Signs of youth passing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at DrScramJet's photo of the Boss 302 Mustang. That was one of my major dream cars when I was in Hight School, that and the Hemi 'Cuda or the 440 six pack Charger.
If you are as young as you feel, then I'm not so young. I used to ride my bike up Trail Ridge Road, in RMNP, every year. I might still be able to do it, but the roads gotten a lot steeper and longer since I was in my twenties and thirties.
One of the Datsuns, can't remember if it's the 510 or what, was very successful at racing because the sheet metal was very thin. A real rust bucket, but it was fast. I remember an Opel sedan being a very successful racer too. I doubt if many young people know the Opel either.

Mentioning 27, although in jest, puts something else in mind: youth has been passing for most of our lives. The moment I realized I was grown up was when I told my parents I was moving out of their house and into an apartment with my girlfriend. Not asked them, told them. And not like there was an argument, simply that I'd decided, that it was mine to decide, and indeed they had no problem with it. Childhood was well and truly over, which is also "youth passing".

And I can certainly affirm the old saying “Youth is wasted on the young.” I’m re-reading “Fahrenheit 451” for the first time since being forced to read it for academic purposes, and find it in places eerily prescient for a book written a couple of years before I was born. You get further up the mountain, you can see further, get the big picture better, and see the dawning glory over the distant peaks…

Too funny - I had a 1200 I bought for $200 and ran this piss out of it. Started running kind of week and found it had stripped out all but 2 or 3 bolts holding the cam in place. Tightened those baby's up and dang it had some spunk! Think I sold it for like $500. That car could powerslide completely sideways and recover...In my days I have owned a '77 Datsun pickup, a '70 510 (favorite), 240z (awesome!), the 1200, 97 hardbody pu, and a frontier. Kinda done with Datsun/Nissan though. :)

And I can certainly affirm the old saying “Youth is wasted on the young.” I’m re-reading “Fahrenheit 451” for the first time since being forced to read it for academic purposes, and find it in places eerily prescient for a book written a couple of years before I was born. You get further up the mountain, you can see further, get the big picture better, and see the dawning glory over the distant peaks…
"Life does not begin until you get your second wall screen." The strange house was the one without an antennae on the roof, now the strange house is the one with the antennae. The FD might have tolerated Ebooks. Still, 1984, 1999, and 2001 are long gone, Brave New World...

When I think of Datsun (besides their 240Z, awesome as noted), I think of a tiny sedan from 'way back (early 70's maybe), and from the side it pretty much looked symmetric - if it wasn't for the mirrors you couldn't tell which way it was pointed! Like someone said, you timed 0-60 on that thing with a sundial! My son and I joke about making a "sleeper" out of such a car - oxidized mustard paint and all - and blowing the doors off of some guy in a 'vette or something... Then the other day I saw one all done up with racing stripes and all, wish to high Heaven I'd had a camera on me, I haven't see one for years.

But that is a seriously nice collection, may it provide hours of building enjoyment and may they all land safely on the field!
78691855-CA13-42B7-9560-062FC3C8EEB0.jpeg

Car I learned to drive in.

Stick shift.

One of the first cars with a seat belt alarm. Reeeeaaaaallllly annoying buzz, PLUS alarm stayed on AND if after you buckled in you unbuckled it went off AGAIN. all cars now should have this. Needless to say, it was so annoying that buckling up became automatic, even thought the transmission was manual.

My first indication was when I could no longer lay on the floor all day reading due to discomfort. The second was when I noticed most olympic athletes were younger than me. Somewhat later, the hair went ^_^

I think people don't really grow up till they have kids. Some don't even then. I never had kids, so I never grew up.
The first sign that I was growing old is when I pulled a muscle wiping my feet on a doormat.

I figured I was getting old the first time I got pulled over by a cop younger than me. It was around 1980.

Coupe 'deville, 68 green with the black soft top. Big old fins in the back and a six foot hood.......1601340339073.png

The day I asked my parents to stop paying my rent felt like a rite of passage. They were shocked and they never paid it again. I only felt older because I was obviously one of those "old people" now that I could support myself.

Now that I look back on it I wonder why I didn't milk that one more? Responsibility? Growing up? Or just stupidity? Maybe I could hit them up now? Hm.

When I was in the uniform was this:
1601420836038.png

I even had the photogrey glasses... all gone now.....stupid cameos...you're gonna hide on the ship which is grey looking like computer pixelated water.....

When I was in the uniform was this:
View attachment 433360

I even had the photogrey glasses... all gone now.....stupid cameos...you're gonna hide on the ship which is grey looking like computer pixelated water.....
Hadn't seen this so late response. You do realize that the brass is just looking out for you. If you were to go overboard the enemy won't be able to find you because you look like water. Oh, wait. 🤣

I suppose for me it was going grey on top. I have been using one of those products that gradually dyes the hair, but it has been recently discontinued due to lead content. I need to try a new product with bismuth citrate in it instead. Will try to find some this week. The lead acetate stuff (Grecian 2000, Restoria lotion) worked really well and as long as you washed your hands it was not absorbed. RoHS has a lot to answer for :mad:.

BTW, lead actetate is what the Romans used to sweeten their tea.

View attachment 432889

Car I learned to drive in.

Stick shift.

One of the first cars with a seat belt alarm. Reeeeaaaaallllly annoying buzz, PLUS alarm stayed on AND if after you buckled in you unbuckled it went off AGAIN. all cars now should have this. Needless to say, it was so annoying that buckling up became automatic, even thought the transmission was manual.
That is exaclty what my 510 was...1971 frog green. Replaced the stock wheels and cleaned up the interior. That car was great!

Back