Single rocket launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
I got a flight in with my last C6-5 earlier today, the rocket in flight was my 'mini-mach'. A MD 18mm rocket with balsa fins.

I coated the fins with CYA + the inside of the bodytube. The rocket ignited, and jumped off the pad with serious speed, span once then shot off at about 60-70 degrees. I found the rocket in peices, with 2 fins ripped straight off. This is my first ever shred and it was SCARY.

Attached is the rocksim file,

Karl

You sure it was a shred Karl, could it have just gone unstable and the fins broken when it hit the ground? Did it have a period of normal flight or start spinning as soon as it left the rod?

It was a two peice Estes rod from a few years back which is made from a different material from the ones that are avail now. The material is pretty flimsy.

It had to be a shread, when I found the rocket it was nosecone down, with the airframe looking like a exploded firework. The rocket got to about 50ft when it went unstable, but the strange thing is , is that it didn't keep spinning, evened itself out and carried flying. It had a little too much noseweight and thats what gradually brought the nose down when it went horizontal.

The flight was a well cool one, it was pitch black in the middle of Shirdley Park's football field, and the motor looked like a Skidmark once it ignited :p

I recoverd the rocket due to it having a 'Ear-Ring Glo-Stik' CA'd onto the side. These things are awesome, small but usefull.

Karl

Originally posted by Karl

I recoverd the rocket due to it having a 'Ear-Ring Glo-Stik' CA'd onto the side. These things are awesome, small but usefull.

Karl

Hi Karl,

I think you answered your own question with this remark... Appears to have been aerodynamic drag induced by that one glostick ...

TonyF

Back