Skill Level 1 versus Skill Level 2?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Custom Rocket Company "Aztec" rocket I am working on is labeled as "Skill Level 2" by Custom Rocket Company.

Hmm. Not sure I would call it a Skill Level 2. I would call it a "Skill Level 1 1/2". Yes, you have to measure carefully to make sure the motor mount in the sustainer and the motor mount in the booster are positioned correctly, but, other than that, it is just a 3FNC rocket x 2.

I suppose there is no official rule for classifying a model rocket as Skill Level 1, Skill Level 2, Skill Level 3, et cetera, but I would not want to scare off kids and beginners from trying a fun, simple, two-stage rocket like the Aztec by calling it a skill level higher than it really is.

The Aztec is a fairly straight forward "second" or "third" rocket. "Call it Skill Level 1+". Sure, you could goof up the construction a bit, as you can goof up anything, but, if you follow the instructions reasonably carefully, even if you goof it up a bit, it is likely to still fly OK.

I think all of the "beginner" rockets should be designed to be over-stable. Even if the builder messes up the construction somewhat, the fins should be a little oversized, and the length a little long, to ensure that the rocket still flies safely. Yes, it will weathercock some, but that is better than flying loopty-loops as soon as the rocket leaves the launch pad.

IMG-5770_cropped.jpg

Back