shutting down a solid rocket.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hell you could use any liquid fuil that will burn in it

Eh, no. No, you can't. Liquid propellant rocket engines are specifically designed to operate with one fuel mixture or another. Yes, there are various kinds of fuel/oxidizer combinations out there for various rockets, but you don't go putting cryogenic fuels in a hypergolic engine. You don't put diesel in your lawnmower, do you? What about ATF jet fuel in your car? No. An engine is DESIGNED to work with whatever fuel, and that is the fuel one uses for that. Mixing it up makes for at best a poorly performing engine, and at worst a disaster that causes injury or death.

Also, diagrams work better when the numbered parts are actually identified. I can't make head nor tail of that picture you posted.

Eh, no. No, you can't. Liquid propellant rocket engines are specifically designed to operate with one fuel mixture or another. Yes, there are various kinds of fuel/oxidizer combinations out there for various rockets, but you don't go putting cryogenic fuels in a hypergolic engine. You don't put diesel in your lawnmower, do you? What about ATF jet fuel in your car? No. An engine is DESIGNED to work with whatever fuel, and that is the fuel one uses for that. Mixing it up makes for at best a poorly performing engine, and at worst a disaster that causes injury or death.

Also, diagrams work better when the numbered parts are actually identified. I can't make head nor tail of that picture you posted.

says who rocket god ?

i was going to tell you about a rocket that makes 3000 h.p.,,,,, it weighs about 5 lbs...... and anyone can make one,,,,,

i have a rocket that has 15000 hp...... and it will run on anything including canadian club .

Attachments

• images (7).jpeg
    images (7).jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 43
  • images (4).jpeg
    images (4).jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 40
  • unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    285.7 KB · Views: 42
  • i924035.jpg
    i924035.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 42
says who rocket god ?

i was going to tell you about a rocket that makes 3000 h.p.,,,,, it weighs about 5 lbs...... and anyone can make one,,,,,

i have a rocket that has 15000 hp...... and it will run on anything including canadian club .

I look forward to you coming back with video after experimenting. I don't think success is likely, but if you try it I hope you survive.

"Rocket god"? Hardly. I know something about most everything, but I don't know everything about anything.

I'm sure you can get a lot of different types of engines to operate on slight variations of fuel. I don't doubt you know of an engine that CAN run on whiskey, but was it designed to? Not likely. It was probably meant for reagent grade alcohol, not bottom-shelf liquor that is 40% to 50% alcohol. But once again, you can't just throw ANYTHING flammable into an engine and expect it to work. As was earlier stated, the AQM-37 uses a hypergolic (That means the chemicals auto-ignite upon contact with each other) engine that runs on very dangerous chemicals like IRFNA. That engine doesn't even have the ignition systems to start an alcohol mixture because it's hypergolic! And then what about the fuel mix the mighty Saturn V used? RP-1 and LOX? That wouldn't work in the AQM-37 either because the engine isn't designed to pump the supercooled oxidizer.

Once again, all rocket engines and rocket motors (even for our hobby rockets) are designed SPECIFICALLY to function with whatever fuel they were designed to use for the application needed. A rocket engine isn't like a campfire where you can throw almost whatever you want into it and have it burn.

says who rocket god ?

Says anyone who knows the first thing about rocket engines, or engines of any kind, for that matter. You're setting yourself up for disaster with your cocky ignorance. I repeat that the Jayhawk is powered by hazardous hypergolic chemicals, namely hydrazine and red fuming nitric acid. These are not chemicals that you want anywhere near you unless you thoroughly understand how to handle them. The engine is also nitrogen pressure-fed and has no igniter, and therefore will ONLY work with these hazardous chemicals.

And yes, I have a degree in aerospace engineering and work in the space launch industry. However, it does not take a degree in aerospace engineering to understand why you can't just put "anything that will burn" into any engine you want.

BS.

Last edited:
However, it does not take a degree in aerospace engineering to understand why you can't just put "anything that will burn" into any engine you want.

@LARRY A ROSA
Case in point, I don't even have a degree! I went to college for only two years for electrical engineering! I am BY NO MEANS a rocketry expert. I'm more of a professional amateur, and even I am saying this idea of yours is misguided, ill-advised, dangerous, and breaks half the laws of physics that apply to rockets.

