Should I put primer over the detail on the new Estes Nike Smoke Kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegillbronco2

Reaction score
Here is the kit I am talking about:https://www.estesrockets.com/new/007247-nike-smoke

It is a brand new and I really enjoyed putting it together over 2 days. But I will start finishing the rocket This week end and I have a question. Should I put primer over the nosecone. The reason why I am asking this is because the nosecone has detail witch I assume is to look like the actual Smoke payload. Some of is is actually pretty fine and I fear a lot of the detail will be lost If i apply Primer on it like I do will all of my other rockets. I was thinking I would just skip the primer and go strait to paint but I wanted to ask you guys first.

Due to the issues of paint bonding well to that type plastic, I would primer it. But I wouldn't use standard primer.

You want a light, fine mist primer. The spray primer designed for models and figurines would probably be the best option. I would suggest you experiment with its compatibility to your paint of choice prior to using it. I'm not personally familiar with the filling and sanding of the Testor primer. That may be an option as well. Also look into Tamiya (sp?) primers. Anything designed for small models is usually designed to cover without high buildup.

Ok thank you Kruegon, What I will probably Is just spray one one lighter coat of primer and two layers of paint. Finishing is certainly not my strongest skill. But one day I guess I will get decent at it.

Here's my two cents -
Be sure to wash down the nose cone to remove any remaining "release" coat from the molding process.
A light primer coat should be fine, you just wouldn't sand the primer down to surface leaving filler in the details.
If the primer seems rough, rubbing with a soft cloth should smooth it out.

Many spray paints claim "primer and paint in one!" but I don't believe it.

Back