Show Of Hands: How Many Of Us Had Radio Shack's SFX-4000 Aeronautical Lab Kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one. The biggest accomplishment was building the stick and tissue plane which turned out well. Unfortunately when over winding the rubber band the fuselage was crushed.

OMG that brings back memories! I got one of these when I was way too young and didn't have any adult guidance on building any of the projects. I do have good memories of it though, and it definitely piqued my curiosity and made me want to pursue aerospace topics.

One funny recollection I have about the rocket launch controller... keep in mind this was prior to me ever discovering Estes rockets or ever seeing a model rocket fly. I just remember building their launch controller and not being able to get the huge spark to jump between the wires of the launch controller. :) The picture in the instructions showed a huge "spark" generated by the controller, and in my mind, I pictured a Jacob's Ladder type spark. I had no idea of the concept of an igniter and simply passing current through it to make it work.

I got one in '83, and have bought two more since.

View attachment 651077
I got mine for Christmas, 1977 and still had quite a bit of it before we moved. It didn't survive the move. I was tooling around on eBay after the move and got a good deal on another one, but the plastic nose cone had deteriorated and crumbled when I tried to put it together. I found another one and the build became one of my last reviews at RocketReviews.com.
https://www.rocketreviews.com/explorer-logix-explorer.html

When I was a kid one Christmas I got that aero kit, my brother got the electronics kit. I am an aerospace engineer and he is an electrical engineer. I think we already knew what we were interested in even then.

I got mine for Christmas in the mid-70's. 100% responsible for my interest in rocketry. I was way to young also, but I was able to figure most of the projects out. Fun memories of the rubber band launched rocket. Lol

Yup, I have/ had one too.
As a matter of fact, I just moved the remnants to a new spot while getting stuff together for LDRS.
Mine came from a yard sale sometime in the mid 80's all of it was there except for the rocket motors.

Have one of these somewhere in the basement of my parents house.

1719190500470.jpeg

Fun memories of the rubber band launched rocket.
I had forgotten about that until I read your words! Ah, memories...

Have one of these somewhere in the basement of my parents house.

1719190500470.jpeg
Is there anything remotely like this for kids today? My brother got one when we were kids, maybe the same Christmas I got the aero kit. It wasn't the 150, it was a smaller set, but still cool.

I'd love to get something like that for my kid, but everything today seems more specific (like "here's an electronic kit to build this ONE thing").

Is there anything remotely like this for kids today? My brother got one when we were kids, maybe the same Christmas I got the aero kit. It wasn't the 150, it was a smaller set, but still cool.

I'd love to get something like that for my kid, but everything today seems more specific (like "here's an electronic kit to build this ONE thing").

I'm not sure, but you can find them on Ebay from time to time.
I had endless amounts of fun with that.... and my chemistry set.

The first two are a little silly looking; the last one is most like the older Science Fair kits. Honestly, your best bet might be to watch eBay for one in decent shape, searching on "Radio Shack Science Fair kit"

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-STEM-Toys...07&sprefix=electronics+kit+100,aps,106&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Playz-Engine...50621&sprefix=electronics+kit,aps,179&sr=8-37

https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Elect...electronics+circuit+kit,aps,115&sr=8-114&th=1

Back