Single launch lug?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senior Space Cadet

Reaction score
I've been cutting my launch lugs in half, and mounting two halves instead of two whole lugs.
The lugs come ridiculously long. I could use the 1/4" for a shower curtain rod (slight exaggeration).
The longer they are, the more friction and the more critical it is to have perfect alignment.
Ideally, I think I'd have two eyebolts mounted like rail buttons.
On my latest rocket, which is a 34" BT-55, I've kept the 1/4" lug whole, but am only mounting one near the balance point.
This will avoid any alignment issues. In my way of thinking, it is better to have one long lug than two that aren't in perfect alignment.
I have it glued on solidly. I wouldn't try this on anything bigger, but I really can't see how it won't work on rockets this size and smaller, but Murphy seems to love rocketry.
I suppose the safe thing would be to launch it before the club launch, to make sure nothing crazy happens.
Just wondering if anyone else has been crazy enough to try using just one lug?

If you use a single long lug, make it loose. A 5/16" ID for a 1/4" rod works well. This reduces the friction an prevents binding if the rod isn't perfectly straight.

I've been cutting my launch lugs in half, and mounting two halves instead of two whole lugs.
The lugs come ridiculously long. I could use the 1/4" for a shower curtain rod (slight exaggeration).
The longer they are, the more friction and the more critical it is to have perfect alignment.
Ideally, I think I'd have two eyebolts mounted like rail buttons.
On my latest rocket, which is a 34" BT-55, I've kept the 1/4" lug whole, but am only mounting one near the balance point.
This will avoid any alignment issues. In my way of thinking, it is better to have one long lug than two that aren't in perfect alignment.
I have it glued on solidly. I wouldn't try this on anything bigger, but I really can't see how it won't work on rockets this size and smaller, but Murphy seems to love rocketry.
I suppose the safe thing would be to launch it before the club launch, to make sure nothing crazy happens.
Just wondering if anyone else has been crazy enough to try using just one lug?
My TODO list, which is approximately infinitely long, includes remembering someday to try fishing rod guides.

Last edited:
It all depends on the design.... form follows function. A 10" long rocket will have a different lug arrangement than a 4 ft long rocket.

I like to try to design the lug into the scheme of the rocket... thus making the lug look like a weapons pod, or adding two lugs for symmetry.

011.JPG
DSCF6122.JPG

Last edited:
Back