Show some love for Crazy Jim!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like we’re closing in on the $2,000 goal. I wonder if you should increase it to $5,000.

I think that’s unnecessary, and probably not helpful in the long run. Yes there is a psychological motivation if we are striving to reach a number, that may be a nudge for some folks. But I think the benefit of that is counterbalanced by the annoyance people may feel if we keep moving the goalpost. Just a reminder for all, there is no actual minimum or maximum amount. Anything and everything that we raise will go to Cj. PLEASE feel free to continue contributing right on past the $2,000 goal. Remember the actual need is closer to $20,000.

I think that’s unnecessary, and probably not helpful in the long run. Yes there is a psychological motivation if we are striving to reach a number, that may be a nudge for some folks. But I think the benefit of that is counterbalanced by the annoyance people may feel if we keep moving the goalpost. Just a reminder for all, there is no actual minimum or maximum amount. Anything and everything that we raise will go to Cj. PLEASE feel free to continue contributing right on past the $2,000 goal. Remember the actual need is closer to $20,000.
Saw Jim this summer shortly after surgery in Camden SC he looked great, before all this other dental stuff. Glad to help out a friend!

Saw Jim this summer shortly after surgery in Camden SC he looked great, before all this other dental stuff. Glad to help out a friend!

Doc Russell you carried us past the $2,000 goal, thank you!

You all are truly amazing. When I started the campaign I set the fundraising goal at $2,000 because I believed it was achievable. However I did not expect us to get there in 66 hours. I know I said it already but rocket people are awesome. I’ll leave the campaign in place even though we have reached the stated goal. Remember that there is no maximum amount or time limit, and that Cj’s actual expenses are far greater. So if you are coming across this thread for the first time in the next days and weeks and you’d like to contribute, please do. Jim mentioned that he would be paying for these procedures over the course of several months, so the ongoing support is needed and appreciated.

Doc Russell you carried us past the $2,000 goal, thank you!

You all are truly amazing. When I started the campaign I set the fundraising goal at $2,000 because I believed it was achievable. However I did not expect us to get there in 66 hours. I know I said it already but rocket people are awesome. I’ll leave the campaign in place even though we have reached the stated goal. Remember that there is no maximum amount or time limit, and that Cj’s actual expenses are far greater. So if you are coming across this thread for the first time in the next days and weeks and you’d like to contribute, please do. Jim mentioned that he would be paying for these procedures over the course of several months, so the ongoing support is needed and appreciated.

Jim is one of those guys that made me feel bad. I'd be at a launch and up to my ears. Sometimes I was too busy to mentor someone.

Jim would be at a launch, and he would be "crazy busy" and up to his ears. But he was never too busy to mentor someone.

Yore a legend Bro, love ya.

Pat G

Jim is one of those guys that made me feel bad. I'd be at a launch and up to my ears. Sometimes I was too busy to mentor someone.

Jim would be at a launch, and he would be "crazy busy" and up to his ears. But he was never too busy to mentor someone.

Yore a legend Bro, love ya.

Pat G

Thank you for contributing Pat!

Pat's comment from the fundraising page: "Yo buddy. You've given me a lot of grins over the years and I sure would miss not seeing yore purty mouth. So go get yourself some teeth. Love ya dude. Pat and Retta G PS. I busted out all my front teeth years ago in a hunting accident, so this two will pass.."

Mark Przybylski: "I try and read everything Cj has ever posted about rockets and I am a far better Rocketeer because of it. I only wish that I could give as much as he has over the years. Get well my friend!"

Terry Smemo: "I'm in. Jim's "entertainment value" is off the meter! Teeth are vital, dentures suck, implants are the way to go but cost a lot -- because they're WORTH a lot. I hope we can get to the 20K figure!"

Thank you both for your contributions!

I can't thank you guys enough AND don't worry about the ribbing. I can dish it out AND take it with the best of them.

Just hope when they are done with me I don't end up with the Chiclet's Smile...LOL
Ya almost have enough for an O-motor!!!

Do it...

Slight thread derail (that may also be controversial with some), but relative.
Beezwax, I'll delete this post if you feel it's out of line...let me know.

