Single stripe decals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael MacDonald

Reaction score
Because we've been trapped inside our home due to the pandemic, I was able to persuade my wife to
build a model rocket! She chose the ASP Neo-Standard, a good looking but easy 4BNC 18mm kit. This was a first for her and she did a fantastic job. She is about to finish it and wants to add some black body rings.

She could mask off the area and paint them but I'm hoping to find her some stripe decals that would work. Being her first build, a decal would be easier.

Anyone got a suggestion as to where to find them? I looked at the Estes pack but they only have a single decal with multiple stripes of diminishing sizes. She could cut them out, but I'm looking for something that would be easy to help insure success.

I'd be willing to purchase a surplus set from anyone who has an extra.

Thanks for your help.

We look forward to flying once we get the all clear sign!

Michael MacDonald

Do you have access to a laser printer? I find it easy enough to make my own decals. Just order laser decal paper and print away. I use Paint to create the designs. Here is a sample of what I have done.

Attachments

• Printed Decal sheet 1.png
    Printed Decal sheet 1.png
    274.1 KB · Views: 29
1. Automotive pin stripe tape.
2. Vinyl electrical tape. Take a straight edge ruler and hobby knife and cut to the width and length desired.
3. Spray paint on decal paper. Then cut to width and length, and apply like a waterslide.

I've used pinstriping from the autoparts store (although it seems to be harder to locate anything under 1/4" width or in anything but black there)). I was able to locate some waterslide pinstripping from the local hobby shop in 3 colors and in widths from 3/8 " down to 1/64 ".

Pinstripping.jpg

2. Vinyl electrical tape. Take a straight edge ruler and hobby knife and cut to the width and length desired.
QUOTE]

QUOTE]
also comes in many colors.

Also, for those who don't want to fill spirals, vinyl tape does something that most other tapes can't do, it CAN be used to cover the spirals because it has more flexibility. So you can prime and paint your background color. Put your color of choice tape on a piece of wax paper and cut the strip to diameter wanted. Then peel it off the wax paper (so you don't lose the adhesive.)

Now you can run it over the rocket twisting it over the spirals. Makes a great Candy Cane or Barber Pole style rocket![/

Cricut paper works great. I used it on my V2 White Sands paint job.
FKeYTCL_hY-JCDRk9RaTZKT-PHFU4oTGZpDMAPvNVAujRD8TVezhlBvfEt6wguep27fFZJeP-h-CDhYYb7n8XEm6Qu2sYNBoKDlB3MIaKABzRtHm9FIB1tNyrf3DsBNaqh_Zf7w4xCcP6UjxyHE-rWvJP5uCZIgq2XJACGblLvmN6VPrl7Wao8UFDyIly_iQB9rXps3rtCgBjm5q8K4xiQZBpVQJxpTTd2TXxhQAqXKJvJ0UOR9fqrb69yaJkY3eNQwzlyCHUk7Hw9yLPo_5izU87WD8LQmKP2jCyuN8-yCEZVwl0CnPsHMXWfhObzmuNnGV9uXO650jkepAJv8HQujPwlEYkBE26SF3DeXl-DOksgYVt13Q4TZ4nqiDeBWjHB3O_kkQKdlgEQS9xWJQi265tMil_gZHXcFB-F3YDbp_5DA8BKX5G5JEX532kcu1Qt1WTOxg88czU-XBykduUHuvXoSQAfhPRH_Y5gUgOrKA0m1zyCIptwfIDSXFqgM9wEAiaSbxuOh8i0jBZ3puAQMMrvtkbEZCvsKTnrmH6e7Yvr6tTL3AjfCuSehD1lenSZ4YQ2C6uStxBGEh7v8_edOF-rRtU6gQXZpQ6lA-k2e6kGTyIISq_5cnh8JiUhBny-xZsiuW-dJ6-98LZakZPa9njY2b9J8x4CJA5MqZDRGHXvaE0AawzUqMcwtXyQ=w512-h681-no

Sidenote: Alway clean gloves after changing paint and clearcoats. :( I messed up the nose cone doing that :(

Back