Should the watering hole be eliminated?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should The Watering Hole be eliminated?

• No, I love hearing about the most offensive things possibly on a rocketry forum

• Of course, Kill it now

• print the files out and burn them

• There is no need for this trash, nuke it all please

Results are only viewable after voting.

DavidMcCann

Reaction score
What do you think?

My vote is to kill it. It's just wholly pointless to have an OT forum, and especially to give it the top position on the forum.

Last edited:
Given that the majority of locked threads come from the water hole, YES. This forum is about rocketry , and most of the dissension starts here at the Watering Hole.

Yes,
Then I can post all my guns/god/politics threads in all the other sub forums!

s6

Yes,
Then I can post all my guns/god/politics threads in all the other sub forums!

s6

You know, Oddly enough, and I looked into this with a google search....there are other forums on the internets!!! I know I was shocked too. Some of them are even about God/guns'politics... some even ALL THREE!!!!!

Some topics just don't belong and some folks are repeated offenders of topics that don't belong. Why not just eliminate the offenders?

Given that the majority of locked threads come from the water hole, YES. This forum is about rocketry , and most of the dissension starts here at the Watering Hole.

Locked threads are a working remedy and not a problem in themselves. No one needs to eliminate anything.

or.........

Eliminate the Watering Hole? Are you insane?
What would there be to post about? Just rockets? How absurd.

s6

Locked threads are a working remedy and not a problem in themselves. No one needs to eliminate anything.

Not to be angry or anything, but what is the possible benefit of the waterhole, or any OT section for that matter? Sharing other interests with other rocketeers? to be honest, I don't see the point. It'd be like wanting to post rocketry threads on a knitting forum.

I'm usually in the "if you don't like it, don't read it" camp. But the watering hole is just an eyesore...and it's inexplicably -right at the top- of the forum. At least bury it at the bottom.

What do you think?

No, because then we would never be able to discuss non-rocketry related things, and it would be incredibly hard to make any friends, since other that rocketry specific stuff, I would have no idea who I was talking to.
I'de probably never send anyone any free anything, and they likewise probably not send me free stuff, as we would not have a sense of who we were, or I was into the same kinds of stuff as them.

I like to know a little more about who I'm talking to then if they like rockets, and that's why I don't bother anymore with the other rocket forums that come and go.
If this Forum got rid of The Watering Hole, it would greatly reduce the sense of community, and I'de probably have nothing worth sharing and loose my interest in stuff like safety and other things that having a sense of being part of a community of Human Beings entails.
I'd just go back to hanging out on Survivalist Boards and Gun Forums. I don't have any real people to talk to, and sometimes I have a quirky opinion that needs to be shared with somebody, if only so they can save me from myself.:wink:
Sure, I can stay on topic when I need to, but sometimes it's nice to talk about bird watching or "Guns and Rockets", with folks I know, atleast as far as I can get to know them by the materials they work with and their opinions about stuff they like or don't like.

I'm usually in the "if you don't like it, don't read it" camp. But the watering hole is just an eyesore...and it's inexplicably -right at the top- of the forum. At least bury it at the bottom.

Actually that's not a bad idea. Nothing wrong with moving it down to the bottom. Better than banning everything that doesn't fit one of the headings.

No, because then we would never be able to discuss non-rocketry related things

It's a Rocketry forum...... deeeerp. I hate to say it, but unless we're sitting around a campfire at a launch, I don't really care about anyone here's personal life. That may sound harsh, but unless it comes up as a funny tangent on a thread, who cares if you like fishing? I don't.

The "yes" camp are the same people who need government and laws to guide and direct them safely through their lives. The "no" camp have the sensibilities, intellect and autonomy to make their own logical, reasonable decisions guiding themselves safely through their own lives.

There are some good threads within the watering hole. Not all are offensive, or even not rocket related. Not a complete list, just some recent ones
What kits do you have
What did you do rocket wise today
3D printed Saturn V

I wish to get a good set of opinions this should have been set up with a simple yes/no selection.

PS - even if the watering hole went away, do you think it would stop people from posting offensive things in other discussion sections?
It's the people posting not the sections that they post in that cause the issues
There have been locked threads in other sections as people get too invested on the right type of glue, painting process, and the meaning of CATO.... :wink:

I'm still waiting for a reason to even have an OT forum....

