Show off your 3D printed rocket parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danh

Reaction score
There is a lot of people 3D printing rocket parts nowadays. Thought it would be cool to see what others are making.

Here is a few things I have printed:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481477876.311911.jpg
29mm saucer
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481477935.188555.jpg
29mm minimum dia translation to 24mm minimum dia. Still need to finish fincan for sustainer.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481478032.383096.jpg
Fin alignments
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481478059.334326.jpg
38mm fincan
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481478092.921996.jpg
Ebay bulkheads for usrockets banshee
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481478132.836676.jpg
More fincans and nosecones.

There another thread discussing this here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?137126-3D-printing

Here is a copy of my original post:
I am in the process of building a Nike Apache and have made use of 3D printing for the NC (4"), payload bay transition (3"-4") and interfin spacers (scale detail and camera mounts) on the Apache. All the details are here on the build thread:
https://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5019
Coupler1.png HalfSection.png AltsCompleted.JPG

NCSection.png NCCouplerInsideViewr.png mated2r2.png NCWithSled.png

spacerimageresize.png

I also tried to build the fins with a 3D printed isogrid core (bonded to CF skins) but I didn't have time to get the bonding right for the ABS. Went back to a G10 f/g core (CNC routed) for those fins.

The NC has had about six flights on my Velociraptor. No problems.

InHouse.JPG

If the Melbourne weather manages to improve from its unseasonable unreasonableness it is currently showing the Apache will fly solo next weekend on an M840. I'll let you know how the transition goes! It has been designed well for flight, but I am concerned it may suffer "broken chalk syndrome" when it lands. Probably not, but possible.

Using this as a baffle and recovery mount in my 4-29SS.

429-013.JPG

I hadn't really considered using 3D printed parts for things like bulkheads, figuring they wouldn't do well with the burning bits/heat produced by the BP. Have you found that not to be an issue, or do you end up coating the exposed surfaces with JB Weld or something to help insulate it?

For use in the rocket itself I've only printed sleds for altimeters and trackers and their associated batteries/cable management. I've been working on a camera shroud for the Firefly Q6 camera (for 1080p/60 on-board video, I've used Landru's shrouds for my Mobius cameras). I've also printed some jigs for drill guides and forming fins and the like.

I haven't had any issues , I do print with mostly abs not sure if it makes much difference. The heat and burning bp from ejection charges isn't there long enough to do any serious melting that I have found. Coating with epoxy would help with cleanup the layers like to collect debris . Which is also why I like abs because I can smooth out the layers with acetone.

For my LPR use I have been 3D printing what could best be called little oddball doodads (other than my fin jigs).

Nose cone twist lock:
[video=youtube;ZnauwGFMIOI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnauwGFMIOI[/video]

"Rod catcher":
[video=youtube;nJhjlvWauQY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJhjlvWauQY&t=3s[/video]

I am finding designing and 3D printing parts to be just about the most fun parts of my builds, even for my silly little thingamabobs. Maybe because the whole thing still seems so improbable and science-fictiony to me.

AIM Xtra with 1000mAh LiPo inside of a 54mm x 6" long bay. Also printed the switch band:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481650643.544689.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481650650.974057.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481650658.526256.jpg

54mm Raven sled. 3" long with broken out terminals for two events. This will be the primary board for my upcoming 54mm three stager. There will be a Raven in each booster with each controlling the separation charge, ignition, and recovery of their respective stage. The previously shared AIM Xtra board will control the sustainer with full telemetry.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481650887.488581.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481650901.224837.jpg

Last edited:
Last but not least for now, my ultra compact 54mm altimeter plate for the Altus Metrum EasyMini. Comfortably fits the altimeter, battery and switch in a 54mm coupler only 1.875" total length. Easily got redundant electronics systems inside a 4" long 54mm coupler. Available for sale from my website www.easyresearchrocketry.rocketryspot.com.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481651082.755489.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481651125.182862.jpg

Definitely last for now...I am getting ready to break ground on my LOC Ultimate, a 7x 29mm cluster rocket using the cases that I sell. I printed new CR's for the build and a fin alignment guide to assure the fins are perpendicular to the tube.

EfqZS0El.jpg

hywlYG7l.jpg

qaSjUEfl.jpg

For my LPR use I have been 3D printing what could best be called little oddball doodads (other than my fin jigs).

