Silver Comet #2141

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnwwa

Reaction score
Stopped by a hobby shop today and in the corner in the back was a Silver Comet. Took me back alot of years to the early 50's
Sci-Fi movies and thoughts of Buck Rogers. So needless to say I picked it up and blew off the dust and headed for the front counter. I think this kit came out in about 1997-2000. I will build this kit some day. Also they had a Estes #2110 Mercury Atlas at $58.99 and a good selection of Estes Kits.

:) John
BAR

$58 bucks sounds like a good price on a rocket that you can't hardly find anymore...

The Silver Comet is a good one, I dtill have mine from 1998...Needs a little restoration, but it still flies great on an Aerotech E18 reload.

I know of a hobby shop tucked away in a town that does not care about rockets that much :eek: yes, there is a town like that near here....anyway, this hobby shop had some NCR kits, and one of those Mercury Atlas rockets in there, so I may have to plan a short roadtrip and do some shopping :D

John,

I hope you snagged the Merc Atlas as well--they can go for $100 on ebay...

MetMan

I just finished my Silver Comet, haven't had a chance to fly it yet.
I also just picked up 3 more so if anyone is looking for one or interested in trading for one, let me know.
Here's a picture of my completed kit.

Oh yeah, grab that Mercury Atlas!!!! I have been trying to find one and all I can find is on ebay, for 100 bucks.

Johnnierkt,
Do they have any NCR Bomarcs at this place your going to? If they do could you let me know how much and would you be willing get it and ship it to me? :kill: :kill: :kill:

Johnnie,

Are you talking about RC Hobbies? If so, they have a bunch of old kits. I want to pick up that Honest John as soon as I get the money. Please don't take it away from me! :( :) ;) Just kidding, first come, first serve.

Bad News I kicked myself on the way home yesterday for not picking up the Mercury Atlas . Thought about it for two hours trying to justify spending that much money . so I decided to call back. As my luck would have it 30 minutes after I left somebody bought it . Guy said it had been in the shop sence 1997 . All of the rest of the estes were common run of the mill no OOP's just the Silver Comet and Mercury Atlas both now gone .

John
BAR

Couldn't resist showing my Silver Comet conversion :) It got a lot of attention from all the kids when I took it to the field.

havoc821,

No, this little shop of horrors is down south past B'Ham...road trip. Besides, I already have an Honest John...I hope to fly it in Manchester in 2 weeks on an F24

Originally posted by cussler08
Couldn't resist showing my Silver Comet conversion :) It got a lot of attention from all the kids when I took it to the field.

Nice!
I've always thought those fins ought to be swept the other way. In fact, I recently picked up another Silver Comet to make a more 50's Sci-Fi version... like yours.

Something like this:

S...

Johnnie,

When you said "near" I thought you meant "in town" near. Anways, I would like to have the Honest John at RC Hobbies. Maybe I can convince them to lower the price........once I get money. I am broke from spending my money on stuff for the upcoming launch in Manchester in 2 weeks. I can't wait for that launch. My biggest rocket I will be flying is my BSD 4 inch Horizon on a H128. Your HJ should go HIGH on an F, unless you overbuild your rockets like I do. :p Anways, hope to see you there!

Gratz on your find!
Sorry to hear you missed out on the Atlas. Sounds like Murphy at work.
That Silver Comet is definately cool. Just something about that retro early sci-fi cigar shape.
I have seen quite a few OOP rockets that are really cool. Makes me wonder why they are OOP. Guess that's the only way to make collector stuff.
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by cussler08

that thing is amazingly awesome. wow it looks sooo cool

I forgot I made this!

I could only find 3 of my Silver Comet fins.

But if the bad guys attack...I'm ready!

sandman

Back