Sirius Rocketry Eradicator build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyg23

Reaction score
I just got this one from www.siriusrocketry.biz. Very nice kit. The only thing I think I might upgrade is the motor retainer. It comes with a screw and washer that hold it in, but I might get the estes 29mm screw on retainer. 20200701_171900.jpg20200701_172204.jpg20200701_173723.jpg

First up is the motor mount and attaching the centering rings. The bottom one gets a brass insert to hold the motor retainer bolt.20200701_183239.jpg

Next is the cutting of the lower body tube. There is a pattern included that you just line up with the bottom and tape in place. I used an exacto knife with a new blade and this went very well. 20200701_183659.jpg20200701_184441.jpg20200701_185053.jpg

Next is to glue the motor mount into place inside the lower tube. Aft centering ring is flush with the bottom20200702_173608.jpg of the tube.

Next is the upper centering rings. I epoxied those into the correct place.

20200702_174239.jpg

After cleaning up the fins, they are next to be attached. I used epoxy on the part that goes inside the tube and wood glue for the strakes that just sit on top of the tube. I slid the rings on while this all dries just to make sure it is lined up correctly.

20200702_175808.jpg20200702_175811.jpg20200702_175836.jpg

Nice looking kit, and looks like a fun build. Based on your speed, I wouldn't be surprised if you got to do the first flight this weekend!

Nice looking kit, and looks like a fun build. Based on your speed, I wouldn't be surprised if you got to do the first flight this weekend!
Well, I don't have any 29mm motors yet so no test launch this weekend.

The vendor that I am getting them from is bringing a CTI H54 and H133. I am thinking the H54 for the cert attempt.

I've seen one of those in person, it's a great-looking rocket (as are most of Sirius's kits).

I'm guessing the rings get glued in after paint is finished?

(speaking of which, it's been 90 minutes since you started this thread, figured you'd be painting by now ;))

I've seen one of those in person, it's a great-looking rocket (as are most of Sirius's kits).

I'm guessing the rings get glued in after paint is finished?

(speaking of which, it's been 90 minutes since you started this thread, figured you'd be painting by now ;))
Yes the rings will be glued after painting.

That's a nice looking rocket. Use a Jolly Logic Chute release for your cert flight if you can, that's the best way to make sure you get it back!

cheers - mark
I don't have a jlcr and I cant afford one right now. I would love to have one someday though. Any body want to send me one?

I am trying something different that I saw on here for my fillets. Works great!20200703_091752.jpg20200703_092039.jpg20200703_092535.jpg

I am trying something different that I saw on here for my fillets. Works great!
They do look excellent. Definitely look like a worthwhile option for larger LPR or MPR.

Did you mask those? Did you apply any wood glue fillets before covering with the Power Grab? Strength is the one aspect of these that I am uncertain about (someone needs to do some testing...)

They do look excellent. Definitely look like a worthwhile option for larger LPR or MPR.

Did you mask those? Did you apply any wood glue fillets before covering with the Power Grab? Strength is the one aspect of these that I am uncertain about (someone needs to do some testing...)
I did not mask them. Personally I feel it works better for me to just put the glue on there and use my finger. Just don't get too much or it goes everywhere. The fins were very strong when I started so I am not worried about strength. I feel when this dries it will be just as strong or stronger than wood glue so I am not worried about strength. I have only used wood glue in the past for fillets so it was nice to have something that didn't run all over when wet and you could get a nice size fillet with 1 pass.

Looks like a fun build! You're doing a great job so far. According to the description the kit comes with a rip stop nylon chute. I noticed a plastic chute in the background of your first pic. That wasn't the chute that came with the kit is it?

Last edited:
The launch lugs were a little tricky. I am only able to attach the top one before paint as the rings will be painted before they are glued into place.

20200703_100521.jpg20200703_100908.jpg

Attachments

• 20200703_100521.jpg
    20200703_100521.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 10
The launch lugs were a little tricky. I am only able to attach the top one before paint as the rings will be painted before they are glued into place.

View attachment 423098View attachment 423099
Looking at the pictures I would assume gluing the rings in place would be best just to apply glue to the inside of the and glue it to the bottom portion of the slot that's in the fin?

The tricky part was getting the top one lined up. The rings come off for painting and then after they get glued in, the bottom lug will be installed.

20200703_152605.jpg20200703_152837.jpg20200703_152829.jpg

I will put rail buttons on the other side so I have either option.

Personally I feel it works better for me to just put the glue on there and use my finger. Just don't get too much or it goes everywhere. The fins were very strong when I started so I am not worried about strength. I feel when this dries it will be just as strong or stronger than wood glue so I am not worried about strength.

w.r.t. glues in a 10 oz construction cartridges (for use with caulk guns), how do you guys seal the cartridges after you cut them open?

I have a bunch of them stored in the basement for home projects (glues, caulk, waterproof sealants, etc), but have always treated them as disposable: cut one open, use it, then throw it away. They are cheap enough, and for occasional home projects it's not much of a problem. The few times I tried sealing off open cartridges with tape or caps, air always got in or out, and ruined the substance inside the cartridge.

How do you cap seal yours?
What's the glue's shelf life once the cartridge has been cut open?

Back