Should I lauch if there's snow?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkmilion

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should launch if there's snow on the ground. I fear that it might damage my BT's. I've lived here all my life and thought snow really isn't that wet.

My plan is to take a towel and wipe them off after retrevial, and immediately take out the motor.

Any other suggestions? Should I just ground 'em or what?

Go for it!

The only a few problem.

The depth of the snow. Bring snowshoes or find someone with a snowmobile to retrieve for you. Very tiring to walk in...or a good workout...depends on your point of view.

If you use Estes paper wound engines get 'em out of the snow quick before the spent hot motors melt the snow and start the casing swelling up so ya can't get it out.

Other than that...bundle up...you can have so much fun you forget how cold it is.

Leave your parachutes at home and just use streamers...snow is soft!

This side (the "sunrise side") of Michigan is about the same temperature as the west side so STAY WARM!

sandman

I would think you might want to avoid solid white rockets...!!!

Snow launching can be a lot of fun! Last year, I went down to the local field to fly an Estes Skywriter on an Aerotech D21T.:eek: There was about 2 feet of snow. We launched it and saw it come down in another field. So I stepped off the road that separates the two fields, and sunk up to my chest in snow!:eek: I completely forgot about the deep ditch on the side of the road :rolleyes: It took me quite a while to get out. My brother retrieved what we saw come down. It was just the nosecone and streamer. I think the rocket is still going up.

On a cool note, we didn't have the blast deflector on the launch pad. There was a 1" diameter hole in the snow. It went down about 2 and a half feet!:)

I didn't have too much trouble. I lost two out of three. Which was do to wind and cloud cover. I had my address/phone number on them, but I bet by the time I get them it'll be too late. On a good note: The third was the Estes Wacky Wiggler, which went perfect. All I had to do is wipe out the BT segments a bit and it was good to go. I only had a half hour to blow so that's all I got in.

Sandman,
I had 15 layers and a parka I was all toasty even sweating.

Only bring the BP motors that you are planning to use out to the field in the winter time. Leave your extras at home in the warm house. That way you don't temperature cycle your whole inventory several times before spring. Some R&D reports have been done that suggests temp cycling BP motors can cause propellant cracks, leading to Cato's.
Another tip: flourscent orange stands out really well in snow. One of our club members launched a misquito on an Estes A10 one Feb. We all lost sight of it on takeoff! Another member spoted it on the ground 100' away! Dress warm, have fun!

I reckon it would be awesome to launch rockets in the snow.

I wish i could do it ....... but it never snows in melbourne!!! (It just rains....)

be sure to give us some picks of the "snow launch" :D

Go for it. I often launch in the snow and love launching on the middle of frozen lakes (CAUTION: Verify the ice safety before trying this!)

Worry more about *your* safety, the rockets'll take care of themselves pretty much :)

Also, be sure to rub talc on the 'chutes to keep them soft for good deployment.

jim

These were taken in early December. We don't have much snow right now.
I don't know if it will show up well in the photo, but I got powder all over my Spitfire.

Larry

Flight was nice and straight until it was coasting, then there was a slight corkscrew. I think this was on a D12-5. Good chute and nice landing. The snow was crusted so it wasn't real soft.
Larry

Must have been a really hard landing...looks like your rocket got bent!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Must have been a really hard landing...looks like your rocket got bent!

sandman

Yea, but it sure looks cooool that way:D

Back