Show us your paint job!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyk

Reaction score
Do you not paint your rockets in the "default" paint scheme but think of something unique? Well, show off the paint shop! Here are my three latest, all with paint jobs not as on the package.

IMG_0595.jpg

Cool paint jobs, Jimmy! What methods do you use-airbrush, rattlecans, etc?
-Kevin

Nice.... How did you do that LOL

Ok heres my latest.

Done with two part automotive paint and a detail gun. I used to rattle can everything, but by the time I bought 2 or 3 cans it costs the same as automotive and the results were so so..

finished2.jpg

finished22.jpg

finished1.jpg

Of course a few vinyl decals always make them look better.

Here are 3 of mine, the first one is an Aerotech Sumo, 2nd is a Giant Leap Talon 3, 3rd is a scratch build I call "Running With Scissors."

All of the finishes are 100% paint.

Midwest Power 7 001 FS.jpg

Midwest Power 7 011.jpg

Picture 187.jpg

Those are some nice looking rockets guys! That Aries SST is incredible, Mark.:eyepop: Here are a few of my not on the box paint schemes. Ted

kids and rockets 050.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

Here are 3 of mine, the first one is an Aerotech Sumo, 2nd is a Giant Leap Talon 3, 3rd is a scratch build I call "Running With Scissors."

All of the finishes are 100% paint.

Great finishes! If you don't mind me asking, how did you mask off the flames on your talon? Those are some crisp lines!

I don't think you will find too many more "unique" than this. Ultimate Endeavor....... Return of the Mummy

All done painstakingly by hand. The artist....my sister " Krazy Kathy"

100_2968.jpg

100_2971.jpg

100_2972.jpg

100_2986.jpg

100_3208.jpg

Blackjack that is way cool :cheers:

Estes Wizard with a rather unique paint scheme... one of fmy first rockets, and I still love the paint scheme.

Svetlana - 29mm Big Daddy. I dislike the strange paint scheme and decals-that-only-go-on-two-fins of the stock kit, so instead it gets blended and sharp angular lines. It'll eventually get a drawing of Svetlana herself; Svetlana being my girlfriend's alter ego in a long-running inside joke.

Buckeye IV - LOC Precision Viper IV. Painted flat grey, then the red stripes and lettering were all masked and spray-painted in one coat. Labor intensive but the end result is pretty cool.

I personally use green 'frog' tape. It seeems to maks better for me than the blue or tan stuff.

Wizard.jpg

Svetlana.jpg

Buckeye IV.jpg

Jim, that's some fine art! I would hate to ever fly that one!

Great finishes! If you don't mind me asking, how did you mask off the flames on your talon? Those are some crisp lines!

Thanks!

The flames were done with vinyl masks and Creatix pearl paints.

I got the masks from Graphics n Stuff, but I'd reccomend getting them from Stickershock if you do it. The Stickershock masks conform to the tube better, leaving crisper lines.

Thanks!

The flames were done with vinyl masks and Creatix pearl paints.

I got the masks from Graphics n Stuff, but I'd reccomend getting them from Stickershock if you do it. The Stickershock masks conform to the tube better, leaving crisper lines.
Nice. Createx paints work fantastic. and they are fairly inexpensive.

The pearl blue worked great, it only needed two or three coats to make it look great. The white had some problems though, because it is translucent, but it turned out nice in the end.

Those are some nice looking rockets guys! That Aries SST is incredible, Mark.:eyepop: Here are a few of my not on the box paint schemes. Ted

There are a BUNCH of awesome paint jobs here. Honestly I can't paint very well. I do one color and then decals (thanks by the way) but I can't do stuff like his expediter or running with scissors... thats some skill there!

I don't think you will find too many more "unique" than this. Ultimate Endeavor....... Return of the Mummy

All done painstakingly by hand. The artist....my sister " Krazy Kathy"

Woa... Thats sweet.

Here's a couple more.level 2 006 (2).jpg

level 2 011 (2).jpg

Intercepter details nose.jpg

Intercepter details.jpg

The SIDEWINDER & wife's TALON4 each got help from STICKERSHOCK also.

Mike

this is a great thread - look forward to m ore - very inspiring.

I;ve done some custom paint in the past, during my first run at HPR obsessiveness ( never left the hobby, just went retro the last few years, which means catalog paint jobs :D ) .

one thing I miss is doing custom paint, might have to try a few more.

looked but no photos on this computer, might have to scan a few, or paint new ones.

keep em coming. :)

Nice.... How did you do that LOL

Ok heres my latest.

Done with two part automotive paint and a detail gun. I used to rattle can everything, but by the time I bought 2 or 3 cans it costs the same as automotive and the results were so so..

finished2.jpg

finished22.jpg

finished1.jpg

Of course a few vinyl decals always make them look better.

Sweet!!! Good, now I'm not the only one with a big winged, draggy rocket. That turned out really nice, Mark.

Sweet!!! Good, now I'm not the only one with a big winged, draggy rocket. That turned out really nice, Mark.

What do you mean draggy? That thing is sleek LOL

Draggy is good, I wanna keep it slow, and exciting!

We need to dragrace, this vs Manta bomber.. :D

It's to look like battle damage. It was done with redish-brown paint in an airbrush & a silver Sharpe.
Mike

Thanks, I spent a lot of time on this "E" version since the original was my favorite when I was a kid. Or should I say when I was younger, since I have never truly grown out of being a kid.

Mike

The pearl blue worked great, it only needed two or three coats to make it look great. The white had some problems though, because it is translucent, but it turned out nice in the end.

Thanks for the info! I'm glad to hear the createx pearl white is translucent. Should make the ghost flame process a lot easier.

I'll post what I'm talking about when it's done :D

What did you use to apply them? All I have is my airbrush, I don't want to have to cover the airframe with that.

Back