Sky Ripper Certification

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan S.

Reaction score
I just checked the Sky Ripper Website (www.skyrippersystems.com) and guess what? Sky Ripper has just certed 2 hybrid motors the 38/400 I146 (62%I) and the 38/580 J144 (9%J). The videos of these motors looks awesome. I need to save up to buy at least the I casing. Sky Ripper has a great website, and Todd is a great guy.

By the way, I hear rumors that there are a few more motors that may be certed soon

Congrats Todd!!

yep, I wasnt gonna let out all the secrets ;-)

I agree, U/C hybrids are much better than hypertek, and Todd unlike RATT, has different fuels (I beleive RATT only has one) and that is awesome.

I like the Big Daddy flight on the webpage, I am modding a minnie magg right now ;)

New motors just certified and numbers are in!!!!

38/220 Hardware;
PVC H124 272Ns
PP H155 340Ns

38/400 Hardware;
PVC I119 416Ns
PP I146 519Ns

38/580 Hardware;
PVC I117 560Ns
PP J144 700Ns

these are the numbers for all the SRS motors that have been certified. i cant wait to see some fly at LDRS

...I'm slow...so my wife tells me as well as my boss...

This simple thread has started me thinking.

1st of all, it has re-sparked my interest in mono-tube hybids / ala floating injectors...particularly Sky Ripper hybrids.

2nd of all, with a little investigation based on this thread, I found the hybridrocketmotors forum, thanks daveyfire...

3rd, I found that one of my favorite links did not go away, it had merely changed names, flyhybrids.org is now flyhybrids.net :rolleyes: ya see, I am slow.

I have flown the 29mm RATT I80 to some limited success, and I put away the hybrids 2 years ago. If you go to starrocketry.com you will see that I have flown a few of the HyperTEK's as well. The last Hybird I flew (I80) took acception to the RRC2 unit, and put on an aerial ballet, and that sealed my hybrid adventures...

But now, Sky Ripper Systems has certified some really nice looking stuff, and they have some even nicer stuff coming down the line.Looks like I will have to start saving my money too...I may even have to invest in the GSE from PRATT Hobbies this time around...

I still keep up with West Hybrids out of Canada as well. They have some 76mm K's L's and a mean M in the works, all of them floating injector hybrid designs.

Thanks Ryan and Daveyfire

a G Hybrid!! wow their getting close to the microhybrid :D

Will the G hybrid require L1 or L2? I will probably be getting a rocket that can accept hybrids soon, so i want to know.

B_N 150

I believe you can Cert L1 now with Hybrids (RATT H70) so a minimum age requirement would be 18 and at least L1...

Here is Ryan's LOC Mini-mag on a Sky Ripper Systems I-147 from Sunday.... It was the last high-power flight of commercial LDR$...

Congrats, Ryan... GREAT FLIGHT!!

Ryans_minimag_SRSI147.jpg

Thanks to Wes Rudy for the awesome pic!.

Great pic...

Todd, looks like a winner of a product you have there. Thanks for the little update from LDRS, and Ryans flight. I'm sure he will fill us all in when he returns.

hey guys, yeah I am back, and Wes did get a great pic, man he took some really good pictures that weekend.

Anyway, I wont give my whole report here but, on Sunday after flying nothing and just helping some peopel with their flights, Todd came up to me and asked me if I wanted to fly the Minnie Magg I had made to fly on the skyripper motors. I went and prepped while he prepped the motor and after some difficulties filling (the motor ran halfway up that nosecone and venting was difficult to say the least) the rocket lept of the pad.

I was suprised at the flame size of the motor, I had flown the RATT motor and the flame looked like one from a match, kinda like a pro38 flame except somewhat smaller. The Noise was awesome too, like a loud scream that was very impressive.

The motors were much nicer than RATT, and in my opinion Hypertek too.

I was glad to fly one.

very nice motors, I cant wait to see some of the new things that emerge ;)

So would most of you take floating-injector hybrids over the HyperTek or AT systems? They look to be a lot cheaper.
If I were to spend that kind of money, I'd probably just get Aerotech's when they go back into production. At least the casings can also be used for AP motors if I'm not mistaken.

i would take U/C over Hypertek anyday. Hyperteks have a pretty good design, its just so complicated and doesnt seem to work often.

I saw a AT hybrid fly this weekend pretty cool, but I wouldnt hold my breathe on those coming back into production, I heard they stopped making them because of lack of interest, and they were pricey.

Definately U/C. I fly a RATT K240 and RATT I80, and it's very simple.

Hypertek looks like wayyyy too much hassle.

