Shrunken F52 grain

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is a pretty old reload. 29mm F52 Blue Thunder. The grain looks like it contracted over time, pinching the slot closed. In addition, the grain is also sloppy loose in the liner tube.

Safe to fly as is, or does it need some remediation? I was thinking to at least wrap some tape around the grain to tighten the fit in the liner tube.

20220227_160053.jpg
20220227_160126.jpg

I have flown a number of F39s that were similar to that. As long as you can pull the starter into the slot it will go. The grains don’t need to be tight in the liner.

I don't think tape is necessary, the O-Rings should still seal, but it won't hurt, as long as the igniter can still be inserted. If the igniter won't fit, a little sanding or filing of the slot will be ok, I've done this on a few old C-Slot reloads. That said, when I have an old White Lightning or Redline reload that's heavily oxidized or expanded, I'll only fly it in a saucer, I've seen them chuff right off the rail. Never had a problem flying old Blue Thunder motors.

Back