Simple finless rocket in flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're having RSO problems, sing the US national anthem. When you get to the line about "rocket's red glare", this is what you're singing about:

183congreve1_small.jpg

It's a Congreve artillery rocket. This is my scale model of it:

621congreve_small.jpg

And this is how it looks after launch:

648congreve_luft_small.jpg

A conventional launch lug is useless on a rocket whose body tube is right near the top of the launch rod, so I tape a long brass tube to the rod, tape the controller wires to the tube so there isn't a large mass of cable pulling down on the igniter, and put the stick into the tube to effectively reverse the roles of launch rod and launch lug. The rod (stick) goes up with the rocket, the lug (brass tube) stays behind.

Okay, this thread is super cool, although probably close to dead as David hasn't responded in a while. At any rate, very cool stuff, David! I'd say the motor is an F32T based on the photo.

I just skimmed this thing as I'm still stuck at work BUT can't you reduce the Krushnic effect by cutting vents in the tube below the motors? Ben Jarvis mentions it here...plus a cool flight!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuXIk3NDyS8

Back