Single Bridle Wrapping

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ONAWHIM

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Do any of you wrap your shroud lines at the end creating a bridle?

I'm referring to the area where the shroud lines gather and would attach to the nosecone or other.

All my chutes simply loop from one panel to the other and of course a knot is tied where I describe or that point is looped with the shock cord.

I would like to dress-up the shroud lines.

I have plenty of heat shrink but that's probably NG on nylon shroud.
I thought of using waxed whipping line and creating a whip.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Wm.

Do any of you wrap your shroud lines at the end creating a bridle?

I'm referring to the area where the shroud lines gather and would attach to the nosecone or other.

All my chutes simply loop from one panel to the other and of course a knot is tied where I describe or that point is looped with the shock cord.

I would like to dress-up the shroud lines.

I thought of using waxed whipping line and creating a whip.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Wm.

Sounds good to me. It's been a really long time since I was asked to whip a rope (try... 13 or 14 in Boy Scouts...) but I think it would work well. You could probably also use heat shrink, just use a clean soldering iron to shrink the heat shrink and don't touch the lines. I could be wrong, so just test it on a couple pieces of scrap bundled together first.

Brian,
Thanks

Because of the way most chutes in mid power have 3-actual shroud lines looped, with a panel connection at each end, grabbing them will always have at least one line twisted.

I would like to dress the shrouds at the bridle and hide the twist so that when the lines exit the bridle they will not be twisted.

As for the heat shrink, I have a heat gun just for doing that but I would need to experiment.

Perhaps whipping and shrink?

Heat shrink works fine on nylon shroud lines. As long as you are reasonable with the use of the heat gun (keep it a decent distance away and wave it back and forth) the heat shrink responds long before any damage to the nylon lines.

Why not just use masking tape, and avoid the risk of damage to the lines entirely?

-Kevin

Tim, Kevin, Aviator,
Thanks for the input.

I have some old parachutes that I might try different methods on.

Creating a bridle or not isn't a critical.

Like building or crafting; its something to toy with, a distraction , a stress reliever.

Thanks guys

I always loop the collected shroud lines through the attachment eye of a snap swivel. I don't want to twist the lines together anywhere above that point because it will reef the 'chute. I have heard of people attaching bridles to their parachutes, but I do not understand what advantage that provides.

Mark K.

I bought a spool of 150 lb dacron line I use for shrould lines. I make chutes from old umbrellas. I use heavy duty upholstery thread to wrap the shroud lines, leaving about a 2" loop.

I have several 53" golf umbrella chutes I use with DD and they snap open at pretty good speeds with 8-10 lbs hanging on them and I've never had the wraps break.

Back