Skunk'd!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The test flight on a G74-6 went pretty well last weekend, with some caveats. I wanted a high thrust, short burn motor for two reasons, 1) to be sure it would boost straight before attempting any air starting. I didn't want asymmetric drag to steer the rocket at all. There are a lot of draggy bits on it. And 2) to try and get some data to better estimate the Cd for simulation purposes.

The motor eject at apogee was just about right on, perhaps a touch early, but not too bad. The parachute, however, remained somewhat inverted and tangled. It didn't fully deploy. At 400' I had the electronics set to deploy two additional parachutes, one out of each side pod. One came out and deployed cleanly, but there was no sign of the other. After the rocket touched down, I was staring at it from a distance and noticed a puff of smoke and something looked like it flipped up into the air. Curiously, when I got to the rocket, I saw that the third parachute had deployed, but while it was sitting on the ground. I have no idea how or why the electronics could have triggered that after touching down. The two ematches for the side pods were wired in parallel, perhaps that was a mistake. I will test again with the ematches in series.

One fin was broken from the fast descent, but that will be easily repaired.

I attempted to use the barometric altitude data to estimate the Cd after motor burnout, but it looks like I really need an accelerometer to get a better Cd estimate.

G74_vsqr_acc.png

If I do the calculation of Cd = (slope) * 2m / (rho * A) I get Cd = 0.685 which I think is far too low. In Rocksim, if I estimate the Cd by iteratively adjusting the Cd, I get a good altitude agreement using a Cd of 1.15. It may be that I'm not using the same area, I calculated the cross section area manually. If I use only the area of the main body (just the BT-80) tube, I get a number very close to 1.15. I would like to know what cross sectional area Rocksim is using. The boost looked quite straight, but probably not perfectly vertical. But really, I need better data. Accelerometer time....

P9070535.JPG

Perhaps I'll try air starting on the next flight.

Still likely the original name, although after this flight, might also consider "Rough Rider!"

Yes, that would fit the current appearance better, especially at this point with a pending fin repair. Originally, I planned on a more normal looking rocket, and wanted a central motor with white smoke, flanked by two darker, smokey motor trails. Like a skunk stripe. I think that will be feasible with White Lightning and 2x Cessaroni smokey sams.

Yes, that would fit the current appearance better, especially at this point with a pending fin repair. Originally, I planned on a more normal looking rocket, and wanted a central motor with white smoke, flanked by two darker, smokey motor trails. Like a skunk stripe. I think that will be feasible with White Lightning and 2x Cessaroni smokey sams.
Now THAT would be cool. Never thought about mixing different color motor smokes!

First attempt at airstarting was mostly a success. Too much horizontal velocity, though, but the rocket was recovered on 1 18" parachute.

P9150807.JPG P9150808.JPG

2019-09-14_F39+2xC11.png

Next time I'll launch vertically and use a punchier central motor, like an F67 or G74.

I'd like to say once again how amazing this rocket looks in person. Truly a well-weathered, beat up freighter, could be straight out of a movie.

The flight was very cool; I was curious though why the outboards were air-started so late. Seemed like the rocket had too much time to arc over even more during the coast between primary motor and the outboards.

Thanks.

Based on the sims I had run, it would have had the same max (EDIT) velocity after the air start as it had reached with only the central F39 (totally arbitrary criteria). That is assuming it was going mostly vertically up. I had no real basis for choosing this, other than it seemed to look ok in the simulation. Clearly, it started with too much angle, and only got more horizontal as the flight went on.

I had set a burn time of 1300 ms, and a 700 ms delay, so the airstart should have been at about 2 seconds after launch detect (which it was). I wanted enough delay for a bit of suspense and to be clearly a separate motor burn, without being too long and letting the rocket get too slow. I think next time I'll try a vertical launch angle, and a higher thrust motor (such as an F67 or G74). The delay will be something to play around with to get a good effect.

Last edited:
It seems that I really didn't need to go to extra effort to make this rocket look worn and beat up. Just flying it is doing plenty for that! I glued the side body tube back together with an internal coupler, added a layer of light fiberglass on the outside, fixed the zippers, and removed the Eggtimer Classic. It looks like the rocket also got some damage from the Aerotech ejection cap poking a hole in an internal bulkhead. I can see where some ejection charge shot into the AV bay.

P9251015.JPG

P9251016.JPG

P9251017.JPG

I love the Eggtimer Classic flight computer, but the Proton will give me an accelerometer and more deployment channels. This will allow for deploying something at apogee, in addition to an airstart and mains at a lower altitude. Fortunately it fits without too much surgery. All that is left is cleaning up the wiring and bundling it up.

And Photshopping the repair pictures onto some sort of shipyard background (with fingers removed so there's no scale).
The second picture especially really needs to have some little guys in space suits welding around that hole and moving equipment in and out of it. Who's got the artistic chops to do it?

I'm serious.

The second picture especially really needs to have some little guys in space suits welding around that hole and moving equipment in and out of it. Who's got the artistic chops to do it?

I'm serious.

I'd like to see that! Welding goggles, acetylene torches, grinders...

Absolutely both! I don't have the chops, old database development then network and desktop support guy here. But I would love to see what some of the artists here could do with this. :)

Back