Sirius Refit USS Atlantis Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally read through this whole build thread, and really enjoyed it! I plan to build one of these, and this will be a great reference. What was the final weight? Seems to me a club member liked to fly his on an E18. Thanks for all the great info, and hope your first flight went (or goes) well.

Finally read through this whole build thread, and really enjoyed it! I plan to build one of these, and this will be a great reference. What was the final weight? Seems to me a club member liked to fly his on an E18. Thanks for all the great info, and hope your first flight went (or goes) well.

It ended up being about 9 ounces/255g. Flew it on a D12-3 and aerotech E15-4. Both worked great. Didn't have any electronics on board, so can't tell you how high it went, but it flew fine. It did get a pretty big paint chip out of one of the nacelles. Wasn't too difficult to patch up later, but they are pretty fragile. I flew it on a day with zero wind and it was in a very soft dirt sod farm field. I would be very hesitant to fly this on a day with any wind or where it may land on a hard surface - I don't think the nacelles would survive that and it pretty much always lands nacelles first.

It is a beautiful bird and looks awesome on the rocket wall. It is a super fun project to build and I recommend it, but it probably has limited flying opportunities if you care about keeping it looking good.

One note - I am very happy I added the rail buttons. Way easier to fly than using launch lugs, plus they look cool on this rocket :)

Also, the other nice thing you get working on a Sirius rocket is David - he bends over backwards to help if you have questions and has always answered my emails within a day. Really excellent customer service there.

Back