Showoff Your Other (Non-Rocket) Hobbies! *Eye Candy Please!*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one on my thumbnail? Thats a .14 flea, a 32 acp necked down to a .14 cal, shot from a 10" contender.

The big round, i cant remember the model number but i think was fired from a bushmaster and i believe was a 20 or 25mm . There is a cap that should go over the penetrator tip but i dont have it..

It looks like a round from the bushmaster but I don’t remember ever seeing sabot rounds for it. Then again I was a dismount or light my entire career. I’ll ask my uncle. He’s a Master Gunner.

Sorry to revive a Thread from the Dead, but wanted to post some of my recent hobbies since I've been away and also curious what others have been up to. :)

Picked up a 2005 Mazdaspeed Miata back in November of last year. It's a rarity since it's the only factory turbo Miata ever made and was only built in 2004-2005 before a major fire at the factory burned it completely down and they decided to build the next generation Miata after that. This is a pleasure to drive and I've done some mods, but nothing really major so far other than install a roll bar (because I like my head!) and new wheels.

1633660473479.png

1633660363767.png

I also already had a 2012 NC Miata (the generation that followed the NB generation above) and started building my dream car to autocross & track....however some of that has been quite a nightmare and it was 6 months behind where I wanted it to be by the time I got it from the shop (was in for a larger 2.5L engine swap and turbo install). Have had major tuning issues since (on 20+ tunes so far), but recently it's been pretty good and can be a bit "beastly" when needed. :p

1633660833800.png
1633660768124.png1633660713579.png

I've already had to replace the clutch (did it myself since I've lost my job this year :p ) on the $500+ clutch the mechanic strongly recommended and I later found out there were reports of it self-destructing (note I've never burned a clutch out even on a 2002 WRX driven over 150K on stock clutch)....and it self-destructed on a track after I drove 2.5 hours to get there and paid for an instructor...also had to pay to get it towed home. Ugh. Regardless, it's been really good lately and I get a lot of compliments.

Funny thing is women passing by in public often tell me they love the red car and men often tell me they love the blue car. :)

Also to balance out the above "speed", I also recently took up paper modelling...it's big in Europe where plastic models aren't widely available and quite an incredible art. The things they build from a few pages of printed paper are just astounding!

Here's some examples of a build I got from a free download....it's a diorama of the WW2 Akagi aircraft carrier and one of the Zeros (for the record, I'm a big fan of the "Big E" US carrier that sank the Akagi, but there weren't any free downloads of the same ;) )...

Here's the tip of the plane's propeller spinner 🤣

1633662789731.jpeg

The plane itself!

1633662777598.jpeg

The plane on the bridge!

1633662755968.jpeg

I've found it very therapeutic for the arthritis that has suddenly hit me hard this year.

If anyone wants to try, here's a site with some cool free paper space models (may be on the simpler end):
https://creativepark.canon/en/categories/CAT-ST01-5591/index.html
1633662469444.png

Here's another with more free paper rocket models (I haven't built any of these yet):
http://papermodelingman.com/gallery_models.html

Last edited:
I also already had a 2012 NC Miata (the generation that followed the NB generation above) and started building my dream car to autocross & track....however some of that has been quite a nightmare and it was 6 months behind where I wanted it to be by the time I got it from the shop (was in for a larger 2.5L engine swap and turbo install). Have had major tuning issues since (on 20+ tunes so far), but recently it's been pretty good and can be a bit "beastly" when needed. :p

View attachment 484819
View attachment 484818View attachment 484817

I've already had to replace the clutch (did it myself since I've lost my job this year :p ) on the $500+ clutch the mechanic strongly recommended and I later found out there were reports of it self-destructing (note I've never burned a clutch out even on a 2002 WRX driven over 150K on stock clutch)....and it self-destructed on a track after I drove 2.5 hours to get there and paid for an instructor...also had to pay to get it towed home. Ugh. Regardless, it's been really good lately and I get a lot of compliments.

Just an update on this...I didn't note it, but my goal for this year (from last year) was to make the Top 30 fastest at Lime Rock Park Summer Series Autocross and I was building the blue Miata towards that. It ended up being a much more difficult challenge because the mechanic who was doing the engine swap and turbo kit delivered it 6 months later than originally planned and it still had significant tuning issues. By the time I was able to get the car running fairly decently (85% there?), I was only able to drive the car once on the LRP Autocross before time was up and guess what?

