Sirius Saturn V Mini Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugway

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to grab one of these off the forum so I thought I would post a few pictures of my build.

After looking at all the other build threads on this kit, I've decided to stick very close to stock. I plan on substituting Blue Tube (already had on hand) for the 3.9" airframe and coupler and the 54mm airframe, and adding four 24mm mounts to get the iconic five motor cluster.

The Blue Tube is VERY close in dimension to the supplied tubes, the centering rings and transition slid on with minimal sanding.

Here are all the new and modified pieces ready for assembly. Spirals have been filled and a first coat of primer has been sprayed and mostly sanded off so that the wraps will still fit. The four new holes have been drilled in the rear centering ring. There was more tear-out than I would have liked, but this is the back side that won't be visible. The 24mm motor tubes will get blocks placed for Estes E motors. Now comes some actual assembly!
IMG_20181204_192339.jpg

This is the 38mm motor mount with the first two centering rings attached. You can also see the 4x24mm motor tubes. I plan on adding balsa stringers to the 24mm tubes that will make contact with the inside of the airframe to stabilize them without adding yet another centering ring.

You can see the two syringes that I have been using to make micro batches of US Composites medium epoxy. I've never tried this before, but it's working very well so far. I much prefer using 4ml of epoxy at a time, rather than mixing up an entire cup full and trying to figure out how to use it all before it flashes.

I have chosen to build the rocket with the internal launch lug even though I plan on installing rail buttons and flying off a rail. This opens up MANY more motor options, and I can still use the lug for display without worrying about the rocket getting knocked over.

IMG_20181206_220934 (1).jpg

I had the day off yesterday and was able to finally finish this rocket. I should be launching it next week at Hellfire. Since I took these pictures I gave it a nice satin clear coat and it looks even better. All that's left is to figure out where to put the rail buttons...

67273854_2716541678373923_6203553331009290240_o.jpg 67143190_2716541588373932_1198880317553770496_o.jpg 67434707_2716541621707262_8757820126251712512_o.jpg 67264051_2716541611707263_985373791007801344_o.jpg

I had the day off yesterday and was able to finally finish this rocket. I should be launching it next week at Hellfire. Since I took these pictures I gave it a nice satin clear coat and it looks even better. All that's left is to figure out where to put the rail buttons...

Wow, that detail is stunning. What motor will you use?

I'm going with the recommended Aerotech I284W for at least the first couple of launches. Putting rail buttons on it gives me a much greater choice of motors over the internal 4' lug.

I have been trying to locate one for a cluster modification project. I have one that I fly occasionally on J285s. Was going to fly it for the anniversary in SC but ended up having to work. Will fly it at Freedom Launch though.

Just as a point of information, Sirius sell that kit for $499.95 . . .

And they have been out of stock since the run early this year. I emailed him and he did not know when he would do another run of kits. Even offered to put a deposit down.

I was supremely lucky to get this kit off this forum at the OLD retail price and with free shipping. I guess the original buyer didn't like what he saw when he opened the box, but I sure did!

I ended up flying this on the I284W and four D9W reloads with igniters in all five engines ignited by my cluster box. It was nice because the D9s have a lower peak thrust and longer burn times than even Estes E9s, let alone the E12s I was considering. There was no chance of the rocket leaving the pad without the center engine. It was great to see it spark and spit for a fraction of a second with a couple of the D9s lighting first, before the center motor came up to pressure and the whole thing roared off the pad with all five motors burning. It went WAY higher than I thought it would in my mind. The small parachute attached to the top section opened immediately, but the hugely over-sized parachute on the rest of the rocket took a couple seconds to inflate, much to my chagrin.

Unfortunately even with a 90" parachute, all four fins and 1.5 fairings broke off when they hit the salt. I'll have to come up with some way off reinforcing the rear end without adding much weight, maybe disposable 3D printed fins or something. Still, I was very pleased with how the flight went overall and I plan on flying it again at LDRS next month using these same motors.

Pics to follow.

Back