Sirius Radio

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecretSquirrel

Reaction score
I just got a Sirius Radio last night along with a free trial period. I know nothing about the service, anybody have any input about it? I haven't really listened to it yet. Is it worth the money for the monthly subscription?

I just got a Sirius Radio last night along with a free trial period. I know nothing about the service, anybody have any input about it? I haven't really listened to it yet. Is it worth the money for the monthly subscription?

If you don't own an iPod, maybe... I have a Xfm subscription for traffic only, listen to iPod otherwise.

Erik

Kind of pricey, I heard they just upped their rates & it was about $13.00 per month before that happened...

JD

I drive 3500 miles a month for work alone and I will never not have it in a vehicle again.

I've had an XM reciever for a few years now. When there was a long distance drive to do a show, it was great! Comedy, old time radio and news.
But as time went on, more (and still more) advertisements have snuck into the broadcasts. Too many ads for me. I originally subscribed because they didn't run so many ads!
With today's budget I'm going to have to cancel. Two months back, I called up to stop the service. The operator gave me three months for free trying to sell me on the new XM/Sirius format. So, until the end of March I'll listen. But, after that, it'll be gone.

I'm a huge fan of Sirius. I have an hour commute to school and I get a little tired of the same music over and over either on my iPod or regular radio, so I decided to go with Sirius. I mostly got it for the comedy channels, but over the past few months I've gotten addicted to the political talk and blues channels too. There's a lot of great music that I know I wouldn't have found otherwise had I not bought it. And for Christmas I got a Sirius home stereo that it plugs into and I have that on more than my tv now.

I have XM in my truck and love it.
During the elections I did not have to listen to any of the BS.
You can beat them down on the price when you sign up, ask about any specials or deals.

Mark

2 words Howard Stern. The service is the best commercial free music channels, uncesored channels no FCC. Theres a Playboy station you have to call and ask them to activate it (free) very explicit. Ive had mine for 3 years and my ex for 2 years. You can pay for 11 months and get the 12th for free. Or you can do like I did and buy a lifetime service for $500. About 3 1/2 years it will pay for itself. I cant even emagine listening to regular radio again. Try the free trial period and if you like it go from there.

I got one in my 09 Chevy HHR with a 90 free trial. Never did activate it. I can put up with a few commercials for free radio.
Aren't they having major finacial problems?
It would make sense if you were a OTR truck driver though.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Queen? (I'm Running out of new ones)

It appears that XM/Sirius are going to be declaring bankruptcy. I would be leary about paying in full ahead of time for the service. They generally try to get this and offer you a better rate if you do so.

I had both XM and Sirius until recently, now just XM.

I *really* hope they can get over this financial hump, but it doesn't look likely. Don't get anything but the shortest possible subscription.

It is simply the best thing to have when you are driving long distances. The only times I have trouble are driving through some of the mountains in PA, and through Manhattan or downtown Atlanta (though Atlanta has terrestrial repeaters that take over in some places, including tunnels, but then again, we don't have the tunnels that Manhattan does!)

They are not going to be declaring bankruptcy. The folks at DirecTV have made a major investment to help them make a loan payment. They have another payment coming up but it should not be that difficult to handle. They have over 2 BILLION in revenue per year.

More people listen to the Howard Stern show on channel 100 and 101 than watch the Tonight Show or any of the popoular daytime TV shows. Even if you do not care about Howard (or cannot appreciate his amazing interviews with a huge array of TV/Movie stars and musicians, there are so many 100% conmmercial free music channels and a variety of talk and specialty channels with very few commercials. FM has about 18 minutes of commercials per hour and Sirius channels with commercials have only around 5 to 8 (and Howard will often go for an hour and a half without a break because they are on a roll). There are channels that beam you the audio of CNN and Fox news channels, so they will have more commercials because that's what's on the TV channels.

ALLOW ME TO YELL: I WILL NEVER HAVE A CAR WITHOUT SIRIUS EVER AGAIN. I WILL NEVER ACCEPT A RENT A CAR WITHOUT SIRIUS.

By the way, subscribe now (before 3/10 ?) and lock in the current low rate which is 42 cents a day for the monthly rate and lower if you sign up for a year or more.

The comedy channels are also quite good. Channel guide is online so check it out and I think they let you listen online for a trial period.

by the way, "bankruptcy" does not mean that they turn off the signal. It simply means they get to renegotiate repayment of debt. your subscriptions are still good.

If anyone tried to turn off satellite radio (Sirius/XM), the truckers of North America would bring the entire nation to it's knees. They *love* their satellite radio.

by the way, "bankruptcy" does not mean that they turn off the signal. It simply means they get to renegotiate repayment of debt. your subscriptions are still good.

If anyone tried to turn off satellite radio (Sirius/XM), the truckers of North America would bring the entire nation to it's knees. They *love* their satellite radio.

Depending on What type of bankruptcy they file, they may not have to honor previous contracts. So even if you have prepaid for a year, they realistically can say 'sorry, you have to pay more to keep receiving service.' Thus my recommendation of not committing to a long contract currently.

Depending on What type of bankruptcy they file, they may not have to honor previous contracts. So even if you have prepaid for a year, they realistically can say 'sorry, you have to pay more to keep receiving service.' Thus my recommendation of not committing to a long contract currently.

No, if any attempt was made to charge subscribers higher rates for subscriptions they already signed up for, the nation would come to a complete stop as a trucking strike would result and the economy would be destroyed. You can bank on that.

They are not in financial difficulty from subscribers. It is from debt that could not be refinanced as it would normally have been. ALL industries are having problems securing loans or renewing debt.

Waiting to subsribe later will result in a higher rate in the future. Sign up now and lock in the current low rates.

They did accrue a huge debt when they went through the 16 month merger. And now they are combined there operating cost will be much lower also. I have to agree with Fred on this one I'll always have a car with Sirius. The 5 most important things in my life are my daughter and family, my house, my corvette, my rockets, and my Sirius.

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure how long my trial period is, but I'll explore it and see if it's something I want to keep. I originally didn't want Sirius, but all the radios available had it so I have it.

I have a 1 year free trial on my new truck, and I really enjoy it! I can listen to all the NASCAR smack!..LOL..Had XM for the longest time when I was a long haul trucker and really liked it then too..

Back