Sky Ripper Certification

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Todd Moore
This in the first flight of the new Sky Ripper G60 29mm hybrid.
From LDRS on Tuesday, rocket by Mark Palmer, Photo by Wes Rudy, Ground Support by Scott Miller, and the rocket might have been flown by Art Upton. This was a real TEAM effort ;) Thanks guys.

SRS_G_Motor.jpg

It was a nice flight. Probably have to get one when its available. I think Scott said it was a full G?

Al
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Survivor

It was a nice flight. Probably have to get one when its available. I think Scott said it was a full G?

The motor hasn't been on a stand yet, but the best computer simulation I can run says about 111Ns. The production case will be .125" shorter, and I'm guessing it'll be about 100Ns.

Todd:

Are you in any discussions with the NAR/TRA about changing the NFPA codes to allow for G level Hybrids without any certification? At the G level of course it is a MOdel Rocket and NOT a HPR so cert doesn't seem to be needed or required except by outdated NFPA codes.......

The reasons I ask is the NFPA codes are only rewritten approx every 5 years or so and we are at least 3 yrs away from the scheduled re-write.

There is an alternative in the meantime.....The NFPA committee that is responsible for the writing of the NFPA codes that affect Model and HPR has the ability to issue what is called a TIA Tentative Interim Amendment, which allows for the modification of the base code until it can be changed permanently and formally at a later date.

And for you that are < 18, G motors whether Su, Reloadable or Hybrid would still be off limits to you except and unless you are using it under direct adult/parental supervision.

Are you in any discussions with the NAR/TRA about changing the NFPA codes to allow for G level Hybrids without any certification? At the G level of course it is a MOdel Rocket and NOT a HPR so cert doesn't seem to be needed or required except by outdated NFPA codes.......

Well, I'd like to. When RATT came out with the H70, the rules were changed to allow certification flights on a hybrid motor. With a G motors being considered for certification, you'd like to think that another rule change would be easy...

But, this might get tricky. One of the things about a hybrid is that is doesn't come with a method for recovery. So, you are relying on the modeler to be able to cope with some kind of electronic recovery, and include the making of pyrotechnic charges. Is this enough to push these motors into the realm of needing L1 certification to operate? I don't know. It's worth making an argument for the rule change and I’ll do just that, when the time is right.

Todd,

Now that we've gotten the motor naming convention out of the way, what is the total length of the 29/76 G casing?

Your last post certainly raises some excellent issues about recovery, however, I'm a big fan of spools, saucers, & other high drag designs that do not require any electronics or ejection charges for recovery.

I just want to know so I can (hopefully) plan on building a compatible rocket for this motor :D :cool:

Thanks!

Forgive my ingnorance...

But is the length with the oxidiser, or is there a longer tank to buy?

And what is the max recommended liftoff weight? Is it comparable to a G64?

Jason

But is the length with the oxidiser, or is there a longer tank to buy?

Jason,

There is no secondary tank to buy, the 11 7/8" is oxidizer and fuel grain wrapped up in one. The fuel grain takes up a portion of the motor, and the N2O is measured off in cc's in the other portion of the motor.

Estimated at 100 ns per Todd Moore, this is in the mid-G range. I have seen the video of a static fire for this motor, and all I can say is, it will move blocks. :D This will be a very nice product at $8 a flight not including nitrous...

And what is the max recommended liftoff weight? Is it comparable to a G64?

The rocket that flew at LDRS on EX day weighed in at 2.25lbs without Ox. It was a nice zippy flight, it would appear.
There is a video out there of that flight that I will post when I can.

There is no secondary tank to buy, the 11 7/8" is oxidizer and fuel grain wrapped up in one. The fuel grain takes up a portion of the motor, and the N2O is measured off in cc's in the other portion of the motor.

I'll try to get pictures of the hardware this weekend and post them to the webpage.

This will be a very nice product at $8 a flight not including nitrous...

Thanks for the kind words, Johnnie. It takes a whopping 1/8lb of N20 ;) I'd expect N20 fees to a dollar per flight if flying with a club.

I am very interested in these motors :). Hybrids are cool. I had a RATT Works H70... flown it twice... sold it. Had a Hypertek system. had it for 6 months... never used it. Sold it. Now I see this.. this is something I can use :). More Thrust, more smoke :). So cool :)

Did Ryan mention where he got his Minnie Magg? ;)

you didnt really fly it the first time. yeah I got the rocket from Doug, Ripped it apart, modified it heavily, then put it together and painted it ;)

Originally posted by Ryan S.
you didnt really fly it the first time.

I was not counting that time ;). The first flight the Mirage almost burned to the ground. Then at NSL 2003, Ryan and I flew one in the Mirage :). I flew it again at a CMASS launch. Interesting motor.

Me too nt3jm, except I had the I80. At the time I was trying to lift a 4.5 lb rocket. It was the lightest I had for that motor, and it was kind of a slug at trying to lift it.

Back