Site Issues 12/28/2012

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only abused children who know how to ruin good things do this sort of thing.
Sad but true.

My brother said a heli forum he visits was downed by a Denial of Service attack. Not sure what the motive could be there.

Glad it's fixed. I use IE and never click the ads. Hope I'm fine.

Glad it's fixed. I use IE and never click the ads. Hope I'm fine.

As a precaution, if you visited yesterday or early today, before we fixed it, please download and run Malwarebytes and Spybot Search & Destroy. The malware attempted to load whether you clicked on the ad, or not.

-Kevin

Yeah it's just the warmup....

China's dedicating an entire force to hacking in cyberspace... and they are VERY good at it.

I was reading the article today.

Picture 4.png

Firefox is still complaining about TRF being an attack site.

I'm using Chrome ATM and it's happy to walk right in the front door. :)

Just got another Chrome stopper page.
They say that;
user.xmission has inserted something into the pages on Rocketry forum.
While I was browsing the gallery section.

JD

I did a scan with Malwarebytes, found nothing on my computer, so I wasn't worried.

Scanned also. No malware detected. I own a mac and was not worried, but thought it was prudent to check anyway.

Sad that we live in a world where people make it their lifes ambition to ruin good things that other people do. Then again, I guess it has always been that way (toilet papering houses on Halloween for example), but somehow this is different, maybe because it isn't affecting just 'that mean old guy down the street'.
'Course TPing Mean old Mr Smith's house wasn't a lifes ambition either....

Most of what's out there is not simply malicious for the sake of someone getting a laugh, it's a way to make money. "Malware" nowadays is mostly there to gather information in order to conduct identity theft or as a ruse to lock up your computer to the point where you are fooled into entering your credit card number. People fall for it every day, and it's a great way for criminals in foreign countries to make a living. Oceans no longer separate us.

Just got another Chrome stopper page.
They say that;
user.xmission has inserted something into the pages on Rocketry forum.
While I was browsing the gallery section.

Can you tell me what part? I'd like to investigate further, just to be safe. We have no indication that the forum itself was compromised, just the ad software, but I want to check.

-Kevin

My newest laptop running the newest version of Firefox wouldn't let me in this morning. I had to override it to get in, same as yesterday morning. Now, my 3 yr old desktop running the same version of Firefox, and the same Kaspersky security wasn't even blinking. Opened TRF right up. Same as it did yesterday.
Go figure.............

Adrian (posting from the new laptop with fingers crossed)

Last edited:
My newest laptop running the newest version of Firefox wouldn't let me in this morning. I had to override it to get in, same as yesterday morning. Now, my 3 yr old desktop running the same version of Firefox, and the same Kaspersky security wasn't even blinking. Opened TRF right up. Same as it did yesterday.
Go figure.............

Yeah, Firefox appears to be sporadically getting warnings for some reason, but reading their documentation, they claim to be using Google's data, and Google says things are fine.

-Kevin

I might? have been hit. During this time frame my win7 pc had been on for 3 days while in & out of hibernation & ie9 running, tabs included w/ROL. At one point I caught DOS like screens flashing on/off. Win 7 home ed. don't have DOS! To my horror at one point it stayed up long enough to see this text...
Files copied
Files copied
I shut down, rebooted and ran norton. I also ran malewarebytes which updated to a new logo, both found nothing. It might have been some automated HP thing, which I do allow, or ?.... Then I find these threads, hence this post.

Oldschool- it's a little bit freaky to see that kind of screen. It's not really DOS but it's the command prompt screen (like, if you got to start menu, Run..., CMD<enter>). Most likely it was from some software updating itself, harmless, presuming malwarebytes and Norton didn't find anything.

Ya a little scary for this PC illiterate at the time, then find these theads! Still running scans everytime I've booted up or brought out of hibernation just to be sure, for awhile longer.

I had been continuing to receive the Firefox attack site warning until about 5 minutes ago when I resorted to the ultimate trouble shooting method: REBOOT!!

Now all is well thus far.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. The attack site warning is back.

My daughter's boyfriend use to work for GE doing internet security.

He was just hire by an old college buddy at his buddy's new company.

The new company he works for doesn't exactly do internet security...they have a completely different strategy.

They are "Hunter Killers!

They go after these guys and yes, indeed, most of them are from China!:mad:

Okay, looks like there's a known bug in Firefox where it sometimes uses outdated Malware data.

So, those of you seeing spurious reports in Firefox, it's a bug in Firefox. Reading through their fix for the issue, it looks that this will be fixed in the next Firefox release.

-Kevin

I had the red warning screen on Firefox all day yesterday. This morning I came back and things are back to normal.

I didn't try to go past the warning screen, figuring the problem would eventually be resolved, as it seems to have been.

From what i read in the FF bug report linked to by Troj, there will be no patch issued to correct this bug in FF v17 because v18 will be released in less than a week.

In the meantime, Google Chrome works just fine. Even Mozilla admits that.

Back