I made it! LOL

1635356262856.png

I was #27 and that was no small feat due to the heavy competition including Vipers, Porsches and M3s (as well as some other exotics):
2021 Autocross Standings Full Course.pdf (limerock.com)

I beat more than half of the Vipers with my Miata! 😄

BTW - I wasn't able to attend the Shootout because I was away on vacation cruising, but I plan to be there next year! 🤞

My daughter and I will do a little bit of kit flying on the windy days. But when the wind clears up the sky, its stargazing time for us

Attachments

• 2E09B8BC-A7EA-4D21-89A3-EB30EAB35BF4.png
    2E09B8BC-A7EA-4D21-89A3-EB30EAB35BF4.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 9A045ED2-9022-4490-81D3-65B59E4AD48F.png
    9A045ED2-9022-4490-81D3-65B59E4AD48F.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7779.MOV
    6 MB
  • 091B4C84-D86E-4E84-9721-FF52F672E4F6.jpeg
    091B4C84-D86E-4E84-9721-FF52F672E4F6.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 54F4BA31-5664-449E-90C9-6C70745BB729.png
    54F4BA31-5664-449E-90C9-6C70745BB729.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 79C62192-C412-4167-907F-E11064EBDE20.png
    79C62192-C412-4167-907F-E11064EBDE20.png
    264.7 KB · Views: 23
I have been collecting a specific style of knife for some years now:

Knives.jpg

The four on the left are OTF (out the front) sometimes called "stilleto" though that more commonly describes a style of blade (I think). The rest are the more common side-opening. Most of these are fairly cheap ($30-90) and only fair quality, except for two. At the far right is an 11" Pro-Tech "Large Don" ($500), and the far left is my current Gibbs-Rule-#9 ("Always carry a knife"), a Microtech "Ultratech", $300. Just four ounces, so it's not a drag in the pocket. I used to carry the Pro-Tech but unlike most side-openers it has no safety (you can see the safety on most of these, below the go-button; it slides up and jams the button from underneath). The button on the Pro-Tech is recessed enough that it's hard to press it accidentally...but it has happened. :( I was lucky not to cut myself reaching into my pocket.

OTF knives don't need a safety, they have a double spring system. It takes some effort to slide the switch either way, to open or close. And the idea that you can hold an OTF against a bad guy, slide the switch, and the guy is dead...is a fiction. Hold the Microtech against a sheet of paper and the blade goes about halfway through; the blade doesn't even come completely out of the handle.

Most of these were bought at flea markets and the like, but you can mail-order from a number of companies. The 13" on the right and the 11" blue OTF on the left came from here.

Last edited:
The button on the Pro-Tech is recessed enough that it's hard to press it accidentally...but it has happened. :( I was lucky not to cut myself reaching into my pocket.
o_O

Very cool knives! I like!

Side story:
Back when I was a teen, my friends and I all had knives as a side amusement, especially butterfly knives, (good guys...never used in anger/etc.). Mine was very sharp and seemed to always cut the users...I usually warned whoever used it that it was very sharp and "wants blood" lol. I don't think anyone ever escaped it's bite.

One friend (Friend #1) didn't take my now standard warning seriously enough and was trying it out in the bathroom of a public place and cut himself badly. I was there along with Friend #2 and I said "we should stop the bleeding ASAP!"; however Friend #2 said "no, we need to wash out the wound to prevent infection" and started washing Friend #1's hand under running water. As I kept arguing with Friend #2 at the sink that we should stop the bleeding, Friend #1 suddenly stood up, eyes rolled back, and fainted. I guess I was right!

Funnier aftermath is that Friend #1 had to be taken out of the public bathroom in a wheelchair (he also konked his head when he fell back) and we had to file a report on what happened...we said he cut himself on the toilet paper roller. Friend #1 did NOT like that, but had to accept lacking any better reason. Friend #1's story spread through our HS quickly. 😄

Lesson: Knives are often sharp and dangerous...respect them and practice due care when handling. Also if you're bleeding...try to stop the bleeding. ;)

o_O

Very cool knives! I like!

Side story:
Back when I was a teen, my friends and I all had knives as a side amusement, especially butterfly knives, (good guys...never used in anger/etc.). Mine was very sharp and seemed to always cut the users...I usually warned whoever used it that it was very sharp and "wants blood" lol. I don't think anyone ever escaped it's bite.

One friend (Friend #1) didn't take my now standard warning seriously enough and was trying it out in the bathroom of a public place and cut himself badly. I was there along with Friend #2 and I said "we should stop the bleeding ASAP!"; however Friend #2 said "no, we need to wash out the wound to prevent infection" and started washing Friend #1's hand under running water. As I kept arguing with Friend #2 at the sink that we should stop the bleeding, Friend #1 suddenly stood up, eyes rolled back, and fainted. I guess I was right!

