Signs of youth passing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrScramJet

Reaction score
A sign of getting old is when you desire to build some scale model rockets that were very influential during your youth. Found my built Estes Mercury Redstone Freedom 7 as piloted by Alan B. Shepard on May 5, 1961. The model and paint held well for 30+ years in storage, however the Krylon gloss white yellowed even when store in darkness with low humidity. Convinces me that I should have clear glossed the finished model to protect the decals and integrity of the gloss white. Oh well.

Decided on completing my Saturn V that I started approximately 35 years ago. Actually watching these events on TV back then created a life long fascination with the Space Race. Many shows on TV actually capitalized on the Race such as My Favorite Martian, It's About Time, Lost in Space and Star Trek just to name a few.

I voted at Estes for the return of the Gemini Titan along with the Mercury Atlas models. I’d like to complete those rockets along with a Saturn 1B rocket. As I was searching for the Mercury Freedom 7 in the basement, this is what I found that I did not know I purchased over 30+ years ago:

Qe4Jgnu.jpg

Well, I am now convinced that my youth has slowly passed me, affecting not only physique but also memory. A sobering thought, yet at the same time somewhat exciting finding models that you don’t have to re-purchase. At the same time, what a wonderful American period to live through.

Some products from left to right:

NIB Cox Saturn 1B
NIB Cox Saturn V
My Estes Freedom 7 Redstone (built 1985)
NIB Estes Mercury Atlas
Estes Red Max (built 1980)
Estes Patriot (built 1980)
Centuri Saucer (built 1979)
Estes R2D2 (built 80’s)
Estes Tie Fighter (built 80’s)
Estes Saturn V (2001)
Estes Saturn V (started 1985)
Revell Lunar Module and Command Module
Estes Jupiter C
Estes Saturn 1B
Estes Saturn V (2057)

Nice collection :)
All my old stuff is long gone :(

I got that exact same TV unit LOL

If you were wanting to part ways with that Estes Phoenix, let me know.........😁

If you started your Saturn V 35 years ago, I did one 15 years before that. And I feel younger now than then. How old you feel is all just in your head dude:)
I totally agree on the age comment. I built the Estes K36 SV in 1972. Great rocket. Interchangeable single and 3 motor cluster. Even with the cluster it was a tad underpowered but it did fly and the scale of it was so impressive. Life intervened and my model rocketry days wained but as with so many others, I have returned to hobby. The SV is like a siren's call to me and so I found a NIB #2001 Estes kit on eBay and bought it. I tossed the Estes internal design and have built a far stronger rocket and resurrected the interchangeable motor core concept from the old K36 build. I have been at this for almost 3 years, but in fairness to me, health issues force the SV build to be sidelined for a couple of those years. I hope to have it ready for flight come spring.

david

Hi David, good luck with the flight. I also built another last year. Gutted it also, new lite ply CR's, MMT, Top Flight chute. She flies on 29mm G-74-6W.

I built the Estes K36 SV in 1972. Great rocket. Interchangeable single and 3 motor cluster. Even with the cluster it was a tad underpowered but it did fly and the scale of it was so impressive.
Is that a 3×18 mm cluster? Back in '72 you could have loaded it with B14s to get some kick off the pad. Today you'll have to settle for Q-Jet D16s. (C15s and D20s are coming, if not here.)

As for signs of youth passing, my parents' cars that I grew up riding in are now "classic cars" and my own first car sometimes gets a "what's that?" reaction because young folks don't know what a Datsun is.

... my own first car sometimes gets a "what's that?" reaction because young folks don't know what a Datsun is.

Ah, the Datsun. Now the 1600, 200B, Fairlady, 240Z, they were all very good cars.

Tell them Datsun was what Nissan's name was before it grew old and dreary, with the exception of the Skyline GTR... <insert flame war here> :p

Those 1600s just kept going. Wouldn't pull the skin of a rice custard though. We had friends with one that started to sound like it had a cracked piston. The engine was disassembled and three cracked pistons were found. Running on three cracked pistons is a good effort IMHO. It was rebuilt and gave no further trouble.

My best friend got his drivers license in a Datsun B210. It was kind of funny because he's 6'-3" and he just sort of folded himself into it. :)

My brother had a 240Z a million years ago. Manual choke, the old knob you pulled out from the dashboard! It had a burble man, and it took a bit to wind up. This one caught a bad end, I'm afraid. Brother was fine 👍

When I think of Datsun (besides their 240Z, awesome as noted), I think of a tiny sedan from 'way back (early 70's maybe), and from the side it pretty much looked symmetric - if it wasn't for the mirrors you couldn't tell which way it was pointed! Like someone said, you timed 0-60 on that thing with a sundial! My son and I joke about making a "sleeper" out of such a car - oxidized mustard paint and all - and blowing the doors off of some guy in a 'vette or something... Then the other day I saw one all done up with racing stripes and all, wish to high Heaven I'd had a camera on me, I haven't see one for years.

But that is a seriously nice collection, may it provide hours of building enjoyment and may they all land safely on the field!

Last edited:
Very nice bevy of kits, I certainly envy the Mercury-Atlas. I have experienced a different sign of youth passing. It is primarily exemplified by my inability to stay out of the bathroom for 90 minutes or more while attempting to sleep. Another sign can be the purchase of a mid-life crisis mobile, or obtaining a trophy wife. (brought to mind by the 240 Z discussion) I really can't afford either of those, so I just drive my '07 Pontiac Vibe real fast with a copy of Playboy in the front seat.

Jim

I tell people I drove an AMC Gremlin X (with Levi interior) after getting out of Hi-school in 1975 (It did have the thunder F@%k straight 6 in it) :rolleyes:

My moment of clarity on passing youth was the first time a pretty girl called me "Sir". Devastating.
Raised like I was 'Sir' and 'Mamm' were just a sign of respect, not about age. The military only reinforced that concept. The only problem with using Mamm today is its' origin. If the lady is reasonably well read she may object to that. :)

"signs of youth passing..."
A couple of years ago, I was sitting outside a restaurant after lunch, talking to the son of a friend. A woman ask the kid if I was his grandfather. I almost hit her with my cane (I'm about the same age as his father!). Now, several years later, and more than 65 pounds lighter, I would *hope* she would not say the same thing!

When I think of Datsun (besides their 240Z, awesome as noted), I think of a tiny sedan from 'way back (early 70's maybe), and from the side it pretty much looked symmetric - if it wasn't for the mirrors you couldn't tell which way it was pointed! Like someone said, you timed 0-60 on that thing with a sundial! My son and I joke about making a "sleeper" out of such a car - oxidized mustard paint and all - and blowing the doors off of some guy in a 'vette or something... The the other day I saw one all done up with racing stripes and all, wish to high Heaven I'd had a camera on me, I haven't see one for years.

But that is a seriously nice collection, may it provide hours of building enjoyment and may they all land safely on the field!

How about a 10 second street legal Datsun:

https://www.plasmaboyracing.com/history/2016.php
z162.jpg

I can't point to one single moment, but I sure have had fun with it. A kid in a restaurant gave me a senior discount without me asking (about 10 years ago!) and I told him, "Thanks, but I'm only 27!" He looked stunned and I said with great gravitas, "I've had one heckuva life!" And by then of course he'd figured out I was joking.

Mentioning 27, although in jest, puts something else in mind: youth has been passing for most of our lives. The moment I realized I was grown up was when I told my parents I was moving out of their house and into an apartment with my girlfriend. Not asked them, told them. And not like there was an argument, simply that I'd decided, that it was mine to decide, and indeed they had no problem with it. Childhood was well and truly over, which is also "youth passing".

Back