to chop it up and make a coupler ring inside one half. They will slip together and get glued.

1593827448412.png

Nose cone done. Fits perfect on a BT60 tube. Fin cutting template is running now. IMG_20200705_202512514.jpgIMG_20200705_202619606.jpgIMG_20200705_202619606.jpg

That was quick. So body is cardboard, and fins are balsa, correct? Only the nose cone is 3-D printed?
Correct. Hybrid build. Got the weight down. I'm finding SLA to be heavy.

My experience with the PLA 3-D rockets from Boyce Aerospace was that they fly well on the Q-Jet composite motors, which have a lot more kick off the pad than similar black powder motors. Haven't flown any SLA models yet. How do they compare weight-wise with PLA models of the same size?

No clue. Never felt with a PLA rocket. I would assume similar.

You do a really great job with finishing. How are you printing the decals?

Now, I want a 3-D printed Goblin too. You really should start a business! Let us know how it flies.

You do a really great job with finishing. How are you printing the decals?

Now, I want a 3-D printed Goblin too. You really should start a business! Let us know how it flies.
The decals I found at erockets. They are for a Semroc kit. $1.90

Can you share your .stl with me? I'd like to print it on my printer as one complete nosecone. (My z is ~340mm, though my x/y is only ~70/~125.)
Here is the 4" Goblin that I used for Lvl 1 cert.
RTF_2020_Goblin.jpg
Done up as a nod to the old Macross animation. Skull squadron. :)

Can you share your .stl with me? I'd like to print it on my printer as one complete nosecone. (My z is ~340mm, though my x/y is only ~70/~125.)
View attachment 424386
Sure thing. I need to save it off as one piece. I can save it off tomorrow.

View attachment 424386
Ok I think this works....just attaching the file to a reply.....Here is the STL. I draw it up straight from an Estes photo in Solidworks so it should be really close. It is sized for a BT60 tube now. So you would have to scale it up in your slicer.

Attachments

• Goblinnose.STL
    840.4 KB · Views: 9
Ok I think this works....just attaching the file to a reply.....Here is the STL. I draw it up straight from an Estes photo in Solidworks so it should be really close. It is sized for a BT60 tube now. So you would have to scale it up in your slicer.
In fact here is it split to fit on an Elegoo Mars like I did and the fin cutting template. For anyone who wants to make one from a BT60 tube. This thing hit about 400 feet on a B4 Estes motor.

Attachments

• goblinfin.STL
    684 bytes · Views: 7
  • Goblinnose1.STL
    937.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Goblinnose2.STL
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 2
At that size I might be able to print the fin can. I will poke at it as I have time.
The fin file is just a cutting template to use with an xacto on balsa. 3d print it and cut around it. Although I could draw up a fin can quick tomorrow.

Curlup, if you decide to tackle the fin can, I'd love to have one or two of these printed up. I've built some 3-D models where only the airframe was cardboard. It's a great way to get a very accurate looking rocket quickly. Perfect if you want to experiment with paint schemes, etc.

I'll see what I can do. I need to add some features to the doorknob and release those too.

Back