Show us your design ideas.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Senior Space Cadet

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Have a rocket, you've designed, on one of the CAD programs, that you think is pretty cool (Do they say "cool" anymore?) or would perform well?
Scratch built a rocket you are proud of?
Have an idea for a rocket you'd like to see in kit form?
Let's see them!
Express yourself!

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You should rebuild it. That should have worked, redundant motors, redundant ejection systems.

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was stupid. It's built with ribs and stringers, so to prevent the 'chute being snagged by a rib I added a piece of tube to hold it: BT-50. The 'chute I judged I needed for the weight (it had a lot more nose weight than it needed, in hindsight) was too big for a BT-50, and with go fever setting in I jammed it in anyway. Even two D12 ejection charges couldn't push it out. Completely my fault.

I should rebuild it one of these days, and when I do I'll add an internal skin to the inside surfaces of the ribs above the motor mounts to hold the 'chute, not of a tube.

Senior Space Cadet

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There is a thread I started inviting people to post their "half baked" ideas. Mostly it's been my ideas, yet I keep encouraging others to contribute. May you have more luck.

I'll start it off for you. Here's one I built some years ago. (Then I smashed it on its maiden flight due to a total deployment failure.)
View attachment 292928View attachment 292929View attachment 292930View attachment 292931
View attachment 298471
Not sure how to find your thread.
I got chewed out for posting on Neil's similar thread.

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't say "chewed out". I gently pointed out a better alternative. When I posted here I didn't recognize that this thread came from the same person.

Anyway, mine has been mostly a failure in gathering posts from many people, so maybe this will do better.

(I think I included a link to my thread in the post to Neil's, but never mind. Let's give it a shot here.)

Funkworks

Reaction score
Basically, people have a choice between posting a new design:

- in an existing thread, or
- in a new thread of its own

The thing is I think new designs usually prompt enough discussions to have their own threads, so people choose the latter. Just a thought.