Hey CJim, if you are reading this thread....something to consider:

You might consider going to Mexico for dental work. After getting this tip from some friends, I went this way a bunch of years ago....and it's definitely THE way to go for me. Way, WAY cheaper, more efficient (depending on your own logistics), quick, and super high quality work. I myself go to the town of Algodones, which is right on the border near Yuma, Arizona. The situation there is pretty trippy. Basically, you step across the border (park on the US side), and right there are dozens of dentists, optometrists, and pharmacies. The whole economy of the place is built specifically around providing dental/eye care for mostly American senior citizens ("snowbirds"), but they of course will do work for anyone. There's a huge parking lot on the US side of the border, and you literally just walk through an opening (no customs or anything) and you are in Mexico. Now, there are some of the "less reputable" places you might imagine (think of a street hawker coming up to you and saying, "hey, you need an implant?"), but those are easy to avoid. Most of the operations are fully legit, very high quality, and great to work with. The main trick is to get a specific reference from someone who's been there, and make an appointment. I've had (and know other folks also) implants and crowns that have been problem-free for years, and I paid sometimes less than a quarter what it would have cost in the States. AND they do the work basically right away....no waiting for weeks (or even months) between phases of the job - often the complete work is done in just a single day, or maybe over 2-3 days time. They even accept checks for payment!

For someone who couldn't afford health/dental insurance, and with limited funds, it meant the difference between simply pulling/losing my teeth and having a full mouthful of useful ones. Which is a HUGE difference with a major impact on quality of life.

Algodones is awesome, and there are other border towns that have similar scenarios. You should look into it.

s6

Slight thread derail (that may also be controversial with some), but relative.
Beezwax, I'll delete this post if you feel it's out of line...let me know.

Hey CJim, if you are reading this thread....something to consider:

You might consider going to Mexico for dental work. After getting this tip from some friends, I went this way a bunch of years ago....and it's definitely THE way to go for me. Way, WAY cheaper, more efficient (depending on your own logistics), quick, and super high quality work. I myself go to the town of Algodones, which is right on the border near Yuma, Arizona. The situation there is pretty trippy. Basically, you step across the border (park on the US side), and right there are dozens of dentists, optometrists, and pharmacies. The whole economy of the place is built specifically around providing dental/eye care for mostly American senior citizens ("snowbirds"), but they of course will do work for anyone. There's a huge parking lot on the US side of the border, and you literally just walk through an opening (no customs or anything) and you are in Mexico. Now, there are some of the "less reputable" places you might imagine (think of a street hawker coming up to you and saying, "hey, you need an implant?"), but those are easy to avoid. Most of the operations are fully legit, very high quality, and great to work with. The main trick is to get a specific reference from someone who's been there, and make an appointment. I've had (and know other folks also) implants and crowns that have been problem-free for years, and I paid sometimes less than a quarter what it would have cost in the States. AND they do the work basically right away....no waiting for weeks (or even months) between phases of the job - often the complete work is done in just a single day, or maybe over 2-3 days time. They even accept checks for payment!

For someone who couldn't afford health/dental insurance, and with limited funds, it meant the difference between simply pulling/losing my teeth and having a full mouthful of useful ones. Which is a HUGE difference with a major impact on quality of life.

Algodones is awesome, and there are other border towns that have similar scenarios. You should look into it.

s6

Not a thread derail at all, that’s a great tip. Only Cj can determine if it’s a viable alternative (I know part of the significant expense was the extra precautions they needed to take because it’s not been long since his heart surgery) but it sure sounds like it’s worth looking into.

Stealth...appreciate the info. Problem is I must be OK'd by my heart surgeon to specific dentist/oral surgeon .Right before oral surgery they pump me up with antibiotics.

I am not cleared until 2 yrs from heart operation.[how long they say official heal time.]There is much bone loss in jaw from previous trauma [car wrecks where some teeth knocked out already and capped]
My case is the "one in 10,000" [of course it would happen to me...lol] so I must go through a whole procedure and be near my doctors in case something goes wrong. If there is ANY type infection..it goes straight to any foreign object locations in your body [knee-hip-valve replacements and the darn cadaver bone may take 4 months to "Take"...then they do implant posts.