Nose cone twist lock:
[video=youtube;ZnauwGFMIOI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnauwGFMIOI[/video]

"Rod catcher":
[video=youtube;nJhjlvWauQY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJhjlvWauQY&t=3s[/video]

I am finding designing and 3D printing parts to be just about the most fun parts of my builds, even for my silly little thingamabobs. Maybe because the whole thing still seems so improbable and science-fictiony to me.

The twist lock nosecone is very cool! I like it!

Using this as a baffle and recovery mount in my 4-29SS.

429-013.JPG

What material are you printing with? Have you noticed any deformation from the ejection charges?

Last edited:
Dan,
Nice Ultimate you've got started! I hope you've taken into account the thrust rings on your cases (or maybe your research cases have smaller rings?). I had to tweak the hole spacing on the rings from LOC in order to fit Aerotech cases in all holes, but they still fit!

Look forward to seeing what you stuff in it.
-Ken

Dan,
Nice Ultimate you've got started! I hope you've taken into account the thrust rings on your cases (or maybe your research cases have smaller rings?). I had to tweak the hole spacing on the rings from LOC in order to fit Aerotech cases in all holes, but they still fit!

Look forward to seeing what you stuff in it.
-Ken

Yep, they fit. I'm having a retaining ring machined that will look a lot like the CR and will retain the motors via their thrust rings.

What material are you printing with? Have you noticed any deformation from the ejection charges?

Dan;

I could have sworn I responded to this already, but here goes again.....

I'm using ABS for all my printing. Haven't flown with this exact baffle yet so I can't provide experience on THIS part. However I've had a few flights now using ABS bulkheads and haven't seen any evidence the material is being affected at all. I'm also using Doghouse charge wells on a couple rockets, which are PVC, and those are holding up quite nicely too. So considering the dwell time and such for the exhaust gases I'm not concerned in the least. Worst case, all I'll be out is a body tube as it's the upper section on the rocket I'm building, and all the fins and motor mount are in the lower. I'm also thinking about my Mosquito which I use a nomex wrap on the chute, and the nose cone gets a pretty regular blast of ejection charge from a closer distance. That nose is ABS as well and hasn't seen any issues. I fly the hell out of that Mosquito.

-Hans

I recently made this tail cone for a 54mm MAC Performance Radial Flyer. I thought that the use of a boat tail motor on the 3" version really made the profile of the rocket, but there's no such option for the 54mm size with a 29mm mount. So I designed this piece to do the job. I tried to balance mass and structure, making it robust enough to tolerate a rough landing without adding too much weight to the wring end. The large counterbore on the aft end is to allow a 29mm Aero Pack retainer to be partially recessed.

30818562924_6d88a367f6_z.jpg
30818562644_84de03f756_z.jpg

Yep, they fit. I'm having a retaining ring machined that will look a lot like the CR and will retain the motors via their thrust rings.

3 screws works, too. :wink:20130430_202423_zpsded00865.jpg

Now you guys have me wanting a 3D printer, with all these cool ideas.
It would be useful info for each of you to note what kind of printer (and filament) you're using.
Thanks,
-Ken

Anyone know if anyone has ever tried 3D printed fins with an airfoiled, light weight geometric internal structure (I'm visualizing a skinless WWII Wellington bomber) with an epoxy adhered skin, say Tyvek?

Anyone know if anyone has ever tried 3D printed fins with an airfoiled, light weight geometric internal structure (I'm visualizing a skinless WWII Wellington bomber) with an epoxy adhered skin, say Tyvek?

No, but I have done an isogrid core of G10, CNC routed, with CF skins. Tried a printed ABS core but adhesion was not predictable.
ReadyForSecondSide.JPG

Now you guys have me wanting a 3D printer, with all these cool ideas.
It would be useful info for each of you to note what kind of printer (and filament) you're using.
Thanks,
-Ken[/QUOTE]

I have a da Vinci 1.0a flashed with repetier .92 and use simplify3d for my slicer. I mostly print with abs but have used everything from ninja flex to nylon.

I have a Monoprice Maker Select i3 v2 (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13860) that I have modified per the Wiki articles online (https://3dprinterwiki.info). Biggest mods were the z-brace to solidify the z-axis, adding a glass printing bed, then printing a new spool holder and filament guide. Printers are almost like milling machines...you can upgrade them extensively by printing parts on the actual printer you intend to upgrade!

The printer has logged 15 days and 20.5 hrs of print time and has worked its way through 1149.1m of filament without a single clog using the off-the-shelf extruder.

I use Cura as my slicer software and Hatchbox filament from Amazon. If someone is interested in learning my settings, shoot me a PM.

Ultimate - 1.jpg

Back