Sirius Interrogator G build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

mtnmanak

TRA & NAR L2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This bird is functionally complete.

Note, in the photo below, the nosecone is masked off and has been hit with a first coat of primer and sanded smooth.

Final steps:
- Masking, priming, painting
- Install recovery
- Decals

Probably will take a few days to prime & paint, so anticipate early next week to achieve a fully painted rocket.

Attachments

mtnmanak

TRA & NAR L2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got a couple coats of gray filler primer on today, sanded, and then hit with another two coats of white primer. Looks pretty good right now. Going to wait a few days for the primer to cure thoroughly then wet sand and give it a white gloss color coat, then a few more days before detail painting , decals and clear coat.

Attachments

Scott231

Reaction score
Looking fantastic MountainMan! Rocket will look more "Aviation-authentic" with Matte Clear applied after the decals (but your preference is...preferred). If you think it takes a long time to paint, just wait until you start applying those three sheets of decals. o_Oo_Oo_O

mtnmanak

TRA & NAR L2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking fantastic MountainMan! Rocket will look more "Aviation-authentic" with Matte Clear applied after the decals (but your preference is...preferred). If you think it takes a long time to paint, just wait until you start applying those three sheets of decals. o_Oo_Oo_O
Oh yeah, if you check out my build thread for the Sirius Refit USS Atlantis, you will see how the decal/clear coat process can go south VERY quickly (luckily, David at Sirius will really help you out if things go bad). I am going to go with a gloss white coat to make sure the decals stick, then take your advice on the matte clear coat - should look awesome! The decals are some of the best parts of Sirius kits, no one makes a decal sheet like David!

Key for this go around is not rushing it this time around. If you are following this thread, get ready for some long wait times between coats :)

mtnmanak

TRA & NAR L2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Also, the matte coating should help bleed off a bit of altitude. I am not looking for altitude records on this one, especially without dual deploy. I will fly it with a JLCR, but looking forward to trying this one out with a cool sparky motor like the AT H115 Darkmatter. That should be a great compliment for this rocket, but won't mind if the rocket ends up a little heavy with a little extra drag to keep it from going really high.