SHROX Sea Sting Upscale for R/C rocket glide

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ken Foss posted a beautiful 2.6" upscale of the Shrox Sea Sting missile this morning on Facebook. I've been in a funk lately not wanting to build anything but this sort of lit a fire under me. I thought if I could upscale the wing and shorten the model slightly I could keep the cruise missile vibe and get it to glide okay. I took the rocksim file from apogee, imported it in open rocket, scaled it to 2.6 in and then tweaked all the weights and materials for what I'm using, and played with the wing and tail sizes till I got something I thought would work with a CG about where I thought I'd need it. Depron surfaces, 10.3 oz rtf with r/c gear for 24mm E-6 motors. Also shown Ken and his original upscale that served as my inspiration. Ken does his own graphics and he graciously offered to help do a modified set of text and tail/nose art to help me finish her off. Hopefully a maiden tomorrow. It won't glide very long but I didn't want to make the wing any larger since it would have lost the look/feel of the original model. All Vinyl trim, no paint.
I added some trim on the bottom of the scoop to help with road rash on landing as well as orientation when flying. Rail buttons are mounted offset on the scoop so they aren't in the way for landing.

IMG_20230123_185919909.jpgIMG_20230123_185853909.jpgIMG_20230123_143611869_HDR_2.jpgIMG_20230123_185910290.jpgIMG_20230123_143620034_HDR_2.jpgFB_IMG_1674435422498.jpg

Beautiful work Frank!

Just wondering, since I'm not an RC flier, would it be feasible to build this same rocket glider with an engine pod that would eject at apogee and in doing so the elevator would transition to a pre-determined glide position.

Would the wing loading be low enough without the engine pod that a satisfactory glide could be achieved?

Thank you for your reply!

Best regards,

Keith

Beautiful work Frank!

Just wondering, since I'm not an RC flier, would it be feasible to build this same rocket glider with an engine pod that would eject at apogee and in doing so the elevator would transition to a pre-determined glide position.

Would the wing loading be low enough without the engine pod that a satisfactory glide could be achieved?

Thank you for your reply!

Best regards,

Keith
You couldn't do that using the same construction and materials that I use because my foam Wing goes straight through the body and there's no place for a pod to fit up through the middle. If you have to use sturdier materials that butt glue to the body tube then it's going to be heavier of course it's possible to make something that functions the way you talk about whether or not you can make it light enough to have a decent hands-off glide is another question I can't answer.

You couldn't do that using the same construction and materials that I use because my foam Wing goes straight through the body and there's no place for a pod to fit up through the middle. If you have to use sturdier materials that butt glue to the body tube then it's going to be heavier of course it's possible to make something that functions the way you talk about whether or not you can make it light enough to have a decent hands-off glide is another question I can't answer.
Thank you for this feedback Frank. Looks like I may have to learn new R/C flying skills if I want to implement any of your incredible rocket glider designs.

Best regards,

Keith

Back