Well for starters, you wouldn't have even started this thread if you thought there was no reason else we wouldn't know how you really feel about the watering hole!

Actually that's not a bad idea. Nothing wrong with moving it down to the bottom. Better than banning everything that doesn't fit one of the headings.

To be honest, I don't mind an OT section. But too many people use it as a political springboard, or just wholly weird things for a rocketry forum. Some of the stuff here is just....why would you come and post some of this on a rocket forum?

Biking threads, BBQ threads, show your car threads..... ok I get that.

Gun threads, hey we all like guns, but we're starting to push it here, we all know that's a touchy thing.

Political crap, religious crap, and overly personal information? Yea I don't get it. It's become a dumping ground for people's emotional and mental garbage.

The "yes" camp are the same people who need government and laws to guide and direct them safely through their lives. The "no" camp have the sensibilities, intellect and autonomy to make their own logical, reasonable decisions guiding themselves safely through their own lives.

Here is a good reason to drop it, posts like this wouldn't exist.

Because you are in the yes camp you're essentially an idiot mindless zombie meandering your way through life. But if you are in the no camp then you are not only intellectually superior you are also better equipped to make it through life :eyeroll:

Cthulhu says no. He feeds on the emotions frothing about in the Watering Hole

It's been there since the beginning and so has this discussion. I'd leave it if it were up to me. Any user who doesn't want to wallow in the muck is welcome not to read those threads. Ultimately, it should be up to the owner/admins/mods who have to spend their time on it.

It's been there since the beginning and so has this discussion. I'd leave it if it were up to me. Any user who doesn't want to wallow in the muck is welcome not to read those threads. Ultimately, it should be up to the owner/admins/mods who have to spend their time on it.

So you guys would be ok with me starting a thread to discuss my favorite sexual positions?

I mean if you don't like it you don't have to read it.....

Hell, why do we lock any thread then....if people don't like where they go, they can simply not read them....

The problem I've had with other forums is stuff like this girl from Virginia that drove all the way up here to stalk and get with me, which she did, but I found out she was crazy, and I did not really want a girlfriend at the time anyhow, but she had driven all the way from Virginia, so it was so incredibly awkward to tell her to get lost.
I'm pretty sure she planned to commit an act of violence against me. In real life, she turned out to not be knowledgeable at all about anything that that particular Forum was about, so it was really fishy.
At least here, I'll be hanging out with fellow nerdy types and recluses that most likely don't want to meet me in person, and certainly would not drive half way across the country to watch me use CA on carbon fiber.
Unless your into that kind of thing, which is fine by me...:lol::rofl:

So you guys would be ok with me starting a thread to discuss my favorite sexual positions?

I mean if you don't like it you don't have to read it.....

Hell, why do we lock any thread then....if people don't like where they go, they can simply not read them....

Ok Dave, tell us about your favorite sexual positions.

If the Watering Hole goes away, I may be tempted to start a bunch of build threads of politically themed rockets. With nudity and firearms. Just because this is America.

The problem I've had with other forums is stuff like this girl from Virginia that drove all the way up here to stalk and get with me, which she did, but I found out she was crazy, and I did not really want a girlfriend at the time anyhow, but she had driven all the way from Virginia, so it was so incredibly awkward to tell her to get lost.
I'm pretty sure she planned to commit an act of violence against me. In real life, she turned out to not be knowledgeable at all about anything that that particular Forum was about, so it was really fishy.
At least here, I'll be hanging out with fellow nerdy types and recluses that most likely don't want to meet me in person, and certainly would not drive half way across the country to watch me use CA on carbon fiber.
Unless your into that kind of thing, which is fine by me...:lol::rofl:

Learning things like this about people is exactly why the watering hole is a bad idea.

I don't know what the owner/admins/mods say but if I were them and you did, well, take a guess. Posts would be removed and bans would be instituted. Then people would get mad and start another forum.

BTW I have no idea what set you off, and I'm not going to go look.

I don't know what the owner/admins/mods say but if I were them and you did, well, take a guess. Posts would be removed and bans would be instituted. Then people would get mad and start another forum.

BTW I have no idea what set you off, and I'm not going to go look.

Probably had something to do with a thread about circumcision.

David, if you don't like the Watering Hole, don't open it. Just go right past and you'll have nothing to fuss about.

Back