Quantcast

3D Printing SLA Goblin up next......

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Curlrup

Reaction score
Still testing my Doorknob but I drew up a Goblin nose cone, and I have a new LCD screen in one of my SLA machines so Ineed to test it. The Goblin will be a hybrid cardboard tube, and 3D printed. Setting things up now. The nosecone is taller than my & axis so I had to chop it up and make a coupler ring inside one half. They will slip together and get glued.

1593827448412.png

Curlrup

Reaction score
Nose cone done. Fits perfect on a BT60 tube. Fin cutting template is running now.
IMG_20200705_202512514.jpg
IMG_20200705_202619606.jpg
IMG_20200705_202619606.jpg

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That was quick. So body is cardboard, and fins are balsa, correct? Only the nose cone is 3-D printed?

Curlrup

Reaction score
That was quick. So body is cardboard, and fins are balsa, correct? Only the nose cone is 3-D printed?
Correct. Hybrid build. Got the weight down. I'm finding SLA to be heavy.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My experience with the PLA 3-D rockets from Boyce Aerospace was that they fly well on the Q-Jet composite motors, which have a lot more kick off the pad than similar black powder motors. Haven't flown any SLA models yet. How do they compare weight-wise with PLA models of the same size?

Curlrup

Reaction score
No clue. Never felt with a PLA rocket. I would assume similar.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If you'd like to print a 1/24th scale Honest John, I'll be happy to weight them both. :)

Curlrup

Reaction score
I need to compare files I have to pla.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You do a really great job with finishing. How are you printing the decals?

Now, I want a 3-D printed Goblin too. You really should start a business! Let us know how it flies.

Curlrup

Reaction score
You do a really great job with finishing. How are you printing the decals?

Now, I want a 3-D printed Goblin too. You really should start a business! Let us know how it flies.
The decals I found at erockets. They are for a Semroc kit. $1.90

Mike_Andrews

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Can you share your .stl with me? I'd like to print it on my printer as one complete nosecone. (My z is ~340mm, though my x/y is only ~70/~125.)
Here is the 4" Goblin that I used for Lvl 1 cert.
RTF_2020_Goblin.jpg

Done up as a nod to the old Macross animation. Skull squadron. :)

Curlrup

Reaction score
Can you share your .stl with me? I'd like to print it on my printer as one complete nosecone. (My z is ~340mm, though my x/y is only ~70/~125.)
View attachment 424386
Sure thing. I need to save it off as one piece. I can save it off tomorrow.

Curlrup

Reaction score
View attachment 424386
Ok I think this works....just attaching the file to a reply.....Here is the STL. I draw it up straight from an Estes photo in Solidworks so it should be really close. It is sized for a BT60 tube now. So you would have to scale it up in your slicer.

Attachments

Curlrup

Reaction score
Ok I think this works....just attaching the file to a reply.....Here is the STL. I draw it up straight from an Estes photo in Solidworks so it should be really close. It is sized for a BT60 tube now. So you would have to scale it up in your slicer.
In fact here is it split to fit on an Elegoo Mars like I did and the fin cutting template. For anyone who wants to make one from a BT60 tube. This thing hit about 400 feet on a B4 Estes motor.

Attachments

Curlrup

Reaction score
View attachment 424386
Also love the nod to Macross.

Mike_Andrews

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta rock the old school.
I will make a few of them, possibly in a couple of resins. PM me if you want one. Product development is a great job for access to printing. :)

Curlrup

Reaction score
At that size I might be able to print the fin can. I will poke at it as I have time.
The fin file is just a cutting template to use with an xacto on balsa. 3d print it and cut around it. Although I could draw up a fin can quick tomorrow.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Curlup, if you decide to tackle the fin can, I'd love to have one or two of these printed up. I've built some 3-D models where only the airframe was cardboard. It's a great way to get a very accurate looking rocket quickly. Perfect if you want to experiment with paint schemes, etc.

Curlrup

Reaction score
I'll see what I can do. I need to add some features to the doorknob and release those too.