Silly Mosquito question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance in AK

Reaction score
Ok, silly question(you guys are going to have to get used to these with me). Just built my first kit in 30 yrs., a Mosquito.
Instructions say launch supplies needed include wadding. In flight instructions, wadding is not mentioned.
I assume that the wadding is inserted before the motor to protect the plastic nose cone?
Vance

It doesn't matter cause all Mosquitos disappear into the ether once launched. :D

I don't remember using wadding with my Mosquitos, course, I don't remember getting them back either.

Most of my Scouts, paint their Mosquitos in camouflage color schemes, because we lose so many pianted in florescent reds, orange and pinks:) If you fly them on a 1/4A3 you may get it back. I've also had good recovery luck, converting them to Micro-Maxx 2 motors, a .35n/sec 1/4A:) Actually if converted to MMX you can add a teflon plumbers tape streamer and SEE the recovery:)

Wadding is not used with the mosquito.

It must be a typo. probably a cut-n-paste error since wadding is used with most model rockets.

jim

Yes, the Mosquito is ridiculously fast, I too have lost a Mosquito and a Quark.

Wadding should not be needed.

I lost one this summer. It was my 5 yr old nephew's first rocket. He painted it himself: Red and Black. We launched it, heard the 'pop' of ejection, and that was all she wrote....later that day my little nephew said: "Hey Uncle Fred, Next time you buy me a rocket, get me one that won't just fly away!!" From the mouths of babes.....

Thanks for the wadding info., that was kind of what I figured.
As far as the disposability issue, as I sit & look at the size of the thing, I have that part figured out too.
I mean, I live in Alaska! This thing looks like a hatchling compared to a real Alaska mosquito! Obvious premature birth. You should know about real mosquitos Jim.
Mostly I was looking for something inexpensive to get back in practice on before I start on the Commanche III kit my wife got me for Christmas.
Kept asking myself why I was spending so much time on the filets, shaping the fins, & appling & sanding enough primer to get rid of the body tube spiral on a model I'll probably never see again after the first launch. But, I definetly needed the practice, & it sure was fun.
Vance.

Originally posted by Vance in AK
Thanks for the wadding info., that was kind of what I figured.
As far as the disposability issue, as I sit & look at the size of the thing, I have that part figured out too.
I mean, I live in Alaska! This thing looks like a hatchling compared to a real Alaska mosquito! Obvious premature birth. You should know about real mosquitos Jim.

Vance.

what? you mean the Alaska State Bird?

The scariest sign that I saw in my many trips up there was one put up by the state rangers that stated a warning that the average adult male could only survive 3 days without insect repelant before the mosquitos would kill you.

man!

Originally posted by Vance in AK
Ok, silly question(you guys are going to have to get used to these with me). Just built my first kit in 30 yrs., a Mosquito.
Instructions say launch supplies needed include wadding. In flight instructions, wadding is not mentioned.
I assume that the wadding is inserted before the motor to protect the plastic nose cone?
Vance

This is why I absolutely LOVE this forum! You can ask a practical question, and GET a practical answer!

I remember reading a Model Rocket News issue in the 90's about some kids that flew and recovered their mosquito 28 times before losing it. The tips suggested florecent paints (of course), 1/4A engines (of course), and a LOT of patience! I guess Estes received too many letters regarding the uselessness of the mosquito kit. I would have to argue that everyone should try one. This way the road to heartache starts small! :D

Since we are semi on the subject of wadding, be sure to read up on using cellulose insulation. One of the biggest expenses you'll encounter in low power rocketry is wadding. Do yourself a favor and pick up some cellulose insulation from Home Depot. It comes in a lifetime supply (for rocketry use) and only runs about $7. It biodegrades, is flameproof, and you don't have to be stingy with it's usage.

hey, i've flown the Mosquito at least 20 times...

....well, (in my best Maxwell Smart voice), would you beleive 20 Mosquito's at least once....

hey, gotta count for SOMETHING! :D

Back