Should be "Thumbs Down" icon available

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was actually a period of time where you could up- and down-vote posts on TRF.

Turns out the that the type of person that posts stuff that attracts down-votes also tends to be the type of person that doesn't take too kindly to receiving those down-votes. At least that was my perception from a user perspective. The mods and admins from that time would know more about that.

The feature was short-lived.

Reinhard

I use the laugh emoji all the time (not really "all" the time). Sometimes it's because I think someone's comment is funny. Sometimes it's because I think someone's comment is a ridiculous. Sometimes it's because I think someone's reaction is hilarious. Sometimes it's because I think someone's action makes me giggle.

In all cases, it's because it made me laugh.

It's just an emoji on a hobby board full of differing experiences and opinions. Same thing could be said of the "thumbs down" emoji.

YouTube recently removed publicly visible “thumb down” counts:

https://blog.youtube/news-and-events/update-to-youtube/
I for one didn’t get into rocketry for the arguments :rolleyes:. Only for the awesome 😳and silly 🤪 builds I saw here.

I also get bored easily and emojis seem to wake me up. Best thing since the Simpsons.

I do that regular b&w typing the rest of the day.

I use the laugh emoji all the time (not really "all" the time). Sometimes it's because I think someone's comment is funny. Sometimes it's because I think someone's comment is a ridiculous. Sometimes it's because I think someone's reaction is hilarious. Sometimes it's because I think someone's action makes me giggle.

In all cases, it's because it made me laugh.

It's just an emoji on a hobby board full of differing experiences and opinions. Same thing could be said of the "thumbs down" emoji.
Putting a smile on someone's face is the greatest gift of all. I don't understand why someone would be bothered giving that gift ...

Though I still use emojis, I also remember the internet before "likes," "dislikes" and "points" and I'm beginning to miss it. On the upside, "likes" and "smiles" have probably saved forums from swathes of numerous "I liked that post" or "I agree" responses. On the downside, they can make a site feel like a "points contest" where people might gauge "popularity" by post/point ratios. Over the years, when I've seen "thumbs down" icons implemented on various sites, I've also seen many online communities go downhill. In those cases, some people who previously didn't seem to care about emojis suddenly seemed to care if one of their posts received a "thumbs down" with no explanation. It sounds like something similar might have happened here a while back as well. One could argue that people are being too sensitive in such cases and maybe so. In any case, I've seen too many sites become inundated with angry "why did my post get 6 downvotes?" posts in the past. There's something about receiving a "thumbs down" that brings out the worst in some people.

Last edited:
I think we all know that some people say things on the internet, they would never say to your face. And there's the whole problem of nuance and visual cues. People know by your expression when the've crossed a line and unless they're just looking for a fight, they tend to deescalate pretty fast. The internet is a strange bird. You have the close to realtime response, but without the previously mentioned cues. It produced the infamous keyboard commandos or whatever they call it now. Real tough guys and gals that say some really vile things, to people they really don't know. If they did that IRL they would soon be sampling hospital food or worse. I get angry at times reading forums, but I honestly try to self censor. I can't count the times I've deleted posts I've written or just closed the browser. Not because I'm afraid of anyone, but afraid to violate my principles. I'm not a pacifist by any stretch, but also not an instigator. I genuinely care about people, as my beliefs teach. Getting a jab in on someone, isn't worth damaging my conscience. And as the book says, Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall see God. I vote no on the thumbs down icon. Not that it's a vote, ; )

P.S. Someone will go though all my past comments and say "what about this and this". All I can say is, I'm a sinner saved by grace, but I strive to be better. You'll find angry responses I'm sure, but hopefully only defensive ones. And if you find where I've offended you, let me know. I will ask you for forgiveness and try never to do it again. In the end that's all anyone can do. Cheers ; )

I just don't take much of anything I read on a hobby forum seriously enough to care about what emojis are or are not available. Of course I also don't get upset if I'm not getting real time updates in e-mail when threads are updated.

If you don't want to, or can't find the words to let someone know your don't like what they have to say, the 'ignore' mode works very well.

I sometimes think I spend more time hitting the: "ignore/delete/hide/remove/unfriend/block/unfollow" buttons than I do posting.

There was actually a period of time where you could up- and down-vote posts on TRF.

Turns out the that the type of person that posts stuff that attracts down-votes also tends to be the type of person that doesn't take too kindly to receiving those down-votes. At least that was my perception from a user perspective. The mods and admins from that time would know more about that.

The feature was short-lived.

Reinhard
The idea, at the time, was that once members accumulated a "score" of positive vs. negative "votes", new members to the forum would have a better idea of which voices to which they might want to listen. The thinking, at the time, was that until you are better acquainted with who's who on the forum, it's difficult to tell who is just "loud" or has a high post count, and who actually knows what they are talking about. It was a feature that could be turned on with the forum software (which has since changed, so I have no idea if it still exists). So, we tried it.

And forum members almost universally hated it. And they hated it from day one, and complained so vociferously that no one ever accumulated enough "votes" to have a useful "score" before we gave up and turned it off.

I don't see having a thumbs down emoji option as anything but an opportunity for some of our members to cyber-bully other members. And I really don't see an upside.

A strategy I adopted long ago when writing emails or responses on forums is to go ahead, write the long, vociferous, in-you-face, vicious diatribe, then go grab a beverage (mostly Diet Dr. Pepper or iced tea, these days) then come back and delete the whole thing.

(Damn, this Bruckner Symphony No. 7 is nice! Thanks, @hobie1dog!)

I am leaning towards not having a thumbs-down icon. Quite a few times I have thought it would be a good idea, but if I disagree with something I make a post and put forward my viewpoint. That way there is progress. Having just a "disagree" icon achieves mostly nothing.

Also, when do you click it? When you only slightly disagree? Greatly disagree?

Had no idea anyone interpreted 🤣 as disagreement. Will have to stop using it then. To anyone who saw me post that to their posts, rest assured, I thought you were funny.

Maybe if there is such disagreement on the meaning of what seem to be straightforward symbols, they should be removed from the forum altogether?

Back