Show Us Your MASKS . . . Coronavirus Protection !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
Show Us Your MASKS . . . Coronavirus Protection !

My wonderful wife makes these masks. They have 3 layers of 100% Cotton with an internal "Filter Pocket", containing a removable Terry Cloth filter element.

There is a form-able Wire, across the Bridge of the Nose, that extends the full width of the mask . . . This provides excellent adjustability to achieve a close-fitting seal, good enough that eyeglasses or sunglasses do not "fog up" from exhalation.

I hated it, at first, but quickly got used to it . . .

There is one additional benefit to masks like these . . . They TOTALLY "Screw Up" Facial Recognition Systems, particularly when worn with reflective sunglasses and a cap !
( No, I don't go around in public, wearing the NAR helmet - LOL ! )

SHOW US YOUR MASKS !

Dave F.

COVID MASK -05 - CROP.jpg

NateB

Reaction score
3m N95 with a helmet and visor. The straps slip down when I put the helmet on and I need to be fit tested with this combination.

PSX_20200420_170915.jpg

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
I like it.
Chuck,

The mask extends under the chin, all the way to the Throat.

Shoot me an email and I will send you one, Gratis, Chuck . . .

( NOTE : This is NOT an "open invitation" on the Forum . . . They would normally cost $8.50 each / 2 for $ 15.00 . . . Plus Shipping ! )

Ez2cDave@aol.com

Dave F.

Last edited:

boatgeek

Reaction score
Like Nathan, I've been spending way more time on masks than rocketry. This is 26 masks for a local crafter's group that's making them for donation, plus one black sheep from another batch that my wife made.
IMG_2617.JPG

And this is our batch of "tactical masks" from when the crafter's group got a donation of canvas.

IMG_2580.JPGIMG_2581.JPG

We're well over 100 masks out the door now, a few for friends and family but most for donation. We have it down to a science so we can make them in about half an hour each in production or about 45 minutes each by onesie-twosies.

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
Like Nathan, I've been spending way more time on masks than rocketry. This is 26 masks for a local crafter's group that's making them for donation, plus one black sheep from another batch that my wife made.

And this is our batch of "tactical masks" from when the crafter's group got a donation of canvas.

We're well over 100 masks out the door now, a few for friends and family but most for donation. We have it down to a science so we can make them in about half an hour each in production or about 45 minutes each by onesie-twosies.
Looking good . . . Great work !

Dave F.

boatgeek

Reaction score
Looking good . . . Great work !

Dave F.
This is a case where old American iron is the stuff. I run a ~1965 Kenmore sewing machine that is the absolute bomb. No plastic anywhere except the dials, no electronics, just a lot of steel, inertia, cams, and oiling points.

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
This is a case where old American iron is the stuff. I run a ~1965 Kenmore sewing machine that is the absolute bomb. No plastic anywhere except the dials, no electronics, just a lot of steel, inertia, cams, and oiling points.

Nothing wrong with "Old School" . . .

Back in the Day, things were built to last, unlike the "throwaway society" we have become and the "Scratch-Builders" we used to be ! ( 3-D printing, while "cool", is not "building" )

Dave F.

boatgeek

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with "Old School" . . .

Back in the Day, things were built to last, unlike the "throwaway society" we have become and the "Scratch-Builders" we used to be ! ( 3-D printing, while "cool", is not "building" )

Dave F.
My mom bought the machine when she went to college so that she could make clothes that were in fashion on a budget, and then used it for the rest of her life. My dad just told me that it had a 30-year warranty when new, so it's done nicely! I remember a few times in the early 90's when she'd take a few yards of fabric into the sewing room and come out 2 hours later with a dress. Some of the fabric we've used for the masks was from her stash, so we're coming full circle.

Whether 3-D printing is building is a little too thread-jack for even me...

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
Whether 3-D printing is building is a little too thread-jack for even me...
News Flash . . . It's MY thread - LOL !

Any portion of model construction, that it not achieved through the manual labor of the Modeler, is not true "building" . . . Rather, it is "assembling", at best.

Anyway, back to "Masks". like this Cat in China !

Dave F.

CORONA CAT.jpg

Last edited:

NateB

Reaction score
I'm glad you guys are able to make so many masks for other people. It is a huge help for the people who can't get a real mask, find the materials, or sew.

boatgeek

Reaction score
I'm glad you guys are able to make so many masks for other people. It is a huge help for the people who can't get a real mask, find the materials, or sew.
I’m just a small cog. The crafters group has over 1500 members and has turned out well over 10,000 masks, probably close to 15K by now. Most have gone to medical staff at hospitals or elder care facilities but some also go to homeless shelters and other social services groups.

boatgeek

Reaction score
Another 25 masks out the door today, headed to either the Seattle VA or the International Rescue Committee. The crafter's group I'm working with has turned out over 35,000 masks, with 100 by our family.

Attachments