Sir Breaks-a-lot (a neil_w design)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built it up using the above drawing, and making measurements to get close. There is a taper in the red fins that I left off in the interest of expediency and stability. I decided on a BT-50 body tube and the rest scaled accordingly. The fins are 1/8" balsa which doesn't leave much gluing surface!

P3260422.JPG

My family doesn't get the humor of this rocket at all (I think it's hilarious), but they did suggest the paint scheme so I went with it. Plus I got to clear out a few almost empty cans of paint (bonus). My youngest (4 years old) picked out the colors and I did the application.

P3280442.JPG

That paint job is perfect, should camouflage all the places where pieces get re-glued.

The blue spot looks like a cockpit… intentional?

The rear-most T-fins are really a horror show... maybe this would be best with rear-eject so it can come down nose-first, and spike itself into the ground. Actually I'll be pleasantly surprised if those even survive ascent.

I hope you made it MD so you can shove an F44 in there?

Last edited:
That paint job is perfect, should camouflage all the places where pieces get re-glued.

Definitely a bonus, I'm expecting lots of field repairs. Even transportation and normal handling repairs.

The blue spot looks like a cockpit… intentional?

Totally accident, I hadn't even noticed until you pointed it out. I wouldn't want to be a pilot or a passenger though.

The rear-most T-fins are really a horror show... maybe this would be best with rear-eject so it can come down nose-first, and spike itself into the ground. Actually I'll be pleasantly surprised if those even survive ascent.

Those are totally the most diabolical parts of this thing. The slanted fins are actually reasonably rigid. But those T-fins are bloody ridiculous. Well, with rear eject you've got a balsa spear coming straight down, so I don't know which is better! I thought about sim'ing it with different combinations of fins, because I wouldn't be surprised if several didn't make it all the way to apogee still attached to the rocket.

I hope you made it MD so you can shove an F44 in there?

Now that'd be an instant shred. It's got an 18mm mount, but that still allows for the Q-jet D motors.

I loved my Smash up Derby set but was impossible to get the wheels back on with my kid hands so just left them off. I'm guessing your rocket won't have the same flaw. :)

Not to take away from the creativity, but “frangible” recovery is a valid, tested, proven technique.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/frangible
consider using soda straws, paper or plastic, taped onto dowels for your anticipated impact points, can even be recycled. The INTENDED breakage of the straws absorbs much of the impact stress.

For standard recovery (nose low with chute, NOT rear eject) as long as the straws are oriented parallel to the long axis of the rocket, ideally attached along the forward end of the straw, with the trailing tips aft, they survive the boost stress quite well.

remove tape, removed and replace straws, retape, and you are ready for next flight.

if you think about it, all the Gemini and Apollo missions were 95% frangible.

Last edited:
Neatly pack a big chute. Launch on the green green grass of home near sea level. It will be fine.

Stay away from the Space Cowboys on the hard plains and thin air with ridiculously powerful motors.

Dat Rocket gotta lotta junk in the trunk. Sir Mix-A-Lot like dat. Baby got back!

But ‘Horosho’ is Russian for ‘okay’, so you’ll be fine, tovarich.
Welly welly welly well. What do we have here. A Droogie with an achey breaky rocket. A real Clockwork Orange that one is. Gonna take some real yarbels to tolchock the knopka!

Razrez it off the pad! Be dobby, don't have the Sophistos call in the Millicents or Bruiseboys. You will end up in the gazetta or worse, in the stripeyhole staja! :)

Last edited:
Yeah! That makes a lot of sense, like "crumple zones". Heh, that'd be a good name for a rocket.
Ooh, ooh! In the spirit of crumple zones, you could use those bendy straws. Laugh if you want (I'm laughing inside) but they really would absorb a little more energy.

For sure.. shove as many Newtons into it that as you can muster.

Cue Camera's...
Roll tape...
Action...
Sky is clear...
Range is clear...
(Hail Mary, full of grace...)
:eek:

It's the landing I'd like to see. Has anyone figured out a way to live stream a landing from up close? 😆

I’m quoting this, before the day is over.

To the moloko bar, my droogs.
There are going to be several upcoming launches here on the Forum that will take real "BALLS" to push the button!

I'll have Moloko Vellocet. It will sharpen me up for a little of the old ultraviolence when the buttons are pushed. Gets me ready to run from the City Police or the Country Club Private Security. Don't want my name to end up in the newspaper or worse, end up in a dank jail cell. :)

Back