SHROX Stiletto

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTimm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
723
Reaction score
48
Just a pic of the Shrox Stiletto on the pad.

CTimm
 
Sweet , is that nosecone balsa ? Great finish , well done!
Karl
 
CTimm-

Nice finish! It looks great with the white control surfaces and intake. I didn't think of doing that on mine.

What have you launched it on? I burned my last Rocketvision E-15-4 in mine and whooo-weee! Did it move out! The unfortunate thing is that the ejection charge was enough to snap the shock cord out of the nose cone and parachute.
The cool thing is that the really rugged tubes and beefy basswood fins held up, even though it fell onto hardpack that was loaded with stones (and dog poop...)

Tied it back together and away we launched again!
 
The cone is plastic.
I gave the kit to a buddy for a birthday present, so the *finish* is all his doing.

Chris
 
I am finally getting back to this project and i have a few questions about the build.

1.) Is there a gauge or something that determines where the wings droop when installed? There doesn't seem to be any guide as to the angle.

2.) The spine fin in the photos and the spine fin in the kit are 2 diff sizes. When you actually cut out the fin it comes up short of theleading edge of the wings. Has anyone else seen this?

3.) I'm a little concerned with the canopy decal. I know it has to be cut but there is no allowence for the curve of the nose cone. So what looks like the cross over piece ends up getting "hacked" to prevent hangover. Any thoughts on this?
 
I had exactly the same issues with my stiletto. I solved them as such:

1: I used the front on view on the header card as a rough guide for angling the wings.

2: My spine ws short as well. After e-mailling Shrox, he said the template had been corrected in later production runs of the kit. I just left it short and blended it into the top of the wing.

3: I cut the canopy decal after I had applied it to make sure the alignment was perfect. I aligned the notched portion of the canopy with the seam between the NC and tube. This decal is really, in my opinion, the weakest part of the kit. All of the other decals have held up fine, but the canopy decal has gotten chipped badly, even though I clear coated it quite heavily. Great kit otherwise!
 
Originally posted by RocketmanTM
I had exactly the same issues with my stiletto. I solved them as such:

1: I used the front on view on the header card as a rough guide for angling the wings.

2: My spine ws short as well. After e-mailling Shrox, he said the template had been corrected in later production runs of the kit. I just left it short and blended it into the top of the wing.

3: I cut the canopy decal after I had applied it to make sure the alignment was perfect. I aligned the notched portion of the canopy with the seam between the NC and tube. This decal is really, in my opinion, the weakest part of the kit. All of the other decals have held up fine, but the canopy decal has gotten chipped badly, even though I clear coated it quite heavily. Great kit otherwise!

Thanks! I might make a scan of the decal before I start cutting it up.
 
Back
Top