Funnier aftermath is that Friend #1 had to be taken out of the public bathroom in a wheelchair (he also konked his head when he fell back) and we had to file a report on what happened...we said he cut himself on the toilet paper roller. Friend #1 did NOT like that, but had to accept lacking any better reason. Friend #1's story spread through our HS quickly. 😄

Lesson: Knives are often sharp and dangerous...respect them and practice due care when handling. Also if you're bleeding...try to stop the bleeding. ;)
I'm pretty sure butterfly knives are like nunchuks--far, far more likely to cause injury to the user than anyone the user might wish to harm.

FYI: those are illegal in Canada. The Canadian law state no knife can have an 'automatically opening' blade. And yes, that also include Balisongs / Butterfly knives: if you hold the tang, the blade can fall open, therefore 'automatically'..

But, nice collection either way! :D

I started plastic model building when I was around 8 years old back in the early '60s. I built them until I was about 14/15 but then developed a big interest in the space program and Apollo and found model rocketry. While I never gave up building plastic models, after all there was the plastic model competition event which I built a few for, I mainly did rockets until about 14 years ago when my congenital neuropathy made walking fields difficult if not impossible. Then I returned to plastic models and have built 200+ since. I do geeky subject mainly, scifi, classic horror, fantasy cars, and real space. Here are some pics of my best builds. I've won numerous awards at contests around Florida and at Wonderfest in Louisville, KY.

Attachments

• RJL Small 2001 Discovery (3).JPG
    RJL Small 2001 Discovery (3).JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 30
  • PL Big TOS Entperprise (2).JPG
    PL Big TOS Entperprise (2).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 32
  • RJK Bandai PG MF (3) C.jpg
    RJK Bandai PG MF (3) C.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 30
  • My Model Shelves (2).JPG
    My Model Shelves (2).JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 31
  • My Model Shelves (4).JPG
    My Model Shelves (4).JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Big Daddy Monsters.JPG
    Big Daddy Monsters.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 28
  • All SS .JPG
    All SS .JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 28
  • RJK Bonanza Cartwrights 2.JPG
    RJK Bonanza Cartwrights 2.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 27
  • RJK Moebius Joker (6).JPG
    RJK Moebius Joker (6).JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 27
I started plastic model building when I was around 8 years old back in the early '60s. I built them until I was about 14/15 but then developed a big interest in the space program and Apollo and found model rocketry. While I never gave up building plastic models, after all there was the plastic model competition event which I built a few for, I mainly did rockets until about 14 years ago when my congenital neuropathy made walking fields difficult if not impossible. Then I returned to plastic models and have built 200+ since. I do geeky subject mainly, scifi, classic horror, fantasy cars, and real space. Here are some pics of my best builds. I've won numerous awards at contests around Florida and at Wonderfest in Louisville, KY.
Amazing works!
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

I've also built models in the past, but it's been decades since I've really done such. Back then I'd be cross-eyed for hours on end making the details perfect! o_O 😋
Here's some pics of one of my better pieces...not the best pics, but I took them recently to show a friend. Some parts may be broken from age...
1635521818138.png
1635521869222.png

The four on the left are OTF (out the front) sometimes called "stilleto"
My understanding is that a "Stiletto" is a thin narrow blade that comes to a fine point and is sharp for the full length on both edges.
Specifically designed for stabbing much like a dagger or dirk. As these kinds of knives had no practical use beyond that they were illegal to own or carry.

Switchblades used to be illegal in the U.S. though some states allowed them to be owned and used by people with only one hand.

My understanding is that a "Stiletto" is a thin narrow blade that comes to a fine point and is sharp for the full length on both edges.
Specifically designed for stabbing much like a dagger or dirk. As these kinds of knives had no practical use beyond that they were illegal to own or carry.

Switchblades used to be illegal in the U.S. though some states allowed them to be owned and used by people with only one hand.
The term seems to be used several different ways. A lot of the side-opening Italian switchblades are referred to as stiletto, and a double edged blade would be a distinct hazard in such, since one side of the blade isn't covered by the handle.

Switchblades were originally banned in the 50s in order to cut back on gangs and gang wars. So the gangs switched to guns. :oops: Good job, politicians...

Several years ago I was directing a production of "Twelve Angry Men". The play includes a scene in which one of the characters stabs a switchblade knife into a tabletop. After spending some time trying to figure out an alternate way of doing this, I decided the only realistic approach was just to do it for real; after all, my cast was all grownups so I ought to be able to just warn them about the sharpness of the knife. It was less than five minutes before the actor who would be handling doing it on stage managed to cut himself playing with it.