If you want to work with rocket powered cars, forget about the AQM-37 engine, get yourself one of these and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY AS STATED lest you or someone else gets hurt:
https://estesrockets.com/product/002503-blurzz-rocket-powered-dragster-green-mantis/

Says anyone who knows the first thing about rocket engines, or engines of any kind, for that matter. You're setting yourself up for disaster with your cocky ignorance. I repeat that the Jayhawk is powered by hazardous hypergolic chemicals, namely hydrazine and red fuming nitric acid. These are not chemicals that you want anywhere near you unless you thoroughly understand how to handle them. The engine is also nitrogen pressure-fed and has no igniter, and therefore will ONLY work with these hazardous chemicals.

And yes, I have a degree in aerospace engineering and work in the space launch industry. However, it does not take a degree in aerospace engineering to understand why you can't just put "anything that will burn" into any engine you want.

BS.

no aerospace engineering degree guy here.
if this said jaw system was used to "shut down" a solid rocket motor, wouldnt the result be over pressurization internally (because said jaw would only stop the flow of gasses in a rearward direction- not "shut down the motor) and a catastrophic disassembly of the motor with pieces of said motor following the path of least resistance?
in other words-wouldnt **** hit the fan??

tenor.gif

if this said jaw system was used to "shut down" a solid rocket motor, wouldnt the result be over pressurization internally (because said jaw would only stop the flow of gasses in a rearward direction- not "shut down the motor) and a catastrophic disassembly of the motor with pieces of said motor following the path of least resistance?

either that or just lose all of its pressure, when the 2 part hydraulic nozzle is open .....it is OPEN....... zero pressure from the fuel being burned.

Pardon me for saying so, but a couple of pages back you seemed to indicate that you intended to seal off the nozzle as the emergency shutdown system.

Now you're saying "no one is that $%#%" and that your hydraulic system will close the "all steel nozzle" which just a couple of days ago was

Add to that, your profile shows your birthday as being in 1956, so if:
then you mean to tell us that you owned a record-setting rocket car at the age of five years old?

Listen, I admire your spirit in wanting to tackle crazy engineering challenges and wanting to push the envelope of innovation, but there is a difference between audacious and delirious. I hate to say it, but you are a long way from possible or even sane with this project of yours. I can't tell if you're a troll getting a good laugh at our expense, a kid trying to sound smarter than he really is, or someone who should be very careful building anything at all, but in any case I wish you well. Be safe, don't endanger yourself or others with anything unproven or untested, and learn as much as you can about REAL ENGINEERING and DESIGNING before you even start drawing a rocket car.

yes 5 years old, i am related to howard hughes.

yes 5 years old, i am related to howard hughes.
And I'm related to Sir Robert the Bruce. That doesn't prove a thing! I have no business leading a revolt against an empire regardless who I'm related to. So what if you're related to Howard Hughes? That doesn't mean any of his aeronautical insight got passed down, nor does it mean you owned or had access to equipment that only a handful of people ever got to even see up close; especially at an age when you were likely too young to even cut your own food.o_O

This thread is ... a train wreck, I'm weak willed and have a hard time looking away.

Me too, buddy. Me too. I could probably use some of that cider of yours to dull my aching brain cells. :cheers:

45's uncle was a "2XPHD and a professor at MIT" and look what we got........

Only "STUPID" seems to be inherited.

This thread is an example of why I want an 'ignore thread' option in addition to an 'ignore person'.

It's a train wreck, I'm weak willed and have a hard time looking away.

Ignoring a person should make their threads invisible, at least it does for me.

i have a video on how to make fuming nitric acid.
cheep to make by the gallon, not to sure about hydrazine?

Attachments

• images (6).jpeg
    images (6).jpeg
    3.6 KB · Views: 26
  • images (5).jpeg
    images (5).jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 25
can`t wait to test the JAWS nozzle .....

Attachments

• francois-gissy.jpg
    francois-gissy.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 48
How about pictures of your stuff? You keep pulling pictures off the internet , show us your stuff . Are you "building/designing" a rocket car or rocket sled ? Every one of the pictures of all the rocket cars you pulled off google , all used motors bigger then what our hobby uses . Since you are "Related" , why are you asking about the cost of graphite ? The total cost of graphite will be less then 1 percent of 1 percent that you are going to spend on R&D and development . What type of material are you going to use for your wheels ? You mention the "track" is 6 miles long . It sounds to me like you are somebody who watched one to many Holloman test track videos .

ITS JAWS NOZZLE...... bound to make a million.

i am going to get a trade make for this one.

Use a hybrid?

As somebody else intimated, if you want zero forward thrust you might be able to change it to two nozzles in opposite directions. Net thrust would be zero, but the motor keeps burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back