Simulate booster drag in OR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astroadrian99

Reaction score
Hey So I'm just wondering, I know one cannot really put boosters or side pods with OR but was wondering could one simulate drag of them by using fins in the shape of them and making them same thickness? If not, what is another way one can do so? Building a scale SLS, at the moment would only use engine in core and sides would simply be aesthetic but can't figure out if my fins are oversized or not.

OR gives an error when you put "thick" fins but it should be better than nothing.

Maybe you could also (instead) consider using larger transitions off the center body to approximate the total surface area of the additional pods. OR basically ignores body tubes in CP calculation so transitions and nose cones as well as fins are the only thing it sees / considers. If you did this I would adjust fins that are on the pods/boosters so that they are the same height as they will be in the final build. The added fin surface area should take into account the CP impact of those extra tubes to some extent.

... or get a copy of the latest development build, which supports those features. It's a bit of effort to get it running, which is either worth it or not depending on your comfort level with administering your computer.

OR gives an error when you put "thick" fins but it should be better than nothing.

Maybe you could also (instead) consider using larger transitions off the center body to approximate the total surface area of the additional pods. OR basically ignores body tubes in CP calculation so transitions and nose cones as well as fins are the only thing it sees / considers. If you did this I would adjust fins that are on the pods/boosters so that they are the same height as they will be in the final build. The added fin surface area should take into account the CP impact of those extra tubes to some extent.

Would I need to match Crossection Area or area of the whole booster tube? Im assuming whole booster side profile but not really sure how OR calculates CP honestly.

... or get a copy of the latest development build, which supports those features. It's a bit of effort to get it running, which is either worth it or not depending on your comfort level with administering your computer.

Where would I get that development build, been looking unsuccessfully.

DB2F6DDF-4C5F-478E-A3CC-B1C41F0784AE.jpeg
☝That is how I modeled this⬇ in OR.
the results were fairly accurate after I adjusted various components weights.
F0E05270-4D3A-4841-ABD8-BFE7A0D733CF.jpeg

Or break down and spring for RockSim.

I doubt much. It's pricey, but most updates are free; I bought version 5 or 6 for about $100 and paid $25 for one of the major versions, but that's all. We're up to the third bug fix release (I think) of version 10, the price for the product has gone up, but there hasn't been another charge to me for all that time. If it ever goes to software-as-a-service I'll go fully over to OR. I just hope that by that time OR will have ring tails, tube fins, and pods.

Back