My case is very different than most...would be much simpler if you could take my previous heart surgery out of the equation.
I had some friend inform me of the Mexican connection and my regular DR. said under normal situation OK, but no way now without a major risk.

Nice bucky beaver smile.....my new look!

Stealth...appreciate the info. Problem is I must be OK'd by my heart surgeon to specific dentist/oral surgeon .Right before oral surgery they pump me up with antibiotics.

I am not cleared until 2 yrs from heart operation.[how long they say official heal time.]There is much bone loss in jaw from previous trauma [car wrecks where some teeth knocked out already and capped]
My case is the "one in 10,000" [of course it would happen to me...lol] so I must go through a whole procedure and be near my doctors in case something goes wrong. If there is ANY type infection..it goes straight to any foreign object locations in your body [knee-hip-valve replacements and the darn cadaver bone may take 4 months to "Take"...then they do implant posts.

My case is very different than most...would be much simpler if you could take my previous heart surgery out of the equation.
I had some friend inform me of the Mexican connection and my regular DR. said under normal situation OK, but no way now without a major risk.

Nice bucky beaver smile.....my new look!
So I wouldn't.

I live in Laredo, TX and work with one of our fine 3-4 lettered agencies, and I know, along any US/mex municipality, it's a hot zone for trouble.

On a personal note, my parents were robbed while at a dentist office; my dad was anesthetized on the chair while being mugged and my mom had a rifle to her head... not fun.

Saying that, if you do it, you're welcome to stay at my place and I might be able to help with a security detail for you on the otherside.

Or get that O motor.

So I wouldn't.

I live in Laredo, TX and work with one of our fine 3-4 lettered agencies, and I know, along any US/mex municipality, it's a hot zone for trouble.

On a personal note, my parents were robbed while at a dentist office; my dad was anesthetized on the chair while being mugged and my mom had a rifle to her head... not fun.

Saying that, if you do it, you're welcome to stay at my place and I might be able to help with a security detail for you on the otherside.

Or get that O motor.

Holy crap! Uh, I vote for O motor.

We've raised over $3,000 in one week! You all are amazing, I know these donations and comments are truly appreciated. I'm getting behind in shout-outs...

Charles Rine, C Gould, and Fred Taverni, thank you for your contributions!

Comments from the campaign page:

Another Jim: "You know, he actually is crazy! We're gonna need another page ...."

Dave Cook: "Being new here I don't know Jim. But I believe what goes around, comes around. I may be in the same boat someday."

Stu Barrett: "Well... It's Crazy Jim!!"

Pat Harden: "He was my L3 TAP, and a wealth of knowledge!"

A Grippo: "Love Ya Jim, hope all works out well."

Thank you all for contributing!

Wow! Just came across this and very sorry to hear about Crazy Jim's woes. I can help a little now and more in the new year. We need to keep Jim healthy! I've got a lot more to learn!
NikeMikey

Thank you Mike!

Mike's comment from the campaign page: "I really appreciate what Crazy Jim has done for the hobby and especially all the lessons I have learned from reading his words (and pictures) of wisdom. NikeMikey"

Tony Alcocer: "$20k..? Heck we could make you some cool Carbon Fiber teeth for about 50 bucks! A yard or two of some nice 2x2 twill some Hysol E-120HP. Get Jarvis to help or your buddy Charlie from Carolina Composites. Think about it. Stripping wires, cutting shock cords etc. Chicks dig guys with Carbon Fiber...teeth..right?"

Now we're talking! I think you're onto something tfish, who says sexy can't be practical, right? Thank you for contributing sir :)

Tony Alcocer: "$20k..? Heck we could make you some cool Carbon Fiber teeth for about 50 bucks! A yard or two of some nice 2x2 twill some Hysol E-120HP. Get Jarvis to help or your buddy Charlie from Carolina Composites. Think about it. Stripping wires, cutting shock cords etc. Chicks dig guys with Carbon Fiber...teeth..right?"

Now we're talking! I think you're onto something tfish, who says sexy can't be practical, right? Thank you for contributing sir :)
Ahahahahah!!

Back