The disadvantage to most hybrids is adaptability to existing rockets. With the U/C hybrids, light weight rockets with long boosters that can take those long motors. With HyperTEK's, nothing less than a 54mm mount, and when you get to the M's, they too require long boosters.

...but the U/C's have a cool factor that makes them a cross between a solid and a liquid, in a reload case.

Ryan, that flame sticking out the bottom of the Minnie Mag is awesome, I'll bet it was an sweet flight.

With any Hybrid I have flown, I have had to build a rocket to suit. For the RATT I80, I built an all FWFG bird, that was pushing the weight limit that the motor could handle at 4.5 - 5 pounds dressed to kill. The 1st 2 flights were twins as they were within 5 feet of each other at 1,560 and 1565 respectfully. The last 2 flights were less than impressive, as the RRC2 I was using blew the laundry both times as soon as the alt armed itself. An aerial ballet insued as the motor tried to keep thrusting while the parachutes were deployed.

I'm ready though to go hybrid again, and Sky Ripper Systems is the way.From what I can tell Sky Ripper has a very nice product. I have seen an ad in the covers of Extreme Rocketry that PML has a line of rockets designed around these motors...very cool :cool:

i know what you mean When i flew the I70 I needed to design a rocket around it. The thing about these hybrids is they are 38, so they fit in most rockets, they have a decent average thrust (can take your G, H, and lighter I rockets), and venting isnt too hard, just drill a hole the right distance up and then stick the vent tube through and into the hole in the motor. UNlike Hyperteck where you need to run funky hoses everywhere.

I could fly Skyrippers in about half my rocket fleet with a few mods. (basically a hole in the airframe)

This in the first flight of the new Sky Ripper G60 29mm hybrid.
From LDRS on Tuesday, rocket by Mark Palmer, Photo by Wes Rudy, Ground Support by Scott Miller, and the rocket might have been flown by Art Upton. This was a real TEAM effort ;) Thanks guys.

SRS_G_Motor.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input; hope I'm not getting too off-topic.
Currently planning my L2 for a Thor and 6-grain Pro38. After that, I'm already thinking ahead for L3 and the only way that's gonna be affordable is with a hybrid. I'd like to do something really extreme for that, maybe using PML's new carbon-fiber components. Are there any L3-class U/C hybrids? All I've seen are Hypertek and AT. At those prices I might as well use AP.

YEAH! What shocky said!

If this can be kept cheap...droool...

Jason

We flew one of Dave Griffith's M900 U/C hybrids at ROCStock in June. Awesome, awesome motor! It's very long, though, and 64mm diameter (I think its somewhere around 6-7 feet long). Only bad part about it -- it doesn't scream. It ROARS. Sounds like a real rocket from far away!

I can't wait to get my hands on one of those :)

Chilly, RATTworks has their 64mm M900 which is certified for use. the motor is 6 feet long so the rocket basically has to be designed around it. It is an AWESOME motor though. It roars all through its 10 second burn time. West Coast Hybrids has a 75mm U/C valve hybrid M they have been testing for a while. Not sure when that will be released.

Hey Ryan, that I you flew in the Mag, was that using the PVC or polypro grain?

Todd

A great Sky Ripper weekend. Thanks for the help getting Wes' Sky Ripper in the air whilst I was tied up a quarter of a mile away. We'll get ya the G60 flight as soon as things settle down a bit.

Chuck

PolyPro.

Chuck- it was great to see some of your awesome videos in the lounge I think I might need to buy the DVD this year

Todd,

Looks like the G will be a hot topic from now on, that is a great pic of that G in flight too.

Originally posted by Ryan S.
PolyPro.

Chuck- it was great to see some of your awesome videos in the lounge I think I might need to buy the DVD this year

Ryan

It's gonna take a lot of time......I'm talking with a couple bands for their music.....and I've got access to some video from the greatest people in rocketry besides my 12 hours. It should be a hoot. One piece of video will amaze everyone.......but that will have to wait. And next time introduce yourself, I was tired, but not too tired to talk at the lounge. BTW I'm 99% sure I've got your Minnie Magg hybrid in there somewhere.

Chuck

Originally posted by daveyfire
He just posted this video to the hybridrocketmotors group of his 29mm G that is in development:

The pricing page says it's a 29/76. Would it not be an F (<80)?

Originally posted by Todd Moore
29/76 is 29mm, 76cc's ;)

Thanks for looking!

Y'know...I was trying to make sense of the Sky Ripper numbering convention for their casings. The first number was easy--it's the motor diameter. I was stumped with the second number. Newtons or length in centimeters were both too low.

That's what I get for not being a hybrid guy....yet ;)

Back