Should I join NAR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepin4Him

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I'm something of a BAR (though I'm only 23), I only get to launch maybe twice a month or whenever time permits. I would only give myself a 5% chance of ever going for high power. Though I might think about doing mid-power at sometime in the future.
The magazine alone I don't think is worth the $55 they want each year, which, based on the one issue I've seen caters more to the high power folks. The insurance though is a whole 'nother can of worms.
So that brings me to my question. Should I bother to join?
Thanks for your thoughts

I joined, though i don't have as much of a feee being a junior... I'd say if you really want the insurance join, if not join when you want to do HPR.

It really depends on the direction of your interests. I didn’t think I would be doing high power either, but I will level 2 here in a few weeks I hope. Competition is also a consideration since altitude is pretty much it in TRA.

I live on the west coast so it’s a four hour drive to the best place on the planet to launch rockets, the Black rock desert:cool:, 4 launches a year plus a few outside my club is all my budget allows anyway.

Sport Rocketry magazine makes it worth the while to join, not to mention NARTS, discounts, insurance, and national model rocketry events. I have literally have hundreds of low power models, which is what I enjoy flying. I usually only find time to launch with a local NAR section which amounts to once or twice a month. I really don't see Sport Rocketry as catering to high power, I think its very well balanced publication for what it has to do. If you are going to fly often or help others building and flying rockets then the national membership is well worth the money. If you are only planning to dabble a bit with the hobby then maybe not.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055 Section #535 Tri City Sky Busters

I'm not the kind of person who likes to join groups, but I joined the NAR and it was one of the best decisions I've made.

Going to my local NAR branch meetings brought me into contact with really great, knowledgeable, helpful, folks. Very focused on the low-power stuff I like to fly. The local monthly meeting is the one thing I really look forward to all month.

And as for the cost, I've saved enough on books through NARTS and discounts on stuff at the meetings to make my membership cost almost nothing.

Originally posted by Jeepin4Him
Hey folks,
I'm something of a BAR (though I'm only 23), I only get to launch maybe twice a month or whenever time permits. I would only give myself a 5% chance of ever going for high power. Though I might think about doing mid-power at sometime in the future.
The magazine alone I don't think is worth the $55 they want each year, which, based on the one issue I've seen caters more to the high power folks. The insurance though is a whole 'nother can of worms.
So that brings me to my question. Should I bother to join?
Thanks for your thoughts

One thing NAR is doing that's worth the money IMO is fighting ATFE in court to prevent them from making our hobby extremely difficult to pursue, if not illegal. See the links to the ATFE story on the NAR home page at nar.org.

Yes, so far it only involves mid-to-high power stuff. Figure the odds that if ATFE wins, they'll leave BP alone. They've already got igniters classified as explosives.

The more people we have, the more people potentially influenced by the ATFE silliness and the more impact the fight itself has.

I wouldn't trust any insurance to cover an accident that hadn't specifically been told that rockets were involved. I think they'd fight it, and count on the cost of the fight in orderto win it. At least with NAR you have insurance that specifically states it covers rockets, and hopefully the NAR would stand with you in a fight.

Despite flying for over 10 years as a kid, I did not join NAR until last year. I am very happy I did.

This year, I actually attended NARAM, which I NEVER thought I would ever do. It was the rocket vacation of a lifetime!!

Phred

Discounts!? Hmm...I like the sound of that. Do any online retailers give discounts to NAR members? By the way...I looked on the NAR site for a rocket club around here...nothing unfortunately :(

Originally posted by Jeepin4Him
Discounts!? Hmm...I like the sound of that. Do any online retailers give discounts to NAR members? By the way...I looked on the NAR site for a rocket club around here...nothing unfortunately :(

Start one.

If there's not enough people, get some science teachers interested, get them to bring rockets into the curriculum, and let them teach you up a batch of members.

If there was hobby shops around you that sell rockets, put up flyers.

On the other hand, I think it is worth it for the magazine alone. Don't judge it on the content of one issue. The content varies, but the quality is pretty consistent.

Back