My "genetically diverse" rescue, Daddy's Little Buddy RE OAP OJP OFP. The letters after his name are his titles:
RE: Rally Excellent
OAP: Open Agility Preferred (the standard sort of "agility')
OJP: Open Jumpers With Weaves Preferred (agility, but only jumps, tunnels, and weave poles on the course)
OFP: Open FAST Preferred (all the equipment is out there, but you choose which things you want the dog to do. Each obstacle has a point value, and you need to accumulate a minimum number of points).
For all the agility titles, "Preferred" means he runs at a lower jump height than his size would otherwise require. He would run with 24" inch jumps if he was at standard height; in preferred he runs at 20". I've seen dogs injured running full height, and this is all supposed to be for fun.
ribbons-2021-10-08.jpg
The photo was after the trial a few weeks ago where he finished his OJP and OFP titles. On to Excellent!

He's also a dedicated rocket dog. Here he's supervising the NMSU Spaceport America Cup team launching some rockets last weekend.
rocket-prep-2021-10-23.jpg

Last edited:
Hobby just before discovering rockets was collecting & modifying Nerf blasters. I guess maybe my hobby is 3D design and printing and all these hobbies are just excuses to do more of that. Here is a 3D printed shell for a Swarmpistol. Originally a much larger blaster that was turned into a hand blaster (also got a LiPo battery and Mosfet switch to up the rate of fire and speed of darts).

1635533835358.jpeg

What this originally looked like:
1635533948196.png
As you can see the internals are quite small (just the white part and front orange cylinder):
1635533973088.png

My "genetically diverse" rescue, Daddy's Little Buddy RE OAP OJP OFP. The letters after his name are his titles:
RE: Rally Excellent
OAP: Open Agility Preferred (the standard sort of "agility')
OJP: Open Jumpers With Weaves Preferred (agility, but only jumps, tunnels, and weave poles on the course)
OFP: Open FAST Preferred (all the equipment is out there, but you choose which things you want the dog to do. Each obstacle has a point value, and you need to accumulate a minimum number of points).
For all the agility titles, "Preferred" means he runs at a lower jump height than his size would otherwise require. He would run with 24" inch jumps if he was at standard height; in preferred he runs at 20". I've seen dogs injured running full height, and this is all supposed to be for fun.
View attachment 487819
The photo was after the trial a few weeks ago where he finished his OJP and OFP titles. On to Excellent!

He's also a dedicated rocket dog. Here he's supervising the NMSU Spaceport America Cup team launching some rockets last weekend.
View attachment 487820
Doggo! :wos_love:

Question though...does the sound of the rocket launches bother him at all? I know fireworks bother a lot of dogs, but I wondered about our rockets since it doesn't have the same report/pop/explosive sound.

I really need more time in a day.

Attachments

• for sale items 002.JPG
    for sale items 002.JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 16
  • falcon 120 004.JPG
    falcon 120 004.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 16
  • dogs 006.JPG
    dogs 006.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 15
  • NE turkey trip 2013 038.JPG
    NE turkey trip 2013 038.JPG
    435.1 KB · Views: 15
  • dads bears 2013 005.JPG
    dads bears 2013 005.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 15
  • dads bears 2013 064.JPG
    dads bears 2013 064.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 14
  • turkey 2014 069.JPG
    turkey 2014 069.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 16
  • TF P-47 Pengie III  #2 008.JPG
    TF P-47 Pengie III #2 008.JPG
    354.2 KB · Views: 18
  • d_schwantz.jpg
    d_schwantz.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1828.JPG
    IMG_1828.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 17
Question though...does the sound of the rocket launches bother him at all? I know fireworks bother a lot of dogs, but I wondered about our rockets since it doesn't have the same report/pop/explosive sound.
Our current two dogs (our other dog is my wife's purebred Aussie who actually has more advanced Agility titles than Buddy) are the first we've had that haven't been bothered by fireworks and rockets. My last Golden Retriever was so terrified I simply couldn't take her to a launch, and had to drug her semi-conscious on the 4th of July. These two love them. I don't know what the difference is.

Long distance motorcycle riding

Attachments

• A36DE9F3-74B3-483A-9388-A776A8789F3C.jpeg
    A36DE9F3-74B3-483A-9388-A776A8789F3C.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 512E43AD-6F80-4F2C-BC2B-71306A11E29C.jpeg
    512E43AD-6F80-4F2C-BC2B-71306A11E29C.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 4CFD370C-2756-42C9-82CE-5BB52AC46351.jpeg
    4CFD370C-2756-42C9-82CE-5BB52AC46351.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 5
Back