Skunk Works Kits??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregzo

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with PoleCat Aerospace aka SkunkWorks Rocketry Kits??
I'm on the planning stages for a winter project and some thoughts were for a 7.5" Thumper modified with three additional 29mm Motor Mounts plus the standard 54mm. Also, I wanted to add dual deploy.
How are the materials? Tubing? Nosecones? How's the finish on their glass work? They say they supply 1/4" centering rings and bulkheads - this seems thin for a 7.5" rocket??
Any thoughts or input appreciated.
I see no reviews @ EMMR at all for any of their kits.
Thanks

Gregzo, we put a review for the Skeeter on EMRR.

we built the Skeeter and I am building the Saturn V right now.

component quality is generally pretty good. the machining of airframe slots, rings & fins etc. is spot-on. as always some of these things could be improved in minor ways. for example, the nose cone bulkhead could be beveled to fit the cone, that way less filler would be used. if you want furniture quality rockets, though, you can do it.

the glassing on the tubes is nearly perfect, better than I could do myself.

one person mentioned he thought the glassine of the tube could be peeled and then the glass would adhere better, but I think that would just add weight - those cardboard tubes are really thirsty and they really soak up the epoxy! Andy does a great job of putting 50/50 fabric/resin and rolling the fabric straight on the tube.

dimensionally though, the fiberglass components are somewhat variable. this isn't much of a problem for a Skeeter nosecone (as long as the shoulder diameter is good), but is a minor issue for things like the Saturn V 1st stage motor fairings... easily solved with epoxy & microballons.

we're looking at getting a Nike kit next. 10" for L3? hmmmm!!!!

Thumper is a big rocket ... really big. it flies great on Ks. you could cluster it but I don't think it has an electronics bay so airstarting might be a little work. don't worry, 1/4" is plenty strong even in that size.

gregzo,

Can you upgrade the kit with 76mm mount with 38mm outboards? You can adapt down, but not up.

The Thumper looks like a kick'n rocket.

I personally am waiting to see if they will release the Nike Hercules... :cool:

I built the Skunk Works (Polecat) Spike.

Here is my review

Here are the other Skunk Works reviews

Enjoy.
Nick

I am building right now a Skunk Works 5.5" nike smoke with one 54mm and 4 29mmts , Andy will cut the rings for free(well he did on mine) but the extra tubes will cost more. the quailty is very good, but i dont like the fact the glass can be pulled of eazyly and that he uses cardboard tubes(i just dont like them) but apart from that the kits are great and well worth the money!

matt

Originally posted by cls

we're looking at getting a Nike kit next. 10" for L3? hmmmm!!!!

I saw your Saturn V kit at RockStock and was very impressed! I think Polecat/Skunk Works make some of the better kits out there. I am in love with that 10" Nike Smoke! I have seen
Andy launch it twice now and each time have been impressive, especially the near catastrophic launch at RockStock!

-Chris

Gregzo-

I have build the Polecat 4" V2 and was very pleased with the quality of their components. The fiberglass on the tubes required almost no filling and the nose and tail cones were flawless. The 1/4" baltic birch ply is excellent quality on the V2 kit, but is MUCH smaller than the Thumper. I have seen a few Thumpers fly, and they were all impressive. Andy puts out a quality product, and you get what you pay for.

Thanks Todd and all other who posted a reply.

I am presenting building a PML Eclipse. I may start with the 5.5" Thumper as opposed to jumping right into the 6".

I have the 10" Saturn V and my daughter has the 7.5" Thumper both are great kits and well worth the money.

Their kits are very proffesional. The ONLY thing i wasnt jumping through hoops about was the seam on the fiberglass work. With a little bit of time and a hand sander its ok, but otherwise the kits are great:D :D

Back