Skyangle parachutes vs. Top Flight parachutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccolvin968

Reaction score
Is it really a no brainer?
Should I spend the extra cash on a Sky Angle drogue and main or is it okay to spend a little less on Top Flight chutes?
What are the basic opinions?
I don't want to scrimp on a few bucks if it will make my rocket more likely to have an accident.
Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated!

Both are excellent quality chutes, as long as you keep the recovery profile within the
normal range they both get the job done. I have both brands in my recovery gear and have had no issues with either.

Last edited:
They're not exactly the same type of chutes. Skyangle is designed differently and uses only 3 shroud lines, where Top Flight are flat sheet styled with many more shroud lines. Really can't do side by side comparison because they are different.
Get the best of both worlds - Recon from Wildman. I've been told they are like Sky Angle but with 4 lines and they are made by Top Flight.

I second that emotion.. especially for a drogue.

Recon drogue has held up for me over the years.. it is my most used chute

Kenny

I second that emotion.. especially for a drogue.

Recon drogue has held up for me over the years.. it is my most used chute

Kenny

Agreed, Skyangle or Recon if you are going to use a drogue.

Agreed that both are good mains also, but depending on your airframe space and how good your folding technique, you'll find that a Topflight packs into a much smaller area.

Any other thoughts on SkyAngle? I have also been considering them for a main chute for a 6-7 lb rocket. Does their shroud line lock work as advertised for adjusting descent rate? They also talk about the design intentionally imparting spin for stability and increased drag. Does this work well? Disadvantages? No experience with Recon, but will also look at them.

My bad Gary. I don't know where I got that. I probably got confused from other conversatioins I had with Tim. My apologies.

I've never flown either. So far all of my rockets have TopFlight, except one - and it has a Sphereachute.

Again, I apologize for the misinformation.

Mikey D

Back