Showoff Your Other (Non-Rocket) Hobbies! *Eye Candy Please!*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aviation is my main passion, and my primary hobby is flying. In addition to building and flying rockets, I'm involved with RC aircraft and cars, plastic modeling, and balsa modeling (think Guillows). I also do woodworking, and single & dual line kite flying from time to time (I needed windy-weather hobbies for when the others were grounded!)

View attachment 514353
View attachment 514354
View attachment 514356View attachment 514355
View attachment 514357
View attachment 514358
From one with an almost identical 'hobby' list...

Nice Crib! That is really awesome!

As to the planes though... come on! ASEL??? Fly Twins! :) (Just kidding!!!)

Nice glass in N677AM though!) I remember several years ago when I did a Ferry flight for someone in a New 172 (As in new 40 <hours....ahhhh that new airplane smell!) Everything was glass and I had to spend some time figuring everythng out!

Keep the Shiny side up and Fly Safe!

I was wondering who made that size of Mars Lander.? That is one of the possible kits that I would like to put together but I just don't want the real small one. I went to the Tango Papa site that was advertised in Sport Rocketry magazine a few years ago, but it's not mentioned anywhere that I could find. it was a 1.6X version. What scale is yours?

It's the original Estes kit I cloned. The original size. The Semroc ML is Identical to the original, except for the decals.
Carl did a great job bringing the kit to market.

I have to say I'm a fan of the rubber bumper MGB. A lot of cars were destroyed looks wise by 5 MPH bumpers but they effectively modernised the, by then, dated B and BGT front end.

YMMV.

I agree, I really like the rubber bumper cars, the older chrome bumpers look cool, but are very 1960's. Not a bad thing, but the rubber bumpers do look nice.

I am about 70-30 these days for time spent on RC aircraft vs rocketry.

A long time desire was recently granted when a RC MiG-25 model was finally offered for sale. Have been fascinated by the Foxbat ever since reading Mig Pilot many years ago. Twin 64mm EDFs on a 6 cell 4000 lipo. An excellent flyer.FFFC8AE5-0081-4EC0-AC17-670A7DCF219E.jpeg

Last edited:
Found some more pictures. Theses are pre-health loss hobbies:
Muscle Cars-1969 SS 396 matching numbers el Camino
dk9frDM.jpg

Sport-Touring w/ 1993 Honda VFR
iIdMWWY.jpg

RxNRtv0.jpg

Bluegill fishing with Fly Rods
by1m6W3.jpg

Pipe Smoking- my prized Aaron Beck Freehand
rnsEdfX.jpg

Turntables
S3i9Cpy.jpg
Love the El Camino…..i had a 69 Malibu 350 El Camino…..great muscle cars.

From one with an almost identical 'hobby' list...

Nice Crib! That is really awesome!

As to the planes though... come on! ASEL??? Fly Twins! :) (Just kidding!!!)

Nice glass in N677AM though!) I remember several years ago when I did a Ferry flight for someone in a New 172 (As in new 40 <hours....ahhhh that new airplane smell!) Everything was glass and I had to spend some time figuring everythng out!

Keep the Shiny side up and Fly Safe!

Ha, thanks! Twins are way too rich for me, but I can at least get a few hours a month in for ASEL. I'm aiming to get my instrument and commercial ratings, fly some aerobatics, and hopefully build an RV one day! Re: the G1000, it's pretty nice, but being a millenial, I actually tend to prefer the six-pack + touch screen GTN-750 that it's the 172! 😄 See you in the skies!

wow what a setup I've always wanted to experience that.
Yea - built this during Covid.
Got a little caught up in it and perhaps overdid it a bit.
Pretty awesome setup - Fanatec DD2; F1 and Porsche wheels; HE Sprint Pedals; 49-inch G9 1000R monitor; Butt-kickers in each corner (feel the kerbs); 5.1 sound; wind-sim; shifter, hand-brake, button-box, etc.... All loaded on a Simlabs P1-X chassis.

Pushing sub 6-minutes laps of the Nordschleife in the Protech P91 is the bomb!
Makes you realize how focused race drivers have to be - one slight distraction and you're in the wall.

Last edited:
I'm constantly amazed by the talents I see here on TRF and I'm sure there's a lot of other talents not being shown. My eyes are crying for more, so I'm starting a thread to showcase/showoff your other hobbies. Custom cars? Doodles? Crochet? Macaroni necklaces? Whatever it is, here's a good spot to show off for everyone's pleasure! :)

One of my former passions (currently taking a back seat to rocketry)...custom R/C car building...

A Customized Chevy engine model I made for a "50th Anniversary Clodbuster" build called "Gold Digger". This Youtube video has 1.3M hits (seems you get a million hits just by adding beer to a video):
[video=youtube;CiEux1N31vg]

Here's the "Gold Digger" which had the above model engine installed - A working Monster Puller with a lot of custom parts including a etched gold colored plaque and has a full metal gear train...model engine was also made to shake as it speeds up and synced with the speed control. Won RCCA (RC Car Action) Ride of the Month and was 2nd or 3rd place for 2007 Ride of the year (Rock crawlers were big that year).

file.php

Another RC vehicle I designed and created...Full Metal Maxx/"Gorilla Warfare"...my own designed tank tracks and ended up about 95% metal (including the body, tracks and sprockets) and has a titanium tranny and brushless motor. Seems a major RC car parts company may have copied the track design a few years later since their product looks similar. My vehicle made it to 2008 RCCA Ride of the Month, but don't recall if it was a finalist for the year.

G10022-1.jpg

GWS024.jpg

I really enjoyed the end results and most of the build; however custom projects like these become all-consuming and I found myself thinking almost 24/7 about a bumper or how to make something work for over a year. Not for those who are not strong-willed.

Come on people, let's see whatcha got! :)

BTW - I also started this thread since I misunderstood the topic of another "show off your hobby" thread and already wrote about my other hobby, so why waste all that time I spent on a nice post? 😉

I was bummed that the original photos of my Clodbuster build in Post #1 got lost, but I found some recently, so here they are!

1000016412.jpg
1000016414.jpg
1000016418.jpg
1000016420.jpg
1000016416.jpg

Back